Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always wondered with the minor weight difference between these will effect duning?

Will they .190 fronts dig more when turning
will the .190 rears be heavy enough that you will notice sapping of power?

also i know most hillshooters run 8's and I was told general duners should run 10?
I was told 10s slide around more, is this true?

how is a 10X9(or 10x10 hiper) rim change the handling when compared to a 10X8?

why are 8x7 rims so popular?

I have searched google and many other forums the the answers to these questions but everybody seems to have different opinions. Please share yours

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I always wondered with the minor weight difference between these will effect duning?

IME, a little, yes.

Will they .190 fronts dig more when turning
will the .190 rears be heavy enough that you will notice sapping of power?

IME, no on the fronts. As far as rears, rotational mass robs power and causes the engine to rev slower. With such little HP, it doesn't take much weight to make a difference, especially when racing or riding in the dunes. General duning you may not notice much, but racing you most likely will. This will also depends on your engine mods. Heavier wheels will be far more noticeable on a 40hp build than a 130hp build.

also i know most hillshooters run 8's and I was told general duners should run 10?
I was told 10s slide around more, is this true?

I've owned both 8s and 10s and prefer 8s. I'm not really into racing, but the 8s give a softer ride, are lighter, are better for hillshooting, and give added clearance for tree shots.

how is a 10X9(or 10x10 hiper) rim change the handling when compared to a 10X8?

why are 8x7 rims so popular?

They give a slightly higher rollout.

I have searched google and many other forums the the answers to these questions but everybody seems to have different opinions. Please share yours
Holy crap that's a lot of questions. :lol: My input is in blue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
And 8x7 rim will force the tire to become narrower which will make it taller. Compared to an 8x8 wheel there will be just a slight difference when you ride. Now you could just air up your rears to 12-14lbs and stick them on the south side of your house for a day. It will drastically change the whole tires size and profile. .190 rims vs .125 you won't notice any difference when just riding around and bowling, again none, even in the front. The weights only come into play when hillshooting or sand drags. If you are a very aggressive rider like our group is we run .190's on front because we jump and pound through the whoops. I run stock wheels on front and stock LTR 8x8's on back. I have Honda hubs on my Raptor rear axle. Though not the lightest combo my wheels aren't going to bend,, ever.. Bigger 22'" front tires make the Raptors turn and float better. Again not a good set up for hillshooting or Sand drags, but for bowling it's the hot ticket. Don't buy a 10" rear wheel for any reason unless you like bending wheels all the time.

Tires. We have run every tire imaginable, Brats, Haulers, Combo's, Gliders, ect. Best tire out there in all situations is a Glider. I will catch alot of flak for this. It really is the best tire. It launches hard and is less likely to lift the front end. It leaves a much smaller roost to bowl behind which all your friends will love. Gliders let the Raptors motor rev out requireing less power and quicker over rev, You can slide the back end if you know how, (a lot of people dont).. Gliders are the best kept secret. We ran a 9 paddle Glider on a Kenz 780 and it ripped out of the hole and revved to the moon up the biggest dune in the country (Utahs Sand Mtn). We run 8 paddle Gliders on our 67hp stock bore Raptprs now. All our buddies run them on their 450's. There is nothing good about Haulers. They want to wheelie, they leave a huge annoying roost, they require huge amounts of hp on the topend due to the taller paddle. So the key to Gliders is not that they are considered a pussy paddle. It's the best kept secret most people aren't willing to try. The key is just and an extra paddle or two for your particlar build. More and more people here in Utah are running Gliders after they can see for themselves what a pussy tire like that really is cable of on a 450 or even a huge Kenz built 780. Our builder stocks mostly Gliders on the shelf after he seen for himself what they can do. 10 sets of Gliders for every pair of Haulers.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
One thing to keep in mind...Utah dunes are different than Oregon Dunes. What may work well in Utah, may not work so well in Oregon. (I assume chowser2 rides in Oregon Dunes since he lives in Oregon)

My buddy went down there for work (we ride Oregon Dunes) and rode for a bit while working in SLC. He said his haulers sucked. He had so much less power from the altitude that he couldn't turn them. They just bogged his engine down. He was told he either needed to go with gliders or haulers with less paddles on them. What worked great for Oregon Dunes didn't work well in Utah. I'm sure the opposite would be true as well.

Good info though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here we don't seem to have very big dunes (i don't think in oregon)
most of the hills i do are tree shots. you have to turn around in the middle of going down hill, turn around and start from a dead stop in the middle of the hill.

would gliders work well for this kinda riding?

however I am not good at sliding the rear end out. any tips?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Since Oregon dunes actually have trails, trees, stumps, etc. its better to run a sturdier wheel. And 22" tires for the clearance. Your going to want haulers or extremes for the short, hard launches. I wouldn't run gliders if I were you. You can also run a little more paddle in Oregon than the California guys do because our hills aren't so long so its all in the launch. Don't over paddle for your swingarm though or you'll see a lot of sky.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here we don't seem to have very big dunes (i don't think in oregon)
most of the hills i do are tree shots. you have to turn around in the middle of going down hill, turn around and start from a dead stop in the middle of the hill.

would gliders work well for this kinda riding?

however I am not good at sliding the rear end out. any tips?
My bro is trying a 9 paddle on his quad next time out. Our quads are 7 mod quads. You could try a 9, but I don't know what your build is?? Gliders don't want to lift the front end like a Hauler when starting or going up steep hills. They turn quicker which in theory lets you get more on top of the sand then a tire that would want to throw more sand. I have some 8 paddle gliders that are so worn down and they actually still work great. They are a little slow out of the hole because they are very worn, but they just pull hard up the monster hills we have. Your tree shots are short I know that, but in all honesty unless you try something others won't then how will you really ever know?? They are a custom order tire and if you didn't like them, they would sell in a day on any website for 20 bucks less then you paid since somebody wouldn't have to wait 7-10 weeks to get a pair.

All you have to do when sliding is get up on the tank a little and gun it. The back end will come around when the bars are turned on flat ground. Very hard to do that on a Hauler. Going down a hill I would say nobody can flick a quad around on any tire. That's a death wish. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts