Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some buddies and I were riding down on the river today. Unseasonably warm (65) and we couldn't let a day like this pass by.

Anyway, late in the day we decided on one more run. There is a very steep ravine where water had eroded a deep and steep "V" that we had rode on earlier. I wanted to make another pass up the bank that is covered with leaves, loose rock, and the like. I like those kind of challenging runs and like I said, I had made this run earlier in the day. Well....I didn't make it this time! Started losing traction about half way up, gunned it a little harder and thought I had it made when I hit a deep rut that was covered by the leaves. Needless to say in a instant the bike was standing on its tail and I knew this was gonna get ugly!!!!!! :help: Now I have to pay for my own toys and as you all know, these things don't come cheap. Instead of me worrying about getting hurt, I'm thinking, "Damn, not my new bike!". Come off the bike and land on my feet with my hands still on the grips but unfortunately the bike is well over my head (remember the "V"). I've got ahold of the thing and am thinking I've got it under control when I lose my footing, hit the ground face first, and the handlebars whack me HARD right on top of my helmet as the bike tumbles over backwards. Unfortunately, I look over and my baby is turned turtle on her back. :'(

Busted the visor on my helmet and broke the metal mount that holds the bottom of the left headlight. Other then that, no scratches, broken levers, or anything of the sort. Think my helmet took most of the blow. I didn't used to wear a helmet. You know....it doesn't look cool, they are hot, blah, blah, blah....But I don't have a doubt in my mind that at the VERY LEAST I'd have been on my way to the hospital for some stitches and quite possibley could have been much worse. Instead, we had a good laugh about it and rode out.

Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. Wear your helmet! This is not my first ATV/Motorcycle by any means. Most of you probably know how quickly things can go from fun to UGLY.

2. Know when to say when. We had rode HARD for eight hours prior. Did fatigue have anything to do with my spill? Who knows but it probably didn't help anything.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you all about my adventure!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow, somebody must have been praying for you today,because God sure did have an angel on your side . I've been in similar situations before and found out that someone was praying for me at that time and wow what a difference a prayer can make.Well I'm glad that you are ok and have a good one

·
Registered
824 Posts
wow, i figured u woulda broke alot more on the rappy, but glad your ok :thumbsup: and that the raptor is still good

·
Registered
657 Posts
You sound like me, bud. HAHA I did the same exact thing. Screaming all the 4-letter words I could think of at the time as my baby was tumbling down the hill. I was not nearly as fortunate as you though. My damage was near the 3G mark. Ebay made it alot cheaper!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm not interested it doing it again anytime soon.

I was afraid I'd tore more up too but, I think my melon took most of the blow. That and the fact that it stopped on its top and didn't tumble the rest of the way down!

I'll have to replace the metal bracket that holds the bottom of the light. Kind of just sits there loose now. Wonder what the stealership will want for that??

Later,
Matt

·
Registered
429 Posts
I totally agree with the safety equipment! I had a pretty nasty get off last Wednesday at the track. I believe it was mostly from fatigue, after 4 hours of somewhat constant track time and the second tank of gas I should have at least taken a breather. OOOOH no I had to get those precious laps in before the sun went down. I got crossed up in the deep woops and held on untill the point of no return, F#$K was my last comment before the e-ject..lol I ended up landing in some thankfully deep lome so myself and the quad sustained minimal damage. Broke a headlight and bent the steering stem. I ended up bruised with a broken chest protector and cracked helmet. I too feel lucky I was wearing the right gear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
thats gotta be scary. i always liked wearing my helmet and my buddy wears his but doesnt strap it. he wrecked and now he straps that mother down lol. sorry bout the bike and glad your safe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
After reading this I think i'll just stay home and pet mine....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the words guys. ;)

Its gonna happen sooner or later!

Later,
Matt

·
Registered
767 Posts
Don't worry about it, you'll be able to ride much harder and faster after the first wound. I got mine over and done with at 2 hours. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good helmet story. I cant stand to hear all the lam ass ecuses that people dont wear them.
" You may be the best rider in the world, but what about the other guy ? " Things unexpectivley happen and its best to be prepared. Glad to hear your ok. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts