Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody ever fixed there own countershaft leak?? mine is leaking behind the front sprocket and i ordered the parts so im going to attempt this myself....is there anything i should know? to do or not to do??? that is the question.......i read the basics on a yfz fix on yfzcentral and he said the mechanic lubed the seal and the o ring and collar up with something but didnt know what it was....anybody got any words of wisdom???

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Don't drive the new seal in to far, there's no shoulder for it to rest agienst, it will just fall into the case.
Did you order the collar that the seal rides on? If not look at yours, it may have a groove in it. If it does you'll need to get on at some point, the new seal won't last to long if it's in the rough groove.
As for lube, just put some oil on it, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i ordered 2 seals 2 orings and a collar....and i read somewhere to put the seal in halfway and then put the cover or whatever holds it in with the 2 10mm's on it and tighten it down evenly to push it in the right amount with goin too far...sound right?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah and how deep does the collar go? and there is a groove in the countershaft to put the o ring in right?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The collar will slide in till it stops, it's what the sprocket rest against. It will stick out from the case maybe 3/16".
Pull the collar out and then pry out the seal, oil the new seal and tap it in flush with the case, oil the collar and slid it in place.
I wouldn't pull it down with the 2 bolts, but thats me, I'd be worried about bending the metal cover. You can almost push it in with your fingers, it's not a super tight fit.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ohhhhh no im talkin about the collar that goes inside behind the oil seal and inside with the o ring....you know what im talkin about?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok yeah were on the same page....the metal thing that kind of looks like a crown....but how does the sprocket rest on it??....or are you talkin about an internal sprocket??

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh ok i think i got you....i thought that where the splines for the front sprocket ended i thought that was just the shaft but thats really the collar and it slide off....so the whole countershaft is splined like that and the collar goes on it to make it look smooth and space the sprocket?.....i thought the collar went behind the seal and didnt stick out....and i claim i have mechanic background..... ::)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.