Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ROTM Winner
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!!!

Do you prefer Dyno Tune or Auto Tune and why?

What are the pros and cons for both?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
521 Posts
Personally I like the dyno just because I can sit there and watch the air/ fuel get tweaked and I feel it's more safe but on the other hand I have never dealt with a auto tune so I can't speak for that system

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I think a good tuner (the person) and a dyno are the way to go. The autotune is a great tool, I use one all the time. You have to know how to use it, it's a tool that has a purpose and method. I change parts on my bike (wayyy to often) and have a hard time getting my bike on a dyno even with several in town the shops are flaky. I have a dyno HIGH on my list of stuff for our shop.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,414 Posts
I think the final result is the same. But, with a Dyno you get a reading of horsepower and torque. But with the auto tune, you can have the correct tune all the time, even if you change parts a lot. If you change parts a lot, Dyno time can get real expensive. With the auto tune, you pay for it once, and use it whenever you want.

I prefer the auto tune, you own it for the price of one dyno pull. If you want numbers, then do a dyno pull.

·
Registered
779 Posts
They way the shop does my car is a street tune to get a good base and fix the imperfections on the dyno. The dyno is good for "filling in the gaps"

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,723 Posts
Like Dezperado said, dyno gives you a number, to tell you how much more power your mods gave you.

I have the Autotune and have been using it with great success, you need long open stretches though to tune properly, keeping it at certain throttle possition for lengths of time so the sensor can get a good read. I am fortunate to have these long roads / trails.

the Autotune gives you a powerful feeling knowing you can be out in the sticks and tune your own bike with a laptop.

I like both a dyno and the autotune.

Advantage of the Autotune is, if you have two bikes or friends with Powercommander 5, even if it is a different model bike (autotune model stays the same for even road bikes) then you can pass it on when you are not tuning.

Just the bung for the sensor needs to be welded in properly with no stress raisers, welding smoothed out preferably, or it can crack, especially with the types of riding we do off road.

The reason I love the Powercommander is because Dynojet dyno´s are not so difficult to source and the feature of the Autotune that Powercommander has.

For on the dyno itself, the tuner must know what he is doing. If he has the latest tunelink software, the time on the rollers are much reduced.

And another reason I like the Dynojet products, is because of the Winpep7 software, free download. If you get the runfiles from the dyno, you can play with the graphs, compare different bikes performance, etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have no experience with Autotune but watching Richie and Nate at Alba run my TRX700xx on the dyno was pretty awesome.

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,723 Posts
I have no experience with Autotune but watching Richie and Nate at Alba run my TRX700xx on the dyno was pretty awesome.
I know exactly what you mean. Couple of weeks ago myself and member DustyRappy witnessed my bike on the dyno.

There was a stage when we both hit out with goosebumps all over! That sound is just incredible to hear it scream until the rev limiter and as it rolls down on the revs again! The vibrations in the air just goes right through you and it is a truely fantastic experience!

And also to watch the tuner to see what goes into it is a very nice experience.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Auto tune works good if you are already very close with your mapping. The dobeck AFR + is the only auto tune I have used that is really auto. Im not sure if you guys are using these on atv's yet but they are awesome. You simply hit the up or down button tho the air fuel ratio you want and it will hit it perfectly. If you know the air fuel ratio your atv makes peak power at this can work better than a dyno tune. If you do not know the air fuel ratio your bike makes peak power at you need a dyno if you want to do it correctly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Auto tune works good if you are already very close with your mapping. The dobeck AFR + is the only auto tune I have used that is really auto. Im not sure if you guys are using these on atv's yet but they are awesome. You simply hit the up or down button tho the air fuel ratio you want and it will hit it perfectly. If you know the air fuel ratio your atv makes peak power at this can work better than a dyno tune. If you do not know the air fuel ratio your bike makes peak power at you need a dyno if you want to do it correctly.
Yo yo what's up Fernando? Be down in a few weeks to drop off the TRX and the Raptor..

·
Just a 78HP trail bike
2,426 Posts
Not trying to be a dick here. You guys that say Auto tune works just fine, have you ever put your bike on a dyno shortly after the Auto tune?

I did that a couple of months after the auto tune came out. I was at little sahara, Ok and beat my self up weather or not I wanted to spend another 100 bucks and have it dyno'ed. I'm sure glad I did. My AFR was dangerous and I picked up 3-4 hp.

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,723 Posts
I have done just that. I had my air fuel ratios set at 13 and then went to go dyno, last year in October.

The tuner put the bike on the Dynojet Dyno and he said that was the closest he has ever seen anyone get the air fuel ratio with the Autotune. I still have the runfiles somewhere at home, can go have a look in 4 weeks time.

I suppose it depends on how you use it, whether your exhaust seals up well around the mid pipe. And how you do your runs. Preferably not on an erratic trail. You need a long open fairly straight road and you need to keep the throttle at what you think are more or less the TPS % for some extended periods of time. And it takes a couple of runs to get it right.

I have had good luck from a base map provided for mods close to mine. Took my about 5 runs of about 45 minutes of Autotune each to get small trims of +3 to -3. Smooth runs.

Some experience joy with the autotune, some dont. You need time and patience and it must be used correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you ever make a set of these if i sent my old headlights for a wee profit in a few months or something im looking at buying a brand new one now and really want a set of these

1 - 14 of 14 Posts