Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to some drag guys today that were saying they dont use o-ring or x-ring chains because they cost them a few pony's. And also because they will bind up in the case saver when you throw one causing damage to the case etc.. I'm just looking for some input here so feel free to share your thoughts?:beer:

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I take the first part for granted as common knowledge, you sacrifice power and weight for better lubrication and longevity.

All of the chains I can remember throwing were o-ring chains, so I guess I don't have a comparison with a non-oring to know if one binds easier than the other. I can say there can be more resistance to link rotation/movement on an o or x ring vs a standard chain.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't really know that you would lose that much HP just by having an o-ring chain. I mean yes it feels stiff in comparison but a few pony's?? Geeez that seems like a lot. I was turning my rear axle by hand with no tires on it and it was very hard to turn. I'm sure if the chain affects it that much then the axle is a real problem. He was also talking about removing one row of bearings out of the carrier and also going to porcelain (I think) bearings in the only two remaining rows. He said it frees up the rear axle a lot.
When you're talking about longevity of the o-ring vs. standard chain. How much difference are we talking about? Hrs.?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does that chain move a lot more freely? Where did you get it?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.k. perfect I think I'll be checking into it.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I run a non o ring chain you gotta lube it way more but that's part of maintenance. I ain't had a problem with it

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm... very interesting thread carp very interesting indeed
Yeah man I was like "Shit" 3-4 more HP just switching chains???
My dynatek only gave me that much and I'm into it for like 330 or so.
Plus that rear axle is stiff as hell. I'm sure that's robbing some serious HP and TQ.

I run a non o ring chain you gotta lube it way more but that's part of maintenance. I ain't had a problem with it
Where did you get it bro!

·
DWR-President
1,966 Posts
DID non o ring... standard chain. hit ebay. drag carrier and chain and you will be surprised... 2hp I would say.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I'm gonna switch over asap! Damn man is that your girl in your avatar? Holy smokes man I wish my girl would pose like that haha!

·
DWR-President
1,966 Posts
will wear them out faster but the resistance is alot less. cheap too. quad shop at the dunes they are like 30-35 bucks for a 120 link.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Yeah man I was like "Shit" 3-4 more HP just switching chains???
My dynatek only gave me that much and I'm into it for like 330 or so.
Plus that rear axle is stiff as hell. I'm sure that's robbing some serious HP and TQ.

Where did you get it bro!
DID non O ring Steve hooked me up last year. It's still holding up good. I may get that carrier dudes talking bout next.

·
DWR-President
1,966 Posts
JJ&A makes a 35 and 40mm carrier I believe.... Yes that is my wife about 2 years ago on my quad. Part of my anniversary gift.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So which carrier is the one with the least amount of resistance? Any links?
And are they porcelain bearings or was I wrong about that.

·
DWR-President
1,966 Posts
I was to do a normal carrier again it would be a nice JJ&A. Not sure who has lowest resistance, but from stock to a good jj&a is different. Just my 2 cents. when in doubt ask some of the big racers.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ceramic bearings carp, porcelain is like the creepy dolls you have in your living room:D
Oh shit haha yeah ceramic LOL creepy dolls, You callin sarah creepy:confused: Oh wait nevermind she's rubber not ceramic and she looks just like this smiley :eek: LMAO!!:lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts