Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Was just looking for some opinions on where to start with some quick easy mods. I just picked up an 01 660, just want to get a few simple things done for now. Pretty new to quad and definitely new to modding them, quick to learn though. Anything will help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What kind of riding do you do, and is there anything done to the bike already? And what is your budget?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alot of quarry riding, there's a couple circuit tracks to race around on, haven't gotten into big jumps yet, but when my balls drop I'll be in there like a dirty sock lol got the little things like k&n air and oil, quad came with dynojet decals so I can only assume that it's jetted. Also has a Yoshimura rs-3 full exhaust. Have a hd grizzly battery on order, just replaced plug with an iridium one. That's everything I know of. As for budget I'd like to stay under $1000. It is a 10 yr old bike after all.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Well, assuming that the bike runs well with a full Yoshi exhaust, I think it's safe to assume as well that it's been rejetted as well. Is the K&N a stock replacement, or something more than that? You can do some pretty decent mods with a grand, but it all depends on which direction you would like to go with it. Do you feel you are lacking in power, or do you feel you are wanting stability, the possibilities are numerous, it just depends on where you want to spend the cash, you know?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
This may sound harsh but trust me, there are many members on here that will think or say the same thing and it's truly the best advice in my opinion. Don't drop a grand in this bike, If it's running well then ride it; it has some pretty good mods and seems to be ok.
Save your $1000, put it in a savings account. Save your money and soon as you have 2000 total saved up sell the 01 660 for 1600-1800 and find a Later model 700 or YFZ for $3800.
Now you're set to build a good late model performance machine that will hold it's value for the next 10 years.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
This may sound harsh but trust me, there are many members on here that will think or say the same thing and it's truly the best advice in my opinion. Don't drop a grand in this bike, If it's running well then ride it; it has some pretty good mods and seems to be ok.
Save your $1000, put it in a savings account. Save your money and soon as you have 2000 total saved up sell the 01 660 for 1600-1800 and find a Later model 700 or YFZ for $3800.
Now you're set to build a good late model performance machine that will hold it's value for the next 10 years.
Wow, someone doesnt like 660s...........hmmmmmmmmmm...........:D

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
I love mine........:D

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
That's the advice I would give myself if I were in his shoes and know what I know now.

Once you start investing in a dinosaur you're trapped and for the next decade you'll walk into your garage every day and there's "Barny the money pit" looking back a you with those sad eyes. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not like I plan on going pro. I bought this purely as a toy, just to screw around on and have fun. We have 5 long months of winter here and I have plenty of time to tinker on something that isn't my truck. I'm just looking to take this past stock, little more power, little more stability. Just want to leave my buddy in the dust haha

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
+1, when i got my 660, i loved it, now its not that way, this year alone i have had 2 rebuilds, infact after my current rebuild im selling it and buying a 700....

·
Registered
23 Posts
well if i were u and looking for overall performance not just power, suspension is a must, i put 450 front shocks on mine and 700 SE rear shock, i had the 700 fronts but it sat a bit high for me. they both take a bit of a mod to make work but instead of drpping 1500 on full aftermarket mine cost 300 for all around.

as for engine mods if u are truly planning on spending under 1000 and assuming you spend 300 on shocks. that leaves you w/700$
11:1 piston so u can still run pump gas and cam to get started. depending on which cam u buy you will need to drop an extra couple hundred on valve springs along with the cam if u choose above a stage 1. also if the K&N is just a stock replacement i would invest an adapter that can remove the airlid

if u can find a place for a port and polish i have been wanting to do that but i would get a few opinions from other members
happy modding!

·
Registered
23 Posts
also watch out for that 01 tranny! itll get ya everytime

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Not all 01 trannys are bad. mine is an 01 and is still going strong......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts