Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been putting some time into my quad recently cleaning things up, and after looking through the "drag bike" thread, I see mine still looks like a cluttered mess.

Where are you guys relocating things like the Voltage Rectifier? (or is it Regulator? I have seen it called both) I shaved my fenders recently, and would like to remove the headlight brackets, but on the right side...that holds the voltage rectifier, and a few other things like the reverse switch and the coil.

Are you guys just tucking these parts up under the plastics so they aren't seen or are you actually getting rid of them? Also with the coolant bottle, most drag builds don't seem to have one anymore...just getting rid of them for weight savings? Any issues by removing this other than the obvious that I should be aware of?

I'm not building a light-weight drag quad by any means, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of some unnecessary things for weight savings, or at least moving some things so it is a little cleaner looking. I will be spending most of my time at the drag strip, so if I don't need the parts...I don't necessarily want them on the quad anymore.

I already basically stripped my quad of all of the bolt-on stuff...no more bumper, heel guards are gone, fenders are shaved, headlights gone, and I shaved the bumper mounts off yesterday. I know I could go a lot further, but I swill want those little conveniences like front brakes :). This thing isn't a strict drag racer or hillshooter, I still want it to be "hotrod duner" at heart.

Thanks for any help and insight,

Kyle

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
We have a drag bike thread? ??? I'm leaving the coil where it is and moving the rectifier down where the front brake line T used to mount and the battery is going down in front of the oil tank and the start solonoid is going down there too.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
+ 1 on the new rectifier location. thats where i moved mine, only used 1 bolt to mount it flat. :)

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a drag bike thread? ??? I'm leaving the coil where it is and moving the rectifier down where the front brake line T used to mount and the battery is going down in front of the oil tank and the start solonoid is going down there too.
Drag build thread:

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27723

I was just out there looking at it for a few, and I may do the same thing with the rectifier...not many other places to mount it. I'm going to have to make a new bracket to hold the reverse knob, but that's no biggie.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
bolt the rectifier to the support tube that runs across the front upper shock mounts, the coil can be a bit of a headache,,, u can weld mount tabs on the frame or make a flat bracket for it

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info guys, I appreciate it. Looks like I will be spending a bit of time tomorrow trying different mounting locations. And I really need to get a welder, right now I'm stuck bolting things on or making little brackets out of flat steel and bolting chit to those.

I would have done the Dr. D reverse lever, but I don't want to have that big hole left in what little fenders I have left... I already re-located my key on the left fender in the same spot as the reverse knob on the opposite fender, so I'm kinda stuck leaving that there now. I looked at it today, a simple L bracket will work to keep it where it is without having that bigass headlight mount holding it there.

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Good info guys, I appreciate it. Looks like I will be spending a bit of time tomorrow trying different mounting locations. And I really need to get a welder, right now I'm stuck bolting things on or making little brackets out of flat steel and bolting chit to those.

I would have done the Dr. D reverse lever, but I don't want to have that big hole left in what little fenders I have left... I already re-located my key on the left fender in the same spot as the reverse knob on the opposite fender, so I'm kinda stuck leaving that there now. I looked at it today, a simple L bracket will work to keep it where it is without having that bigass headlight mount holding it there.
I cut my fenders there ain't no hole!:D I'll have some pics of it on it's wheels this week!

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moved the rectifier to the horizontal support that is about even with the upper shock mounts, just below the fan. But I'm not sure what to do with the coil, I guess I'm going to have to rig up some type of bracket...not much slack there on the wire going to the plug.

As for the fenders, now that I got rid of the headlight brackets, which the fenders also mounted to...are my fenders going to flop around like crazy at speed with just the single bolt in the front and two in the rear under the seat?

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
Moved the rectifier to the horizontal support that is about even with the upper shock mounts, just below the fan. But I'm not sure what to do with the coil, I guess I'm going to have to rig up some type of bracket...not much slack there on the wire going to the plug.

As for the fenders, now that I got rid of the headlight brackets, which the fenders also mounted to...are my fenders going to flop around like crazy at speed with just the single bolt in the front and two in the rear under the seat?
I just cut off the part of that bracket that went to the headlight and reshaped the rest of bracket to look better then painted it to match my frame. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts