Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, and it is for a freind who has a 07 SE and has some questions.
1. This quad does not seem to rev and seems done by around 6000 rpm. It is completely stock. Is this normal?
2. How do you get this quad to pull out to around 8000 rpm? With such a narrow powerband and all the torque at the very bottom it seems slower than it is. (It is pretty fast for stock and hangs with my TRX tell 3rd in a drag. Mine has the HRC kit so I have a advantage)

Please dont kill me for riding a TRX. I love any and all quads and just want to help a freind be fatser, to my own downfall...

·
Registered
163 Posts
1. On 5th gear yes you are almost right.. the quad will not go over 6500 if i am not mistaken.. there is a speed sensor restricting that, and that is completely normal for stock.

2. you will need 3 basic mods for the quad to pull more
1. Full exhaust
2. Air-Filter
3. EFI controller
keep in mind that you cannot change any of the first 2 without having an EFI controller, or else your quad will run either too rich or to lean. now there is one more issue or removing your speed sensor, i will not get into too much detail because if you look you will find that it is explained alot better than i will.. hope this helps..

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I pretty much agree with what was written above but a couple of things need to be added. It doesnt matter what gear you are in, the 700 doesnt like to rev. Peak hp is at about 6500rpm and after that it falls off pretty bad. can you reach 8-9k in 1st threw 4th gears....yeah...but its useless to do so. YOu need to short shift and stay where the power is on these machines.
This really doesnt change all that much with the bolt on mods either. You can however help to stay in the power by going to a 15T front sprocket.
I would also tell your friend his first purchase should be a fuel controller, like a PCIII. YOu will need it for all/any performance mods and it makes a difference on the stock machine, as they come lean from the factory.
To add to what was said about the speed sensor in 5th......this wont really apply on a stock machine, as the stock 700 really doesnt have the power to pull a high enouhg rpm to have the limiter come into play. THough once modded you will want to unplug the sensor to get rid of the effect of having it plugged in ( retarding of the timing). Its not so much " it wont let it go past 6500rpm" its that it starts retarding the ignition timing at that point and makes it really hard to exceed that rpm area. Once modded you can exceed 6500 rpms with out a problem, but you will not be putting down all the power that you should be, due to this sensor....thats why I was saying he will want to unplug it once modded. It retards it to the tune of 6-8 mph in 5th gear with a 3-modded machine. Pulls much harder with out the sensor.
You will get maximum speed and "pull" if you go to the 15T in conjunction with unplugging this sensor....but like I said, you wont see a big gain with doing these things until modded.

I dont think anyone will flame you for having a trx.....they still have there place and are plenty fast. I come from a yfz myself....I loved it and was a 450 phenatic! BUT....I saw the light! haha :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just seems like it is choked up past 6500, I thought it would breath better. I have told him to go with a PCIII with anything he does, but he says that he is going with a HMF pipe and there controller. He is expexting a 10hp gain, this seems high to me, but I dont now squat about Yamahas, and how limited they are from the factory. He has already ordered a 36 rear sprocket, but should he go with a 15 front instead? He is already talking about putting in some hot cams. Is this a bad idea? Can the motor take the increase in RPM?

Sorry for so many ? And thanks!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
He needs to go with the 15T instead of the 36. The 36 has problems with clearance between the chain and the sprocket hub.
Tell him that the HMF and doebeck controller that comes with it will work...but not the best route to go as far as controllers.
10hp might be a little far fetched....and absolutely impossible with out and intake running no lid. A hotcam would work pretty well...but I am pretty sure they are not out yet....just the webs.
With an HMF FULL exhaust, intake w/o lid, PCIII and a web gen I, I would think his hp would be right there in the 50-51 hp range. (stock is 40hp at the wheels)
To get a lot of power out of them he needs to go with a higher compression piston and some porting. Takes nothing to get 60+ hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts