Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inquiring about a '08 raptor I found that the seller has DMC dual"s with no lid and a billet adaptor with k&n filter. He says he ran with a controller and it ran like shit so he took it off and it runs much better. im gonna pass on it but from what you guys have written on here, thats not the right set-up, thoughts? how long till she Blows?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
SOON! Haha the fireworks should start soon... Most likely he plugged in the controller and didn't load a map OR he plugged it into the other plug that fits but isn't right. You need a fuel controller in order to run aftermarket exhausts, internals, and intake. Good idea to not buy it because my guess is he is lying about it running much better or much better was from gritty black spark plug to nasty-half-gritty spark plug.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah from what I understand is a s/o with the lid on is as much you can have without a controller needed. So duals without a lid is enough to blow that biotch up. Thats why i havent jumped on these raptors with extras that i've seen, no contollers with full exausts, im not touchin em.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's exactly what I did when I was buying mine. I only wanted a bare bone stock quad. I saw so many with mods and no controllers. If the owner didn't know to buy a fuel controller then what else wasn't maintained right

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Then again there is a catch. The Raptor ECU can be reprogrammed by the dealer to give more fuel to compensate for mods. I know lots of you here think it's an urban legend and I thought so at first but my friend ran a full pipe with GYTR intake + filter, no lid and a HC2 for years without a controller and his engine is still top notch. He had the stuff installed at the dealer when he bought the bike and there is no controller on it but the dealer did mess with the ECU using a dealer-only tool that hooks in a white connector in the back area.

The only issue with this is that it's a linear increase so it's not very precise. Pipes tend to open up the top more than the bottom for instance and this way of adjusting will just increase the fuel curve 1:1 all along the powerband whereas mods might require more fuel up top, etc. This means he might run a bit lean at WOT but fine at other levels.

My friend recently had it reset and he is using a controller now after he replaced his single pipe with duals. He figured it was a good time to do it right. His bike has over 20k miles and he never had an issue, I have worked on this bike and he's been my best ridding buddy for 3 years now so this ain't the friend of a friend of the cousin of my neighbor.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
WOW! ^ Thats crazy!!! I've heard of that before but always thought as you said, it was fake... The stealerships around me are pretty damn sketchy though and I'd have to roll out far to find a quality stealer who wasn't just for standard parts. But yea to wrap this up, you should probably stay safe and skip the ones without controllers because not everyone know about adjusting the ECU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts