Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

*******THIS DYNOJET QUICK SHIFTER WILL ONLY WORK IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE DYNOJET POWER COMMANDER PC III, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE, YOU WILL NEED TO ORDER THAT AS WELL*******

IF YOU TO NEED TO INSTALL THE DYNOJET POWER COMMANDER, GO HERE FOR DIRECTIONS:
http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php/topic,3292.0.html


DYNOJET RECOMMENDS USAGE OF THIS PRODUCT FOR RACING USE ONLY OR DRY CONDITIONS

As usuall you will need a clean roomy workspace.

Tools needed:

3 mm Allen

4 mm Allen

8 mm Socket

8 mm Open Ended Wrench

10 mm Open Ended Wrench

Wire Cutters (To cut the wire ties)

Wire Ties (Preferably black)

Cordless Power Drill

Make sure that you have ordered or received the correct kit. For the 2006 Yamaha Raptor 700r, DynoJet Quick Shifter Part # 4-104 and if you do not have it already, you will also need the DynoJet Power Commander Part # 416-411.

Here's what is included in the kit:






I searched high and low and couldn't find anything online, as to exactly how to mount this Quick Shifter to the quad. So after awhile of brain storming and trying different setups, I found what is shown below, the best possible setup that I found that works 100 %, becuase the rod has to have full range of motion from gearing down to gearing up and if you never really looked at it from that close, there is actually a big range of motion. You have to set it up so the Quick Shifter Shaft doesn't bind anywhere when fully engaging the gear down or up.

The directions from DynoJet state to mount and tap into the frame for mounting of one end of the product and the other end has to be mounted to the gear shifter. Well, I found that one of the 8 mm bolts that go into the case worked really well to mount the hanger that holds up the top of the Quick Shifter.

I then checked for clearance between the OEM case saver, and made sure that on the up stroke and down stroke it did not bind or hit anything. Then after deciding that everything was good, I then had moved onto to selecting as to where to mount the bottom of the Quick Shifter to the gear shifter itself. After multiple positions, I made sure that position worked, becuase as they say, measure twice, cut once (in this case it drilling, wouldn't want to have extra holes in your gear shifter). So after marking the drill point on the gear shifter, I removed the OEM case saver, and removed the gear shifter (make sure that you take notice as to exactly what position the gear shifter is in, since you will be removing it to drill and thread it and then putting it back on). Use the bigger drill bit that DynoJet provides to drill into your mark on the gear shifter. After you are done with that, take the thread tap and make sure that you are straight and go for it and start spinning it, so you will now thread the gear shifter. Mount the gear shifter back to the same position as it was originally was. Install the OEM case saver.

Now your almost done. Everything that you have done thusfar was the most difficult part. Now comes easiest part. Make sure that the hanger on 8 mm bolt in the side of the case is loose and align everything loosly. Install the top of the Quick Shifter with the supplied allen bolt (choose the appropiate length, I used the middle length for the top mount), and then do the same for the bottom (I used the longest one for the gear shifter due to the thickness of the gear shifter). After you see that there is no binding anywhere and that the full up stroke and down stroke of the gear shifter is not bottoming or hitting, your good, just tighten everything together. If it is, the bottom piece on the Quick Shifter is adjustable (mini tie rod end), just loosen the smaller locking nut and adjust it to where it will work for you. Since the top of the bracket is threaded, it does tighten down the piece, I just tightened it down until it was snug and then used the supplied washer and lock nut on the back side of the bolt to make sure that it is not going anywhere at all. I then did the same for the bottom on the gear shifter.

I routed the wire up through and into the compartment under the seat, zipped tied everything and your good to go. Just make sure that you connect the plug from the Quick Shifter to the expansion port of the Power Commander. Now just use the supplied mini CD-ROM, slap it into your computer. Connect one end of the USB Cable to your computer and the other to your DynoJet Power Commander, start up your quad. Now that the computer communicates with the Power Commander, open up the CD-ROM and it should automatically open up the Shift Kill Time program, and just click to enable it. Then close that program and open up your Power Commander III software. Make sure that your computer is communicating with your Power Commander III, and then click on the Power Commander Tools, then click on Shift Kill Time, pick your setting, I used 100 ms for throttle cut-off and then choose the RPM that you want the Quick Shifter to work, and it will only work from that RPM and up, click OK, and your done. Zip tie the wires leading up into the compartment appropiately.

Now heres what I could of used, pics on how to mount it, since the pics included in the directions were from a motorcycle, not a quad. Below are the full pics:













I came across this link, after the fact, (it wasn't there before when I was searching for a pic of the final install, hence my installation is a little bit different) that shows you a picture of how DynoJet mounted there kit and it also has pricing info, click on the link for the details or you can just view the picture below it:

http://powercommander.com/416shift.htm



On a side note, I always thought my quad was pretty quick. Now after this modification, accelerating, is so swift, I'd hate to sound cheesy, but its AWESOME!!!!!!! Accelerating and not letting off of the throttle is something else entirely. This is a great mod, for handing your buddies his/her arse when they want to step up and race ya. I feel sorry for your buddy, because they won't know what` hit him.

Some links from DynoJets Site, in case you want to do some other reading:

Home page:
http://powercommander.com/

Quick Shifter PDF's page:
http://powercommander.com/quickshift.shtml

Power Commander Download Center:
http://powercommander.com/suppsoft.shtml

If anyone has any questions, etc. feel free to PM me or post up.


Good luck with your install!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Peace.
Mr. C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

Damn.. Another Nice Write UP :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

;)

I think with this additional mod that one can do with the Quick Shifter in conjunction with the Power Commander III, I think it gives it a definite edge over all the other EFI choices out there.

This is definite a sweet mod, once you try it and accelerate, you can't help but have a grin from ear to ear after you get off, or whenever you get off of it!!!!!!!

Peace.
Mr. C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

What does it sound like when you shift? And what about at lower speeds does it still use it? or is it controlled by the TPS and only active at 100% throttle postion opening? and what price did you get? did you pay the retail price power commander asks for?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Looks awesome. I'm curious to know if you have control over the module wether it's functionning or not. is there an off switch where we can still use your clutch to shift? What about taking off from a stand-still?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

Raptorjunkyard said:
What does it sound like when you shift? And what about at lower speeds does it still use it? or is it controlled by the TPS and only active at 100% throttle postion opening? and what price did you get? did you pay the retail price power commander asks for?

Thanks
I think the best comparison I can give would be like a semi-automatic vs full auto. Its almost like the NHRA guys where they have a staight tranny and just shift straight down, bang,bang, bang, bang and your in fifth, just like that. The Wquick Shifter is feed off of the TPS and will only activate itself in the RPM range you choose, you have that to adjust for your prference along with the throttle cut-off time as well. I was sent this piece of equipment for my unbiased writeup/review.

To answer your last question as far as price, I clicked on the page:

http://powercommander.com/buynowbike.shtml

Then I scrolled down to the bottom and clicked the 2006 Yamaha Raptor 700r link, 4-104 and behold, they actually have a picture of the installation, of how it should be installed. They should have that picture actually included in the directions that they provide. I had even clicked that link previously, and it was't there, knowing my luck, the site was just probably updated after I finished on Saturday morning. I was really close with the installation, but as long as the Quick Shifter is not binding and is as vertical as possible, your good to go. Luckily enough thats the same way I mounted mine, so I guess I got, lucky, I woiuld of been really pissed if I had done it incorrectly. Here's the link with the price and look a photo of the final installation:

http://powercommander.com/416shift.htm

I'll talk to the folks at DynoJet and make sure that they reference the photo, so a person doesn't have to sit there and guess what will work, like I did for about 1 hr, trying to figure out where the best location would be at.

Thanks,
Mr. C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rapt7ooR said:
Looks awesome. I'm curious to know if you have control over the module wether it's functionning or not. is there an off switch where we can still use your clutch to shift? What about taking off from a stand-still?
Thank you sir. Yes you have control over the Quick Shifter, cut-off throttle time and what RPM's the unit will at and over that RPM that you select, so if its anything below what you set it up for, it will not be active. Just make sure that you do not forget and that you go back to normal with the throttle,clutch, and gear shifter when down shifting, because the Quick Shifter is only intended for up shifting.
Taking off from a stand still is the same, that doesn't, its only when your up shifting from already in first gear, or second for a great launch and up shiftinging into the other gears.

Thanks,
Mr. C
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

Good Job :thumbsup: I have been thinking about this for the drags at Dunefest. I have a couple of questions though. 1. When your just riding/cruising around do you notice any increased effort required to shift gears normally? 2. From what I've learned from Dyno Jet they are indeed working on the add on ignition module that plugs into the expansion port and it should be done in 3 months from now, if you have the quick shifter in the expansion port will you still be able to utilize the ign. module, do you know? I hope they take that into consideration and offer some type of Y connector or something to run both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

RaptorRandy27 said:
Good Job :thumbsup: I have been thinking about this for the drags at Dunefest. I have a couple of questions though. 1. When your just riding/cruising around do you notice any increased effort required to shift gears normally? 2. From what I've learned from Dyno Jet they are indeed working on the add on ignition module that plugs into the expansion port and it should be done in 3 months from now, if you have the quick shifter in the expansion port will you still be able to utilize the ign. module, do you know? I hope they take that into consideration and offer some type of Y connector or something to run both.
Thanks again. I do not notice any difference in regular shifting, its like it is not even there. I'll ask DynoJet directly and see how they plan on intergrating the ignition module with the Quick Shifter into the Power Commander. From what your stating, a Y adapter would make total sense. I'll ask my contact at DynoJet and get back to you on the igntion module aspect.

Thanks,
Mr. C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

Nice. :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

CaliRaptor700r said:
RaptorRandy27 said:
Good Job :thumbsup: I have been thinking about this for the drags at Dunefest. I have a couple of questions though. 1. When your just riding/cruising around do you notice any increased effort required to shift gears normally? 2. From what I've learned from Dyno Jet they are indeed working on the add on ignition module that plugs into the expansion port and it should be done in 3 months from now, if you have the quick shifter in the expansion port will you still be able to utilize the ign. module, do you know? I hope they take that into consideration and offer some type of Y connector or something to run both.
Thanks again. I do not notice any difference in regular shifting, its like it is not even there. I'll ask DynoJet directly and see how they plan on intergrating the ignition module with the Quick Shifter into the Power Commander. From what your stating, a Y adapter would make total sense. I'll ask my contact at DynoJet and get back to you on the igntion module aspect.

Thanks,
Mr. C
Cool, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

Jason runs one on his 770 check it out at the ModQuad both at Dune fest
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

sparky yfz said:
Jason runs one on his 770 check it out at the ModQuad both at Dune fest

I'll do that :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

Sweet write up, Ive never even heard of this thing, It looks awesome, Im intreasted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

RaptorRandy27 said:
Good Job :thumbsup: I have been thinking about this for the drags at Dunefest. I have a couple of questions though. 1. When your just riding/cruising around do you notice any increased effort required to shift gears normally? 2. From what I've learned from Dyno Jet they are indeed working on the add on ignition module that plugs into the expansion port and it should be done in 3 months from now, if you have the quick shifter in the expansion port will you still be able to utilize the ign. module, do you know? I hope they take that into consideration and offer some type of Y connector or something to run both.
I got the info earlier today, the Power Commander III, Quick Shifter and Ignition Module will all work together. Here's the answer I received from my contact at DynoJet:

Good write up thanks! The Ignition Modules do come with a pigtail, so the quick shifter can still be used if you have all 3 units. Ignition Modules are still about 4-6 weeks out.

Thanks,

:thumbsup:

Mr. C
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

Ive never wondered about this part. I consider myself fast enough with the clutch and shifter that this would not benefit me, I MX mine mostly anyway so its a givin lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

VelociRaptor said:
Ive never wondered about this part. I consider myself fast enough with the clutch and shifter that this would not benefit me, I MX mine mostly anyway so its a givin lol.

As they say, every little bit counts.

But to each his own. Thanks V.

Peace.
Mr. C
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
Re: DynoJet Quick Shifter-"Throttle pegged,no clutch action,Keep On Accelerating!!!"

I will say that if I mainly drag raced it would probably be on the agenda of mods. I was just wondering how awkward it would be in MX conditions. The posts/writeups you do are the best 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
CaliRaptor700r said:
=

I got the info earlier today, the Power Commander III, Quick Shifter and Ignition Module will all work together. Here's the answer I received from my contact at DynoJet:

Good write up thanks! The Ignition Modules do come with a pigtail, so the quick shifter can still be used if you have all 3 units. Ignition Modules are still about 4-6 weeks out.

Thanks,

:thumbsup:

Mr. C
What's the advantage of the ignition module, what does it doe exactly?



Erik
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top