Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the oem radiator on one of my 05s got a small pin hole in it. i took it to a welding shop to have it fixed and they told me it is made out of such thin aluminum they wouldnt stand behind their repair. he pretty much made it sound like they would do nothing but burn through it while welding or brazing....whatever they were planning on doing.

after reading about all the other oem 660 rads that have developed a leak, there is no way i was going to pay top dollar for a new one......or pay 75-100 for a used one that only God himself knows what its been through. so, i ended up with this $100 rad from ebay. 1st impressions out of the box.....looks built better than i had anticipated. 1st impressions after starting to install it......well, not so great...

first you need to attach the oem fan onto the new aftermarket radiator. it uses "snap on threaded clips" to fasten to fan (see the black square looking pieces on the oem rad below). well, this doesnt work too well because the aluminum tabs that these snap onto are over twice as thick as the oem setup, and they are a pain in the ass to get on. after bending the hell out of them, it got them on.

next i set the fan on the rad to thread in the bolts. i find that the mounting tabs are not even CLOSE to being welded on the correct spot. i ended up taking off the damn clips that didnt fit very well in the 1st place and just throwing them in the garbage. then i had to make the holes egg shaped so i could get them to line up and used 3 short 1/4'' bolts and nuts to attach the fan to the rad. it is now held on alot better than it ever was before.....but, not a good start for this "direct replacement".

moving on to installing the temp sending unit... the oem rad uses a female threaded fitting with a beveled and smooth outer lip to accomodate o-ring sealed sending unit. the ebay special rad does not have this nice smooth mating surface for the oring to seal. it is simply a "pipe thread" fitting welded on. so, i wrapped the sender with teflon tape, left the oring on, and threaded it in. we'll see if it seals up :rolleyes:

next was bolting the rad into the frame. for once the holes lined up! unfortunately, the brackets are welded on so cock-eyed that the rad isnt even CLOSE to being centered in the frame (see pics below). the neck where the top coolant hose attaches was rubbing on the steel brake line that goes down to the "T" in front of the oil reservoir. the mounting tabs are aluminum just like the rest of the rad, so it didnt take much to bend the tabs and shift the whole radiator to the RH side a couple inches.

then i went to install the small black hose that goes from the filler neck to the overflow bottle. the nipple that this hose attaches to is about 33% larger than the oem nipple....so the hose wont fit. i smeared some lube on the nipple and pushed the hose on with a needle nose pliers....we'll see how long that lasts before the hose tears or cracks...

last is the radiator cap...... it is flat out JUNK. the oem cover seemed to be the same size so i will try it and see if it seals.

i have not drove it yet because it was dark when i got done, and i didnt want to put the front plastic and headlights on until i can get a few miles on it to see if anything leaks.

i WOULD NOT recommend this radiator to anyone that is looking for a direct replacement. if the radiator holds water and lasts as long as the oem did.....i would say my $100 was well spent. but i had every intention of this being a 30 minute install.......instead i had problems with every step. nothing hard to fix, but i know how some people are when it comes to these types of things. so potential buyers....you were warned!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Overall, you get what you pay for. If it works I'd call it a huge success at that price, regardless of the 'file to fit' required to install.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the write i was about to buy one today but was late to work.lol Now there is acouple of them from difrent brands which one did u buy??

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
I had planned on getting one of these, when I found a new Fluidyne for $50 more. I had many of the same problems with installing the Fluidyne. In fact, I seem to have that problem with many of the aftermarket parts I buy.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Look on the bright side. You helped some 14 year old kid, who is now half blind from welding flash, to help suport his third world family.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'm not a welder, but man... I don't like those welds.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Well that is the down side to ebay and ordering parts from china. I bet if you bought a fluidyne or other brand from a sponcer and it fit that bad they would be more than happy to take it back and get you one that fits correctly. Ebay and China on top of it, not so much.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Well that is the down side to ebay and ordering parts from china. I bet if you bought a fluidyne or other brand from a sponcer and it fit that bad they would be more than happy to take it back and get you one that fits correctly. Ebay and China on top of it, not so much.
That is the reason I am willing to pay more for stuff from TQS or wherever instead of ebay. Although sometimes there are deals that you cant pass up on ebay..:D

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Let us know how it works out, Bocephus... the only issue now is whether it will last - hopefully those welds will stand up to prolonged cooling system pressures while being bounced around.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Maybe they done it on purpose to improve cooling. Kind of like how some sports cars tip the radiator back to help improve cooling. Only yours is just tipped to the side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
not sure about the atv industry, but in the automobile industry an aftermarket part must have at least a 10% change in design in order for it to be sold in the us. I fix wrecked cars for a living and aftermarket parts are a pain to install.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
not sure about the atv industry, but in the automobile industry an aftermarket part must have at least a 10% change in design in order for it to be sold in the us. I fix wrecked cars for a living and aftermarket parts are a pain to install.
Certi Fit sucks.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts

Your absolutely correct! Most of the companies we deal with will exchange or replace a faulty new item. The companies who didn't in the past are no longer being sold on our site. By the way a lot of name brand parts are made in China..:(

www.kbmatv.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts