Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the parts ready to do my 01 motor in the spring- have wiseco 11:1,hotcam S2,hotcam spring kit coming,will probally get SS valves also.
Do i need the decompression unit in the motor? I saw a post by coalshedracing [i think] that gave a compression reading w/ and w/o decompression unit. Is this thing there to help start the motor? Is it needed and will it effect performance?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
it is possible to completly do away with the auto-decompression mechanism but only with the largest of cams, the stage 2 cam does not have enough overlap to bleed off the compression so you will still need to run the decompression mechanism to get the motor to turn over.

·
Registered
960 Posts
so you could do it with the stage 3 not that i am going to but just for clarifcation reasons

·
Registered
839 Posts
You could always get the manual decomp on the side of the head. Unless you do that you will need atleast a grizzly hd battery. There are 2 versions stock and HD the HD has 330cca. New battery cables everywhere and an extra ground.We start our 14:1 794cc without a decomp because we run a 3 plug head.It will be harder on your starter clutch too.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Steve, don't you guys run the drag cam in that 794?

The point I was trying to convey is that he wouldn't be able to just throw some parts together and not run a decompression setup, he could do it if he selected a cam with enough overlap though but that cam would probably not be the best suited cam for his needs.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Poweredbycoors said:
I am getting the parts ready to do my 01 motor in the spring- have wiseco 11:1,hotcam S2,hotcam spring kit coming,will probally get SS valves also.
Do i need the decompression unit in the motor? I saw a post by coalshedracing [i think] that gave a compression reading w/ and w/o decompression unit. Is this thing there to help start the motor? Is it needed and will it effect performance?
Do you need it: Technically no.
Is it there to help start the motor: Yes
Is it needed: Again, no.
Will it effect performance: No.

The rest of the posts do a pretty good job of explaining why you shouldn't simply remove it with your setup. My guess is that you'll be best off by just keeping it intact with your setup and desired use. But if you're seriously interested then I'd look into the manual decompression mechanisms that most builders now install. Honestly, I still think you'll be happier keeping it as is.

·
Registered
839 Posts
CoalShedRacing said:
Steve, don't you guys run the drag cam in that 794?

The point I was trying to convey is that he wouldn't be able to just throw some parts together and not run a decompression setup, he could do it if he selected a cam with enough overlap though but that cam would probably not be the best suited cam for his needs.
Nah were runing an X4. Thats Tims selection so that where we went. The ovlerlap thing is correct though.If I remeber correctly Hotcams used to reccomend increased octane fuel for the stage 1 cams because of the cylinder pressure and not with the stage 2. I think he would be killing a semi stock engine with a big overlap cam.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Maddog56 said:
Tim's in a deep love with the x4, and with the builds he gets with them I'm not going to disagree.
I've spent a bunch of money testing cams and I have not found a cam that would beat the X4 in a motor over 700ccs, in the smaller motors (mine anyway) the stage 2 gave better average power and far better TQ but the X4 edged it out in peak HP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.