Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to Fingerlakes in Columbia Mo the Raptor was excellent at doing except when I was on the track, on small jumps it was not too bad but when I was hitting some of the bigger jumps when I landed it was verry ruff and it felt like I bottomed out no matter how I hit it fast or slow. The day before I was jumping about a 5 foot jump and was bottoming out so I turned up the high speed adjustment quite a bit and that helped some but I still felt like I need more travel to absorb the landing.
If I do need to spend about 3000 in getting it to jump like I want I would probably just get a bike that is made to fly and have the best of both worlds.
If there are any hints on hitting jumps please share I know if you are in a nose dive hit the gas but I am looking for something to make the landing smoother. I weigh about 150lb and am pretty sure that the shocks should not be set on the max so if anybody has an approximate setting for the shocks that would also be appriciated.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
No you don't need lt you just need to get the suspension set up for your weight, it will make a huge difference

·
Registered
587 Posts
Isn't the raptor set up stock to handle around 185-195lb riders?

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
160-170 from what I know. The suspesion shouldn't be bottoming out with a 150lb rider on five foot jumps. Unless your landing flat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Get some good shocks that are triple rate and high low speed compression. A wider front end helps also for stability. LT is alot more then standard travel so you have to ask yourself if it's worth the cost. A good set of shocks will make a huge improvement. Make sure your front wheels are about a foot to 18 inches higher then the rears if flat landing.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
You don't need to spend lots of money on triple rate shocks your stock ones have hi and lo speed compression and are a very good shock, if you feel you need more josh @ wiigstyle can revalve and respring the shocks to your weight and make them as good as any std trvl shock out there

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses, can somebody close to 150-170lbs range tell me their settings so I can compare my settings to yours to see which way I need to go. I really like the Raptor and would like it to be half way decent on the track just like everything else it does.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, can somebody close to 150-170lbs range tell me their settings so I can compare my settings to yours to see which way I need to go. I really like the Raptor and would like it to be half way decent on the track just like everything else it does.
Pm josh @ wiigstyle and talk to him

·
Registered
558 Posts
Raptor suspension is setup for 140# riders. If your in the 170# range then your pretty far off and your suspension will not work right. Having a new high rate spring setup for your weight and valving to suit your riding type should take care of your issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I honestly doubt it was set up for 140lb riders, my preload is as light as it will go and I still don't get quite enough sag for my weight at 165#. Plus, it maybe set for you're weight but not you're riding style, so while preload maybe good, everything else is different.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have played with it a little but with my weight of 150 I didnt think it should be almost maxed out on my high speed setting. Also since I have stiffened it up it is a lot more difficult to spin the rear end around, before I stiffened it up just a little blip and it would whip around immediatly but now it seems as if I am going straight into the trees. Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
112 Posts
The problem with the raptor shocks is that the shocks are soft but harsh at the same time. The valving is on the stiff side but the springs are on soft side. The problem most of the time is that valving is restricted and turning the compression and rebound adjustments make little to no difference because they have the capability to do better but the dampening is not free enough. Thus making the adjustments worthless.

When you valve the internals you will be able to make 2 clicks of adjustment and notice a difference. Add a spring kit to the shock for the weight and riding style of the rider and now you have set the shock up properly for the weight, rider, and riding style.

NOTE: for everyone tuning there shocks. When I first start on set-ups I get rid of friction first, then get the right springs, then work on valving.

I would get the shocks set-up first and then if that isn't what you are looking for do the OEM mods and then if all else fails go long travel, etc.

Josh
WiigStyle Racing Suspension

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would get the shocks set-up first and then if that isn't what you are looking for do the OEM mods and then if all else fails go long travel, etc.

Josh
WiigStyle Racing Suspension
Thanks for your expert advice I just don't want to spend a lot of money on std. travel and still not be satisfied with the ride.

Also pm sent.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya that is the main reason I wanted an 07 se. I just wish I could have more time on the track when I go to one.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Buy yourself a YFZ if you want to be fast at the track :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
BTW..

My std travel Elka/Houser front end on my '05 YFZ is killer. 2'-3' whoops? Just lean back, hold on, and let 'er rip :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If im going to buy something else I would just buy a 450 bike that is made to fly in the air like I want. I love the raptor but if weight is what is going to prevent it from being as good as a yfz I would just get a bike and have the best of both worlds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts