Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Pro Design intake and Dobeck installed tonight. The question I have is how are you guys tuning the red pot/rpm pot? What I mean is can you do this in neutral or are you having to place the TFI in your lap, go out for a ride and watch for the red light to come on (in order to get it coming on at 3/4 throttle)?

It would seem to me you need to have a load on the engine to see what throttle position the red light is coming on (if at all) at. Also, if you do have to adjust it while on the move, does anyone know what gear Dobeck recommends setting the red pot in? They have a tech article on their site that shows how a bike's fuel demands are different based on the different load each gear places on the motor.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
610 Posts
They recommend setting the pots, the third anyway, under load in third while hitting 6 grand. Just call 'em, they're easy to deal with.
They told me 9 for the last pot and said anything lower is more for draggers or people that run wide open a lot. I am currently rethinking this information, but mine runs great, so maybe I won't change it. Lots a variables...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll prolly call 'em. Setting the rpm pot on 9 is great IF your red light comes on. According to the instructions the red light should be coming on at 3/4 throttle. If it's set to 9 and no red light comes on (including at WOT) then that "main jet" circuit is not doing anything.

So, my original question is still out there for you guys......how do you tune your stuff so the red pot kicks in at 3/4 throttle.......quad in neutral or in gear running.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
172 Posts
What kind of a difference will it make if you set the pot to a low number or a high number? Mine is set on either 7 or 9 i cant remember which.. What does that pot really do anyways?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 1st 3 pots the higher you turn the numbers the more fuel you're dumping into the system. The last pot (rpm) determines when the red pot kicks in (turns on). So if you have 2 quads and one has it's last pot set to 9 and the other quad has it's last pot set at 6, the one set at 6 will turn on the red pot sooner than the other quad will turn on it's red pot set at 9.

Feel free to correct me guys but that's what the instructions and their tech forum says.

You have to watch and verify that the red light comes on at all, and then if it does come on you're supposed to tweak it so that it's coming on at 3/4 throttle. Again, if you just arbitrarily set the last pot to 9 and don't verify the red light on the 3rd pot comes on you might be getting zero benefit from the "main jet" (red pot). That is, you won't be getting any additional fuel over the stock map on the top end.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, just got off the phone with Dobeck. They said the optimum way to set up the 4th pot setting is with a load on the engine i.e. while riding, you can do it in neutral but the more precise way is setting it up for the real use (i.e. how it'll run while riding). Said he's been seeing more and more people have to turn down the 4th pot to 6 o'clock (especially for dune quads).

Also, I asked about what gear to use for tuning (pot settings, plug readings etc). The answer I got was 2nd or 3rd gear, with 3rd gear being preferable.

Edit (add): Got home from work, strung the box up the front of the seat so I could set it in my lap while riding. 4th pot set on the recommended 9 position yielded no red light. Ended up getting a good red light at 3/4 throttle using the the 6:30/7 position. Did my runs out in the street in 2nd gear.

Those of you that have never dialed in your 4th pot setting may not be getting any 3rd pot fuel to the motor.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
maybe he doesn't know about the rubber cap ?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I just got my lte's and dobeck and i'm glad i read this! this is by far my new favorite website! :)

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,723 Posts
Would a dyno machine not be able to solve all these problems? To do the settings in 3rd,4th gear with load on it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.