Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dr. d reverse kit came today. i also decided to move my key over to the fender. ill give a brief explination of how i did it, couldnt find anything when i searched before.

it turned out good, but its not a real professional install lol. what i did was take the dr. d plug for the reverse lever, and cut a hole in it. sized it up to the threads on the key assembly. made those two a press fit.

i also added an o-ring type piece of rubber i cut out, to the underside of the plug. just unplugged the key assembly and ran the wiring from the other side, behind the frame/radiator assembly and over to the opposite side. plugged everything back in, didnt even need to loosen the wiring. its out of the fan shroud and tucked away from any water just like factory.

only complaint/imperfection is the key and plug dont sit completely flush inside the fender. it has an angle to it when its seated, but its in there tight, not going anywhere. not loose in anyway.

just a brief explination of how i did it, it all works, and im really happy with it. anyway, heres some pics..

new reverse cable coming down frame, behind oil tank..

shot of the new key location and reverse switch..

this is how it looks under the fender, and where the wiring starts behind the radiator hose..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looks good!! Nice work! :thumbsup:

Frank

·
Registered
610 Posts
Did you have to "adjust" the frame bracket holding the reverse cable? If TallJess hadn't posted that link to the article, I might still be slipping into reverse when downshifting. I just don't have the nickel's width play they call for, even with the bracket bent a little, but it's working.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i didnt adjust the frame bracket at all. i have about a nickel width of play.

seems to be working fine, i just backed up and down the driveway a few times and watched for smooth engagement. my bike is shifting into reverse alot smoother then before now.

its weird relocating the reverse and key at once. keep looking in the wrong spot for stuff, and i hit the throttle instead of the reverse once already :crazy:

·
Registered
340 Posts
281pony said:
its weird relocating the reverse and key at once. keep looking in the wrong spot for stuff, and i hit the throttle instead of the reverse once already :crazy:
It will take a day or two, but you'll get used to it. I like thumb reverse set up much better than having to lean down and turning the switch.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just tweaking that bracket not quite 1/8" did the trick on mine, but some actual play would be nice.
The only thing I can think of that caused this problem is my location. Even though it was a reported problem in that article http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=191556. As you can see, I removed that black spacer because that's where I had my Vapor, so moving the Vapor over towards the bend allowed me room for the Dr D, but it's closer to the throttle than if the spacer was still in place.
Still, if this short distance (3/8"?) affects the cable/linkage that much, what will trying to engage the reverse with the handlebars cranked over do? I know my cable routing is good and kink free.

And yes, I just took the pic and looks like I'll have to adjust the clock for daylight savings..... Geez, a 20 year old watch does that automatically ::)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm, i had never even heard of that issue before. i dont have any "free" motion in the lever either.

i can however, move it slightly and it makes no movement to the cable. i didnt see any issues with it, engages reverse smooth from what i can tell.

·
Registered
610 Posts
"i dont have any "free" motion in the lever either"

I'm pretty sure that is where you are supposed to have the nickel's width of play, between the lever and its housing, just like the clutch lever adjustment is measured at those two points.
I'm hoping for a little cable stretch, but mine is working fine now, too.
Edit: Actually it was working fine as soon as I had it hooked up. It wasn't til I went riding that it bypassed first and went into reverse when downshifting.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, that stood out to me. i will get some riding time in soon hopefully. only get to ride once a week, if that usually.

ill watch for that bypassing of first gear though. i checked my bike last night, and after a few trys it never slipped into reverse. thanks for the heads up though, i had never heard of those issues before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.