Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was recently a survey taken by Dirt Wheels magazine that shows that the majority of riders put an exhaust and air filter on, but no EFI. This would seem to contradict what most of you guys are saying about needing one indefinitely. What are your guys thoughts and do you really think with all the riders out there that hardly any of them have an EFI or map.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Gee Dirt Wheels was wrong again... Big freaking surprise :lol:
First of all EFI stands for Electronic Fuel Injection, so if there was no EFI then they must have a carburetor. I think most riders out there don't have EFI cause most bikes are carbureted.
Now if you are talking about a controller than maybe they surveyed people with carburetors. If they want an accurate survey then they should come to a place like RaptorForum.com and do a survey of real Raptor 700 riders.

G

·
The raptor's FI is crap. There is no O2 sensor so it can't really make up for any mods, i.e pipe and filter... It can be reflashed but, if you disconnect the battery or the battery goes dead your map may diasappear. What the after market controllers do is add or decrease the amount of fuel that your injector is placing in th combustion chamber based off you throttle position and rpm's. This is EXTREMELY important since you are addin way more air than your stock fi can handle!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Billy might be try to say that DW is saying most people mod there efi bikes and don't add/mod a controller for the efi system. Which will allow a bike to still run, but really lean. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Rapt0rMan said:
The raptor's FI is crap. There is no O2 sensor so it can't really make up for any mods, i.e pipe and filter... It can be reflashed but, if you disconnect the battery or the battery goes dead your map may diasappear. What the after market controllers do is add or decrease the amount of fuel that your injector is placing in th combustion chamber based off you throttle position and rpm's. This is EXTREMELY important since you are addin way more air than your stock fi can handle!
Don't know if I would say the Raptor's EFI is crap. Street bikes and all other atv's have the same type of system. They all use controllers and street bikes have had EFI far longer than ATVs. I swear we have to go over this question of controllers every couple of months :crazy: I am not sure why they don't use an O2 sensor like a car, but it sure would be nice.

G

·
pile0g00 said:
Rapt0rMan said:
Don't know if I would say the Raptor's EFI is crap. Street bikes and all other atv's have the same type of system. They all use controllers and street bikes have had EFI far longer than ATVs. I swear we have to go over this question of controllers every couple of months :crazy: I am not sure why they don't use an O2 sensor like a car, but it sure would be nice.
I guess I shouldn't have siad crap... I just meant that it can't handle even the smallest change in air flow...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any chance that an O2 sensor could be easily damaged by vibration, mud and water? Perhaps that is why they KISS the FI system on the Raptor? That being said, do you need to adjust the fuel ratio when you go to high altitudes? What part of the FI system handles the less dense air at the high altitudes?

·
Registered
227 Posts
champ3836 said:
Any chance that an O2 sensor could be easily damaged by vibration, mud and water? Perhaps that is why they KISS the FI system on the Raptor? That being said, do you need to adjust the fuel ratio when you go to high altitudes? What part of the FI system handles the less dense air at the high altitudes?
I put a wideband O2 sensor on my modded Sportsman 600 so I could keep track of the air/fuel ratio and change accordingly with my dial-a-jet (carburated quad). It held up just fine.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Broken Arrow said:
champ3836 said:
I put a wideband O2 sensor on my modded Sportsman 600 so I could keep track of the air/fuel ratio and change accordingly with my dial-a-jet (carburated quad). It held up just fine.
I dont know everytime I have a engine light come on in a dam car they say its the O2 sensor lol :lol:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
with the mods i did, i needed a controller. otherwise my bike was running lean as hell. i think next is a wideband o2 sensor.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Rapt0rMan said:
pile0g00 said:
Rapt0rMan said:
I guess I shouldn't have siad crap... I just meant that it can't handle even the smallest change in air flow...
LOL, sorry if it sounded like I was raggin on ya, it was not ment that way

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Broken Arrow said:
champ3836 said:
It has a sensor to monitor the atmospheric pressure.

G

·
pile0g00 said:
Rapt0rMan said:
pile0g00 said:
Rapt0rMan said:
LOL, sorry if it sounded like I was raggin on ya, it was not ment that way
Not at all! I'm not to good at typin' whats in my nugget... I'm whatcha call a waterhead!

·
Registered
209 Posts
It has a sensor to monitor the atmospheric pressure.
[/quote]

And the intake air temp. It's not that they can't handle a change in airflow, they don't even know it's there.
There's supposed to be some EFI controllers in the works, including the one by Terry Compenents that's in the Dennis Kirk catalog. Here's Terry's website, but so far there's no mention of quads, only Harleys.
http://www.terrycomp.com/tv.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts