Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know results of dragging 450's on flat ground, but what about 3rd gear WOT up the drag hill. How do you guys fare with the 15 tooth or otherwise. Have not really seen on any posts if this mod helps you in this arena. I already ordered it, and its going on anyway but still have to ask, thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
Last month, I was racing the big 3 450s up Olds in Glamis. I have the mods listed in my sig.

I would consistantly beat the LTRs by 2 bike lengths, YFZs by 4 bike lengths, and the Hondas were so far behind, it was pathetic.

I didnt stop to talk to them about mods, but they all had pipes, so id assume they were rejetted and lid off the box. If they had more, then that makes it even better for me.

Its funny, cuz the magazine ranks the 450 motors as Honda\Yamaha\Suzuki. From what I can see, its the opposite.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am usually even all the way up the hill, if it is steeper, I will start to slowly pull away, and Yfz's are usually fastest( when i race em anyway) The 450's seem to wrap out better in third, but 700's torque makes up for it. So does the 15 tooth help? I actually bought a 13 tooth thinking i could then shift into fourth and let torque have its way but know this will hurt normal dune riding.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just got back from Glamis and I spent the last day there stompin 450s. One of my buddies has a yfz with the same mods (as close as possible) as me and I would smoke him every time. I did notice the slow-zukis did a little better but still no cmpetiton. I even missed a shift a couple times and still could catch em. The 15t is the way to go though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJG21 said:
I just got back from Glamis and I spent the last day there stompin 450s. One of my buddies has a yfz with the same mods (as close as possible) as me and I would smoke him every time. I did notice the slow-zukis did a little better but still no cmpetiton. I even missed a shift a couple times and still could catch em. The 15t is the way to go though.
Could you do this before the 15T? Does it make that big of a diff? My buddy with 450R w/ same mods as me plus cam(HRC kit) will always pull me at mid hill. It would prolly look bad but raptor jumps off line like no other so he always has to catch me. His bike is very light and I know that helps. Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Those 450R's were probably 04-05's the 06's make alot more power not even comparable

·
Registered
273 Posts
Could you do this before the 15T? Does it make that big of a diff? My buddy with 450R w/ same mods as me plus cam(HRC kit) will always pull me at mid hill. It would prolly look bad but raptor jumps off line like no other so he always has to catch me. His bike is very light and I know that helps. Thanks
[/quote]

I could beat them but it take off and shifting were more crucial. The sprocket is a great deal "dollar for dollar" one of the the best mods at only around 20 bucks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got a 15t sprocket, but out at the dunes, I've been running the 14t. I weigh about 275 (in riding gear - yeah, I'm a big fat SOB ;)), would I still benefit from the 15t, or with my weight do I need to gear lower? FWIW I'm running 20" 9 paddle haulers.
Thoughts & opinions appreciated...

·
Registered
216 Posts
There's always going to be someone faster....as long as I beat all my friends...that's all I care about.
First time with the Raptor at Glamis, 2nd time riding it. I'm still on break in so I only raced up Oldsmobile 5 times.

Here's the ones worth mentioning:
1. I caught and passed a stock Honda 450.(stock exhaust anyway)
2. I caught and passed a stock Predator. (stock exhaust anyway)
3. I beat a stock 2006 Yamaha 450. (170 lbs dude in my camp / I weight 225 lbs)
4. I beat the 2004 Raptor 660 with CT Racing Pipe and intake.
5. I beat a piped Predator.
6. I beat a piped Honda 450.

*In my 5 runs, the only quad that beat me was a newer piped Banshee (unknown other mods) and that was barely. I had him until about half way up the hill when he slowly passed me before we got to the top. Very happy with the Raptor's performance without the exhaust. Can't wait to get the duals. I hope it revs out better once I get the pipes. I'm still running the 14T

·
Registered
123 Posts
i would stick with stock gearing in the dunes. from what ive experienced so far stock is perfect for goin up olds. im usually in 4th gear at a lil above 6k and the raptor just pulls away from everyone. i went this past weekend to glamis and raced a lt-r450 with the 3 mods and i got off to a terrible start and my front end just wouldnt sit down through the whoops cuz of my launch, but when it flattend out i flew passed him and got him by 1 1/2 lengths. so for now im stickin with stock because its perfect unless your draggin on flat land. then youll need the extra gearing

·
Registered
579 Posts
It all depends on your mods, weight, tires, sand conditions, particular hill, etc... I would have a 15 tooth and maybe a 13 tooth just so I could make changes as needed if hill drags are your goal for the day. I think a 15 on banshee hill at Dumont would be great but not comp hill at Dumont. I personally don’t like a 15 tooth on Sand Mountain, Nevada’s comp hill but it may work great for your setup. You just need to experiment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BadRap said:
It all depends on your mods, weight, tires, sand conditions, particular hill, etc... I would have a 15 tooth and maybe a 13 tooth just so I could make changes as needed if hill drags are your goal for the day. I think a 15 on banshee hill at Dumont would be great but not comp hill at Dumont. I personally don’t like a 15 tooth on Sand Mountain, Nevada’s comp hill but it may work great for your setup. You just need to experiment.
Thanks for this and all the other info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
865 Posts
rappy_700 said:
i would stick with stock gearing in the dunes. from what ive experienced so far stock is perfect for goin up olds. im usually in 4th gear at a lil above 6k and the raptor just pulls away from everyone. i went this past weekend to glamis and raced a lt-r450 with the 3 mods and i got off to a terrible start and my front end just wouldnt sit down through the whoops cuz of my launch, but when it flattend out i flew passed him and got him by 1 1/2 lengths. so for now im stickin with stock because its perfect unless your draggin on flat land. then youll need the extra gearing
WHERE DID YOU CAMP, I STAYED AT WASH 6........WAS IT JUST ME OR WAS THE SAND A LITTLE SOFTER THAN USUAL?

·
Registered
123 Posts
dungbeetle06 said:
rappy_700 said:
WHERE DID YOU CAMP, I STAYED AT WASH 6........WAS IT JUST ME OR WAS THE SAND A LITTLE SOFTER THAN USUAL?
i was at pad 5. yeah the sand was feelin softer to me too. then on sunday when the wind picked up i felt like i was in the dakar in the sahara haha. it looked like a sandstorm.

·
Registered
865 Posts
rappy_700 said:
dungbeetle06 said:
rappy_700 said:
i was at pad 5. yeah the sand was feelin softer to me too. then on sunday when the wind picked up i felt like i was in the dakar in the sahara haha. it looked like a sandstorm.
THERE WAS A HELL OF ALOT MORE WITCHES TITS THAN USUAL, I PLANTED THE FRONT END IN THE SAND TWICE, ONE TIME I FELL OFF

·
Registered
123 Posts
dungbeetle06 said:
rappy_700 said:
dungbeetle06 said:
rappy_700 said:
THERE WAS A HELL OF ALOT MORE WITCHES TITS THAN USUAL, I PLANTED THE FRONT END IN THE SAND TWICE, ONE TIME I FELL OFF
yeah definately, i came reeeally close to goin over the front but i dunno how i stayed on the quad. and the sand was so soft i didnt really wanna go slow and dig in

1 - 18 of 18 Posts