Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have the 2.5" wheel spacers for the front or back of their 350? If so, could I see some pics. I was thinking about getting some and was wondering if its worth the money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an axle and A-arms and yes you can tell a huge difference. Mine is 4" wider all around so I'd imagine the extra 1" would be all the better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more thing, how hard would it be on my stock axle with the 2.5" spacers. I don't really want to spend alot of money on a new axle, but I also dont want stuff breaking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've never personally ran wheel spacers, but from what I hear everywhere they're pretty hard on your axle. Figure what, $70 (???) for the spacers. Then if you bend a factory axle that's another $80 (guestimate, I saw them online for close to this before). You're already at $150 with the chance of bending another stocker. You could get the G-Force for $199, and it has a lifetime warranty. And they honor the warranty, I know people that have had them replaced. I'd save the funds and do it right the first time, I know it's more money, but probably worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Before you spend a lot of money on the front end, just flip your front rims and see if you like the extra width. You will have to install flush mount valve stems, around $5 a piece, to keep the valve stem from hitting the brakes. I would do this before putting in wheel spacers. It keeps the studs the stock length so not quite so much force on them.
If you do not like the extra width just flip the tires back. Plus you will not have to worry about a flush mount valve stem getting ripped off by a branch or anything. The people that have done this report great results for little $$$$ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Flipping the front rims exposes the brake and caliper. In my opinion, it looks hideous. More importantly, it stresses the wheel. It is the equivalent to putting a lowering kit on your bike and jumping it, which can result in damage to your bike.

Personally, I do not recommend flipping the front wheels.

~Brian

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not a big fan of flipped wheels anymore either. I used to be, and swore by them for a while. Then I snapped TWO outer tie rod ends the same day. You get really bad bump steer with the wheels flipped, and if you come across a bad rut it's gonna get crossed up pretty bad and damage the tie rods/ends. Truse me, if you ride hard enough, it's not going to take you very long to snap one or the other this way. Try getting out of the woods with two broken tie rod ends, it's no picnic.... Then the end result (again) will be you spent more money trying to fix your mistake and do it right the second time. It's better to just save the cash and wait until you can do it right, you'll actually be saving yourself money in the long run.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you would read my post I never suggested it as a long term option. I suggested it to see if you like the way it handles and looks with the wheels set out before spending a large amount of money. Anytime you widen the front end it will change the handling. That is why I suggested spending $10 to see if you even like it instead of the $70 to $100 for the spacers he was asking about.

With the wheels flipped it will not stress the front end anymore than the spacers he was asking about or expose the brake or calipers anymore than the spacers he was asking about. In fact there will be less stress on the front end with the flipped rims than the spacers because the mounting point of the rim will remain stock but there will be more rim to the outside. With the spacers the mounting point is pushed out the width of the spacer. But it will still be substantially more pressure than stock.

I do not have it on any of my quads, and do not suggest it. What I gave him was a cheaper alternative to a specific question he asked. Hate to see him spend $70 to $100 on spacers only to break a bunch of stuff and hate the way it handles.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
PaleRider: I was in no way trying to discourage our fellow brother, nor discredit your post.

On the other hand, I do have a G-Force spacers on the front, and it makes my front end about 2" wider total up front. These are pictures from January 2006.

I also have a 45mm G-Force spacer on the rear, which makes the rear almost 4" wider total.

You can kinda see the rear spacer from this angle

I will probably leave the spacers on up front for a while, I'm just getting into my riding season again (I haven't rode since spring, too hot down here!). I also have an axle in my garage still in the box that is 6 months old that I just don't have time to put on between working, flying, and honey-do's. I do recommend doing the axle, the spacers were just temporary to see if it made a big difference, and yes it does! The front spacers are much smaller than the rear, and seems to make my quad a little more stable.

Just my two cents.

~Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts