Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of the Rally II Acerbis hand guards from a friend of mine that didnt want them b/c of the color. So I tried installing them last night but realized that to install these I would need to drill out the ends of the stock bars. the insert is about 2 1/2 inches that has to mount inside the handle bars. So i figured id just have to drill through the end section and the rest would be hollow...I'm about 1 1/2 inches in and its still solid..and a major PITA to drill.

Has anyone else done this? Do I have to buy new bars that are hollow to install these? I did notice on rockymountain they offered a sportquad adaptor piece for thes handguards for like $6.00 but didnt think I'd need, and there werent pictures of what this adaptor even does.

:help:

·
Registered
665 Posts
wish i could help you bro, i have encountered numerous PITAS while working on/ installing mods, seems to me that handguards are one of those things that you also need this that and the other to install, ive looked at em before and until i get em out the dooor with adaptors and whatever else they run like 65$ iam referring to the powermadds thou

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This Acerbis ones dont really work with parking brake on the 700, so i'm probalby just going to block off the e-brake..not a big thing. Then i was thinking of getting the trail tech vapor, and figured i could get the high mount bars and the whole kit, and that way i could mount the hand guards...but thats alot of extra $$ just to put damn hand guards on!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I checked into getting handguards. I found a review on mounting the Powermadd handguards online. I read through it several times and figured wearing gloves was all the protection I needed :thumbsup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
pacanis said:
I checked into getting handguards. I found a review on mounting the Powermadd handguards online. I read through it several times and figured wearing gloves was all the protection I needed :thumbsup:
I just installed the powermadd guards on my 700. I previously removed the parking brake to install the ASV levers. The fit and finish of the Powermadd star guards is top notch. The only "modification" i had to make was grinding the mount on the right guard to allow the Dr. D reversing lever make it's full swing to engage the reverse gear. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Here are some Pics:

Frank

·
Registered
610 Posts
The review I read said something about drilling the bars, but it was an older review, maybe they're making them different now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'll tell you, drilling out these bars is like drilling 2 inches through a safe, not that i would know what that is really like... :nono:

·
Registered
340 Posts
One last pic of the PowerMAdd Guards

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems to me that those powermads wouldnt be good for protecting your had if you accidently clipped a tree since they dont have support on the ends. The guards I got you have to drill out the ends to insert the guard there so this way there are two points of connection...which gives more protection. Maybe I'm just going to have to go to home depot and find some drill bits that are made just for drilling metal, might make it a little easier

·
Registered
683 Posts
I installed the power madd with the wrap around kit on the stock bars and drilled and tapped the bars.
also had to grind off throttle side for the Dr D reverse
Since then I have installed the fasst flexx bars

good luck with your install

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are those Fast Flex bars hollow on the ends? would they allow a 2 inch long insert? I'm assuming they made the oem bars solid to help with bar vibrations.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome...i think I'll save my money and not by drill bits and just use that money to buy new handle bars! thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts