Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to know if anyone can tell me how to get the axle carrier out, pics anything, im going riding in two weeks and i need to get the problem fixed. I already got the tires axle and everything off, the only thing left is the carrier. :'(

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Is this the stock swing-arm? I have detailed instructions and pics, but you have to wait until i get home.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes stock

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Hey, just went through this one myself. I am assuming that you have the right hand side wheel hub off and the axle nuts!! don't forget the set screws on the outer axle nut. I did, oops :eek:. Pull axle nuts off and remove rear brake hub, I have heard nightmarish stories about this one including heating the hub (less disc) red hot and having to beat it off with a sledge hammer. Mine came off pretty easy. Once this is done the axle should slide out pretty easy. With the axle out you can pull the axle carrier retaining bolts out and ensure your chain tightning bolts are backed out most of the way. The right hand side of the carrier is a slip on piece, that slides over the left hand side. You could use a nice size piece of pipe or a chunk of hardwood to hold against this inner peice and hammer it out to the left. I had my carrier in pieces inside with balls from the bearing inbetween the carrier and the swingarm, needless to say it was a bit of a chore to seperate these two :(. All in all a pretty easy repair, had mine apart in about 30 mins with air tools 8).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
o ok, but my main problem is that there is a gap between the housing and the carrier on the right side, ive tightend the bolts as much as i could and still a gap about a half inch, ill have to get pic if you dont know what im talking about, with everything tightened like it should, there is a little gap, enough for the whole rear end to wable a little. Its like the to pieces are all the way together.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
So this is on reassembly? I would have to say that your bearings are not pressed in far enough, I used a piece of 2" schedule 40 pipe with an o.d. of 2 3/8" give or take. Ya gotta make sure they are all the way in, never drive in the bearing on the inner race. Sorry but I gotta say it!! I gotta say this is the problem unless there is something holding the bearing from tightning up against the spacer inside.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i have fixed the problem, took it apart, put new bearing and seals, when i took it apart, you could see were the right side of it was sitting it was all the way toching to were it would stop, torqued it down and now its perfect. just a oil leak that i cant find now

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Good to hear! about that oil leak! just remember at least you can ride now!! lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya just the regular, keep adding oil. lol ill send you a pic of how the oil looks on my fenders, lol

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sure thing, I think we could figure it out.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

this is were the oil is ending up

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Hmm.... when's the last time you changed your oil? Might sound kinda dumb but that looks like it is a pressurized spray. Definatly not a drip and if it was I think you'd have to be going pretty damn fast for it to mist like that!! Now I know rappy's are fast but unless you have a rocket on there somewhere :3question:, I think there is another explination. I would guess that maybe you overtightened your oil filter and have distorted the o-ring in there, or there is a metal line going from the top of the oil filter to the back of the crankcase and it is possible that this is loose or very unlikely, cracked somehow. You could aslo check the housing around the oil filter and oil pump for loose or broken bolts! I'm not a master mechanic by far but that about the only place I can think that oil would be coming from on the right hand side of a rappy. Happy Hunting!!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
about 3-4 rides ago, due for another one soon, thats not the problem though, this has been going on for a while, yes i go fast all the time, but it looks as though the oil tank, were you put the oil in is leaking, after everytime i go riding, when you look at the oil tank were the dip stick goes, theres a layer of oil going down the side of the tank under the hole. there is also a oil line at the top of the head were i have seen some oil sit, but am not excatly sure if that is were it is coming from. i will check the oil filter and others. thanks.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Well you should check the threads on changing oil, There was one about the oil bubbling over. I believe it was due to overfilling and incorrect level checking! Just a thought! The oil tank could do it to I guess, but it is such a fine mist. Unless it's really spraying it out of there. Try spraying some degreaser on it and washing it real good, then go for a ride to get everything nice and warm but try to keep the speed down and see if you can track the leak that way.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
i used to get mix like that when my exhaust cannister and head pipe met... be sure that is sealed. With its position on the fender, dont you get some on your leg or moto boot?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Good call, lol. I should watch CSI more :grin_nod: Would it be a fine mist like that though? the male end of the pipe is the head pipe, which means it would have to come forward then mist back. Another spot for 05rappy to check out anyhow.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If your pipe is oriented that way i would rule it out... I used to have a leak on a suzuki 500 quadzilla that did exactly that. My boot is speckled to this day.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
suzuki 500's a 2stroker though if I remember right :unsure: he'd need to either be running rich or be burning oil. I am kinda starting this sport quad stuff over again!! Like a midlife crises but just when ur younger :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.