Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 bone stock Rappy 700, and I purchased a pro foam air filter intake setup. It is still shrink wrapped, but I was informed before I install it to purchase a EFI controller. I do not plan on adding any other mods such as full exhaust or any engine work. Before I get any further, is it worth it to buy a controller and install the intake? I plan on selling this Rappy in a year, but I wanted to install the filter setup instead of reselling it. I have zero mechanical knowledge when it comes to these things and to top it off, I am serving in the military in Germany. So I have to ask experts like yourself online for advice/info. Also do you recommend to run with the lid on or off? I will be trail riding, no sand, but a some mud. This is Germany, so it is not like Arkansas mudding woodlands, but enough to get you dirty. i prefer something plug and play with the premap like alba controller for me. Something to where a noob like myself can figure out without doing any engine long term damage. something setup for just the stock exhaust, but with a intake setup. Also I am looking for something under $100 used, if you know someone whom has one for sale. I tried educating mysef by looking at the controller with the number system or the mode button configuration and it looks complicated. Thanks for your help. I know that I should have done the research before I started clicking away on the net to buy things for my Rappy. Just got excited, that's all.:eek:

·
Registered
135 Posts
It is very important to install a fuel controller if your going do any mods at all. This allows you to take advantage of the modifications you are doing. Otherwise you will run lean (not the correct air/fuel ratio) and this could potentially cause damage.

Running with the lid off will help it breath. If your not doing any deep water crossings youll be fine.

I do not plan on adding any other mods such as full exhaust or any engine work.
I remember saying something like this before, but once you install and feel that gains you won't want to stop.

I would say get a Power Commander III you might be able to find a used one around your budget.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Alaska 700, after I posted this I did a little research on Youtube and a couple of other sites. If you see anything around my price range, then give me a shout.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Might of found one, check your inbox.

·
Registered
615 Posts
For under a $100 your going to have a tough time finding a power commander but you can find a dobeck style controller used for that amount. The problem you are going to have with the dobeck style is most of those are preloaded with maps for exhausts. This is going to cause those style controllers to make you run rich and those style controllers only allow you to add fuel, not take it away, in other words, your going to be rich with that type of controller and no way of leaning it out to where it will need to be.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
For under a $100 your going to have a tough time finding a power commander but you can find a dobeck style controller used for that amount. The problem you are going to have with the dobeck style is most of those are preloaded with maps for exhausts. This is going to cause those style controllers to make you run rich and those style controllers only allow you to add fuel, not take it away, in other words, your going to be rich with that type of controller and no way of leaning it out to where it will need to be.
I might be wrong but AFAIK the Dobecks don't have preloaded maps.. If you set all "pots" to zero you have a stock curve and anything you add will add some fuel. You are right in saying it cannot take fuel away, but as far as I know Dobeck, Lexx, Trinity and all other Dobeck flavors have the same programming with just different labels.

Back to the original question, if you keep the lid on and only use an intake as mods, you shouldn't need any more fuel. Check your plug periodically to make sure you aren't running lean but normally this is such a small mod that the stock curve which is kinda rich will be able to take it without problem.

Any other mod you do will bring you to the point where you need it though, be it removing the spark arrestor, lid, any kind of slip-on or exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I understood differently, from what I had always heard the trintitys, HMF, etc were base mapped to the exhaust. I was also told when I originally bought my dobeck that if I needed the base map to be changed I could send it into dobeck. I had it put on a sniffer and found it was rich, contacted Dobeck and was told they couldn't do this. I didn't go any farther than that and went to a PCIII.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I understood differently, from what I had always heard the trintitys, HMF, etc were base mapped to the exhaust. I was also told when I originally bought my dobeck that if I needed the base map to be changed I could send it into dobeck. I had it put on a sniffer and found it was rich, contacted Dobeck and was told they couldn't do this. I didn't go any farther than that and went to a PCIII.
Well I have a Lexx here and I had a Trinity a while back... From what I saw the only difference was the instructions that came with it. One suggested settings for a Lexx slip-on w/ intake and the other suggested settings for a full trinity pipe w/ intake and the proposed settings were different.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the curve is on a ROM and you can only toy with it using the controller settings. Anyone actually know?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
qcraptor,

If I plan on running with my lid off and outerware on my intake, then the controller will come in hand right? I just bought a trinity iv from a member here.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If I plan on running with my lid off and outerware on my intake, then the controller will come in hand right? I just bought a trinity iv from a member here.
It'll be borderline, depends on your elevation at this point I guess. A friend of mine had a K&N, no spark arrestor, open lid and a trinity controller I sold him. He went for some dyno runs and he was running too rich and the guy had him remove his controller altogether and said it was fine without it.

Check your plug color I guess, that will tell you a lot. Just the K&N on it's own should be no issue without the controller... The open lid not sure.. With the cork still in the exhaust, I'm not sure it's going to make much if any improvement and thus I'm not convinced the controller will be necessary.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It'll be borderline, depends on your elevation at this point I guess. A friend of mine had a K&N, no spark arrestor, open lid and a trinity controller I sold him. He went for some dyno runs and he was running too rich and the guy had him remove his controller altogether and said it was fine without it.
I have a friend running the exact same setup with no controller on an 08, he has been running this way since he bought it new in the fall of 07 and everything has been fine with his.

I think you will be fine without the fuel controller because of the stock exhaust. I would recommend keeping an eye on the plug to be safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts