Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin at buying some front dune tires for the 660. Wandering what some of you guys run and what you recommend. Is there much difference in handling between the shark fins and the single or double fins such as the sand stars??

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
Lookin at buying some front dune tires for the 660. Wandering what some of you guys run and what you recommend. Is there much difference in handling between the shark fins and the single or double fins such as the sand stars??
I've used both. it depends on the type of riding you do. I started out with dual row sand stars, they are great for slow to medium fast riding. They turn really good especially in the slower tighter turns. My problem with that type of front tire is when rideing fast they get very twitchy feeling, like there about ready throw me of the quad. Thats why i use the shark fin tire now. I even cut every other knob off the tire & grind the tire thickness down to save weight. and the tire still turns good in the tight stuff. Just not as good as the full rib tire. And they are very smooth feeling at high speed. Hope this helps.8)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I run Sand Star fronts. They are the best turing dune tire, and dont have a problem with the "twitchy" feeling.

That twitchy feeling can also be caused by having the Caster improperly set.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I have a couple sets of the dual rib front sandstars. I also run the 22x8-10 size tire regardless of the rear tires I bolt on. I like the extra width which is noticeable and the clearance even if it really isn't noticeable.

But I'm not riding all that fast, maybe mid to upper 50's is as fast as I'm ever really going in the dunes and that's not for long. I spend most of my time carving in and out of dunes in second and third gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts