Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i'm getting the GYTR full system and i don't know whether or not to get a Power Commander. I talked to the lead Yamaha Tech and he said if i get that system i do not need a Power Commander, all you have to do is have a yamaha tech at your local dealer change something in the EGU! And thats a lot cheaper to do then getting a power commander! What you guys think about this??

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
If you do a search, and just about every topic that covers aftermarket Whether it be Exhaust or intake, or just removing the lid at that suggests a fuel controller of some type, whether it be a dobeck or PCIII..... I know they tend to run lean from the factory, so I don't know they can program the stock ecu to handle that... I'd suggest an upgrade of fuel controllers right away as well.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Welcome to the site, I agree with the above post's....... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i was gonna get one. But if the tech can adjust something in the EGU or ECU, i cant remember which one it is, then why not just do that. Cause those controllers are so expensive and the tech said that you can put them on but they aren't worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
The tech is correct you can have them re-flash the factory ECU for your GYT-R mods, the only problem with that is it fattens the map up for the entire curve so it won't give you the same benifit of a custom talored map adjusted every 250 Rpm for any throttle opening thru out the fuel curve. If you can live with that, then by all means have them reflash the ECU for your mods.

Another thing, and I can not confirm or deny this, but some who have had this done say if you unbhook your bat or it goes dead you lose this re flash so I would ask the tech about that before you make your decision.

Randy

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh i c, so how much power do you think i would gain using the contoller vs. the reflash. Is the contoller worth its $300 price tag?

·
Registered
390 Posts
True, the dealer tech can increase the fuel a small amount across the entire range.
False, the ECU (engine control unit) will not reset or re-learn and engine or exhaust modifications.

An aftermarket fuel controller is great to have, and you have the ability to add more engine parts later and re-adjust again, without going to the dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
On my last 700 I had the GYTR full system with intake and had the yamaha dealer adjust my map and it worked fine. Even on the dyno it looked pretty good. Then I added the powercommander and picked up about a horse. I think if you are not planning on doing any other mods then its a good idea to just have the dealer adjusted for 30-60 bucks instead of buying a contorller. If you think you might do other mods in the future or use a different pipe you might as well get a controller. my .02

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Like RaptorRandy Said.. I would confirm w/ the Tech first off and find out for sure if you disconnect your battery that you will NOT lose the fattened map.. Because if it loses it, it may be worth just buying a dobeck and setting that up for $150 vs taking the rappy in time and time again.

Randy (krandall)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
A tech at the dealer told my friend to leave the stock front shocks where they are from the factory. My friend is 240 lbs. I had told my friend to tell them to put them at atleast the next to highest setting. He took it for one ride and we had to stiffen his shocks. They don't seem to know shit at the dealers. Listen up. Most of the people on here are very knowledgable. I would listen to them over a dealer tech. But it's your dollar. Remember $300 for a controller or $500 for new rings, piston, labor and anything else you bust.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the techs that you deal with must not be very smart. And its common sense that if you are a heavy guy then you got to adjust your shocks, why would you even ask a tech about that. I agree with Marty myself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i agree too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
793 Posts
DrDsRaptor said:
They don't seem to know shit at the dealers. Listen up. Most of the people on here are very knowledgable. I would listen to them over a dealer tech.
Sad but true. Its sad on their part.

Along with the knowledgable theres a bunch of rich folks on this forum too. Roc with the fabulous coach and I think its brian with an airplane ect :thumbsup:

·
Registered
899 Posts
I lost my reflash when I disconnected my batt. Thats why I got a controller.Tech failed to mention that little tid bit.....untill I called and asked because I could tell instantly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
oli700 said:
I lost my reflash when I disconnected my batt. Thats why I got a controller.Tech failed to mention that little tid bit.....untill I called and asked because I could tell instantly.
Thats good to know. I would lean towards a controller after knowing this.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah but why would you have to disconnect your battery for anything? I have'nt touched my battery since i bought my raptor.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well yeah eventually, but it would be awhile before you would have to replace the battery.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts