Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experiance with this? I searched but didnt find anything. I ask because I have had problems jetting my quad, even the shop cant figure it out. So I figure instead of spending all that money to figure out my carb, why not get one of these and get some extra power while im at it and have the ability to jet without removing the carb which will be great.

So any experiances, info or anything on this would be great. Thanks! :thumbsup:

-Eric

·
Registered
364 Posts
a buddy of mine put one on and loved it until he hit top end...the carb could never give him enough fuel. He had a moderate build at the time and it just wouldn't work for him so he sold it and bought dual FCR's. Now he rocks!!! I've heard several stories of the edelbrock not holding up or not delivering what is needed. Maybe the other guys here can give you more input but be sure to research your purchase real good. good luck,

Max

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Same sentiment, good for stock and near stock bikes with low and midrange in mind. If you're porting and adding a stage 2 cam or better, don't even let the idea cross your mind. The stockers will flow better on top end than the single edelbrock will.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So someone like me with a pipe and a modded air box would work ok then, since I dont plan on doing anything more to the bike performance wise? Or is there another brand out there that is in the same price range? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, anyone with experiance if you can let me know how you jet it without removing the carb? Is it similiar to our stock where it has different needles or do they simplify it? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
It'd be a fine upgrade for a bolt on bike, even with a stg1 cam. Adjustment is done solely by adjusting the needle. They ship a couple of needles and you adjust from there. Really hits the wall around 8k rpm though.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So in your opinion mike this sounds like a good mod for my bike and I took the old carb off a million times so I assume installation would be a breeze right?

When you say really hits the wall around 8k though, hits the wall as in a good thing or a bad thing? If bad, why?

·
Registered
364 Posts
mike is saying it as though its a bad thing.....don't buy the carb....keep what you have....trust us on this dude!! for your build what you have is perfectly capable.

Max

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maxb750 said:
mike is saying it as though its a bad thing.....don't buy the carb....keep what you have....trust us on this dude!! for your build what you have is perfectly capable.

Max

But my probelm is that my carb has a problem, Its been in two shops and no one can seem to get it jetted properly. I dont know if they are just retarted or if there is some unseen problem but my quad has been unridable now for about 6 weeks. This one big shop in my area thats had my quad now for 2 weeks and they still cant get it running right. So im about to give up and buy something aftermarket cause we cant figure out mine.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
CV carbs aren't that complicated, and the raptor's carbs are a pain but they're not impossible to jet. If the shops can't do anything and can't find anything wrong with the carbs, it's time to check other components. It's entirely possible that the bike's problems will not be solved by a new carb.

You can get the edelbrock, just don't expect much on the top end. I'd make sure the carb is the problem though before plopping down 500-550 bucks.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it was bogging bad in mid rpm's, the shop jetted it and now its bogging bad in low/mid rpm's. The wierd thting is that it runs perfect for about 10 minutes then once it heats up it starts to bog and the shops told me they cant figure out whats wrong.

Any other ideas aside from jetting that would make it do that? The reason I thinks its jetting is because it was bogging in the mid, now after jetting it bogs bad in low and a little in mid too. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
firstraptor said:
Choke OK, not rusted?
Gas cap vent clear?
Fuel flow from tank OK?

Do you know the current and past jetting changes?
Chokes perfect, gas vent clear, tank flows perfect.

Ive tried about every jetting combo in the world over the last 6 weeks, right now its jetted like the instructions say...... 148/164, needle was on 3rd but now on 4th, mis screws 3 turns, factory pilots. Old jetting was stock which I think was 144/142.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Don't waste your money on the Edelbrock, I had one on my Raptor, like everyone said it SUCKS top-end. There really isn't much of a difference from stock, besides an easier tune. I sold mine on Ebay for $431 and put my stockers back on with a Dynojet Stage-2 jet kit, and it actually improved mid-top power... Go figure, they are definently worth it. My mains are 155,160 yours might be a little low.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried the 155/160 and it died about 10 feet down the road. It got better and better the lower I went till about 146/144 then it got a little worse. 148/146 was the best but still blew. What do the pilot jets usually effect, low mid or top? Since im stock pilots thats about the only thing I havent messed with.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
If you're running mikuni jets then you'll want to be in the 160/165 range w/o lid, 155/160 w/ lid. DJ mains should put you at 144/146 or 146/148 per DJ's own specs. OEM needles on 3rd or 4th clip, DJ/GYTR needles on 3rd clip. Pilots are ok at 22.5 stock, they affect idle to 1/4 throttle. But you should bump the fuel screws up to 2.5 turns out, or up to 25 pilots (both sides) and try 1.5 turns or so.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a dynojet kit which I believe are dj mains so I am in the correct range with the mains and correct with the needles. The mix srews are at 3 turns out so Ill try 2 and also ill give the 25 pilots a shot and see how she is. The shop its at now is just not getting anywhere and in truth I think they are idiots cause a good shop like I was told they were shouldnt have this hard of a time jetting a damn quad.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Apologies if I have not read the whole thing, but what mods are you running on the airbox, air cleaner, and exhaust system. I need to know everything.

Have you checked my sticky post on this forum about the clear tube method.

Do the mods I mention in there and get back to me at what altitude you are and I will give you a starting point to get those carbs dialled in correctly.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Freez said:
Apologies if I have not read the whole thing, but what mods are you running on the airbox, air cleaner, and exhaust system. I need to know everything.

Have you checked my sticky post on this forum about the clear tube method.

Do the mods I mention in there and get back to me at what altitude you are and I will give you a starting point to get those carbs dialled in correctly.
I actually did do your cleartube mod and it did make it better but still not good. Right now I am running a dr d pipe, k&n filter, no lid, and some holes drilled in the box with those little uni filters installed to help with dust. My altitude is about 1500 above. I bought a dyno jet kit which for my mods and level it recommended 148/146 with the needles on the third clip and fuel screws 3 turns out. It ran ok but nowhere near good. I did the needles on the 4th clip which helped but its still not good. I have factory pilots for now. I am very close to selling the quad and getting a raptor 700 so I can be FI and forget this whole mess. I just find it crazy that no shop here and get it dialed in. I wanna find someone out of state and send them it cause Im so frustrated right now. Its been out of commission for about 2 months now. Bogs hard in mid/low rpm's but only once the quad heats up.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ And when I put the airlid back on it gets worse so shoud I try a higher jet setup like a 150/148? Or fules screws to a 3.5 turn out or a 2.5 turn out?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts