Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so its kind of late to ask because we are already half way through the winter season but does the temperature make a difference on what jets to run or other settings that i can change so that my raptor doesnt breakdown or get damaged? what can i do if there is anything?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Yes, in the winter the air is denser so more air per area. This means the carb is getting more air than previously now so it will run lean. If you are running a stock setup you do not need to change anything assuming you bought the fourwheeler from the area you are living in because I believe they rough jet them to the area they are sold in.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah, in the winter time the cold air kind of fucks up the air/fuel mixture.. Really I wouldn't worry about it too much though, as long as you don't ride it on the really cold days where it was less than 20 degrees for long periods of time, you should be fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks, yah it hasnt been running badly i just wanted to make sure that it wasnt doing something that i wasnt noticing

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Its not just the 660s, the 700s need retuned if they have programmers on it. I rode mine one day over the winter when it was around 10 degrees and it still had the tune on it from when it was around 80-90. Needless to say it ran awfule.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Its not just the 660s, the 700s need retuned if they have programmers on it. I rode mine one day over the winter when it was around 10 degrees and it still had the tune on it from when it was around 80-90. Needless to say it ran awfule.
Thats why when you use the programmer or when you jet a carb, you have to set it so it runs just slightly rich in the winter. If you do that, it will run great year round and you will never need to change the fuel mapping/jetting ever!

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Thats why when you use the programmer or when you jet a carb, you have to set it so it runs just slightly rich in the winter. If you do that, it will run great year round and you will never need to change the fuel mapping/jetting ever!
Ehh, I guess. I like to get the most out of mine all year round. And if that just involves taking the seat off and doing a 15 minute tune then so be it. But I get where your coming from though. If it was carbed I'd do that, I hate, Hate, HATE messing with jetting.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Ehh, I guess. I like to get the most out of mine all year round. And if that just involves taking the seat off and doing a 15 minute tune then so be it. But I get where your coming from though. If it was carbed I'd do that, I hate, Hate, HATE messing with jetting.
Not everyone has the luxury of FI :rolleyes:

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think there is absolutely nothing worse than having to pull apart a carburetor time and time again to install bigger jets/make adjustments.
This is why I decided I would jet my carb in the winter time and make it slightly rich, so I would not have to pull the carb apart for the 12th time to install different jets for the change in seasons...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there is absolutely nothing worse than having to pull apart a carburetor time and time again to install bigger jets/make adjustments.
This is why I decided I would jet my carb in the winter time and make it slightly rich, so I would not have to pull the carb apart for the 12th time to install different jets for the change in seasons...
so what size jets are you running and what mods?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha wow yah i guess i missed that but ok yah im running 150 pilot 25 main so it seems about right to be running a bit lean considering you have a 250 and my stock jets are a little bigger

·
Registered
836 Posts
haha wow yah i guess i missed that but ok yah im running 150 pilot 25 main so it seems about right to be running a bit lean considering you have a 250 and my stock jets are a little bigger
haha, you mean 25 pilot, 150 main.. You might have a bit of a problem if it were the other way around lol

how much riding have you done in this past month and a half of really cold weather?
if you wan't to see how lean you are, just pull out the spark plug. A perfect plug will be a nice beige/golden brown color. If you see any white/gray spots it means its lean.
There was one point my quad was running so lean that the entire spark plug was white, this was in the summer time too...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yah its the other way around but i haven't done much because of there being too much snow but its finally starting to clear up so i was going to maintenance it for the spring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts