Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the spark arrestor removed and a K & N filter my 02 660 is stock. I plan on modifing the snorkel. What and how much do I need to remove? At the moment my carb is the stock set up. I ordered some #25 pilots, I know that has to be done. Should I change the mains and adjust the needle height?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Other than the spark arrestor removed and a K & N filter my 02 660 is stock. I plan on modifing the snorkel. What and how much do I need to remove? At the moment my carb is the stock set up. I ordered some #25 pilots, I know that has to be done. Should I change the mains and adjust the needle height?
I have basically the same set up (no snorkel) and I am running #25 pilots and 165 and 160 main with the clip down one from center on the needle.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
You took the snorkel off?

That sounds like a good starting point. Just pop the rubber snorkel off at the clamp....I took the divider out of mine and opened up the tunnel inside the lid but I still use the lid. I ran 160-165 mains and 27.5 pilots. Then when the motor got bigger I switched to FCRs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be replacing my mains. Do i, if sitting on the quad, install the 160 on the left and the 165 on the right?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If you are removing the snorkel you may have to also upgrade the needles, the left main is always smaller with the stock porting............

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are removing the snorkel you may have to also upgrade the needles, the left main is always smaller with the stock porting............
Im not going to remove it I just cut the center section out. I also removed a section of the inner lid. If you look into the airbox lid you can see the whole filter. I did leave the divider. With this set up do you think the needles need to be replaced? If so, which ones? Thanks for the info Willy.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Im not going to remove it I just cut the center section out. I also removed a section of the inner lid. If you look into the airbox lid you can see the whole filter. I did leave the divider. With this set up do you think the needles need to be replaced? If so, which ones? Thanks for the info Willy.
Call Alba racing and see if they still have needles for the 660 raptor. Those are the ones I ran and they worked out well.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Yes, if you cut a hole in the lid, you need minimum Mikuni 160L/165R mains, 25 pilots and aftermarket needles... modding the box or snorkel greatly improves airflow, even more so than exhaust mods.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mains and pilots on order. Looking for new needles now. What will be a good start point with the clip when I get new needles?Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Mains and pilots on order. Looking for new needles now. What will be a good start point with the clip when I get new needles?Thanks for all the feedback.
It depends on the elevation and how the bike is running in the mid-throttle range. The fuel/air screw and pilot work together in the off idle range the the pilot and needle will work together to get you accelerating up to wide open throttle. Once you get the fuel/air screw set just past the hanging idle and the pilot is right for your riding style by responding well out of tight turns without a bobble, then (this is my opinion and others will disagree) start out with the needle as lean as you can go (e.g. clip 1 position, from the top down) I generally run my needles on clip 2. This will give the bike a strong mid-range charge as it accelerates up to when the main jets are your primary fuel provider at WOT. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts