Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I am sure some of you have heard about the lids that are out there that are like running no lid. Protec moflow is one, and this EHS is another. Then there is always not running one at all....but for some of us that doesn’t work out so well in wet/muddy/snow conditions. I have been running an open box with just an outerwear’s since I bought it, and now that we are getting into winter I have been realizing the need for a lid.
I had one of these for my YFZ and was really happy with it. I also tried the Protec moflow and while it’s nice looking, it never sealed to the air box and it was always rattling around cause it wasn’t secured well enough.
The nice thing about the EHS racing lid is it’s the factory lid, just opened up so that it’s just like running no lid at all....but with water/snow/mud protection!
Now I have not dyno'd it or anything, but I can’t tell a diff with it on or off. Seems to flow just as well as running no lid. I am going on a long ride this weekend and will play around with it....but I doubt I will find any difference.
Anyway, just wanted to show it off to people that are looking for a lid, or at least provide pictures for what they look like installed and everything. You can get the billet aluminum in several colors. Very nice product....but like the protec, a little spendy at $90 for the complete lid, or there is a $70 option for the kit to do it yourself.
Here is a link: http://www.ehsracing.com/

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another pic

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey I ordered the same lid for my bike but have not installed it yet. (waiting for the rest of my parts to come in). I too like the quality of the piece. :thumbsup:very nice. Are you running the little sponge snorkle block off thing? :3question:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, I took that off. I wanted maximum flow. Our stocker which still has the lid on never gets any crap in the airbox......so I dont think its a big deal not having that spong crap in there. However, if you are going threw some really nasty crap, there is always a chance.

The way I have it set up I cant tell any difference that a lid is on there. I have taken it off and put it back on and felt no diff. I did however put the stock lid on, and that made a diff....haha.

Anyway, definately a nice item......oh, did you see where I ended up putting the PCIII. I use to have it back there where the tool kit goes, but I wanted to start bringing tools with me again, so I moved it forward. Turned out pretty neat! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Anybody else have any problems with the Protec moflow? I was in the process of getting one but now I wouldnt mind some more input before I spend the money.
Boom, I see in the pic you dont have the commander inside the airbox anymore? The EHS is a great solution to your idea as opposed to the moflow.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I have heard that the Protec lids do not fit tight, but that you can just buy some automotive weather stripping and put that on the bottom to fix the problem. Sucks you pay that much money for something that should cost about 10-15 dollars and you have to fix poor workmanship. IMO

·
Registered
383 Posts
EHS Racing started out near me and I know the owners brother, thats how I first heard about them. The more I think and hear about it I will end up with EHS. GNCC requires stock airbox lid to remain stock. "Stock" is anything made of the same construction or design (something like that) in their rulebook. Think this is considered stock by GNCC? Technically its the same lid. I dont know how lenient their rules are. This might help anyone wanting to try a series that has similar rules.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have one of these lids and am VERY happy with it. It's much easier to install than "slip over the greasy foam filter" outerwear sock. Also, it keeps my air filter much cleaner than running with the lid off and no outerwear. I also have noticed no decrease in power with the EHS unit with or without the snorkle plug in. All in all, I think it was worth the 90 bucks. Cant go wrong when it looks trick AND works as advertised.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just curious, but couldn't a guy that's fairly handy buy some of the Outerwears mat'l, cut a hole in his lid and put the stuff over the hole? I mean, isn't that all that you're doing and getting for $90? Anyone know where you could buy JUST the Outerwears mat'l?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was wondering the same thing... I have all the equipment to machine my own mounting flange.

I see EHS sells replacements, pre-cut with edge sealing. That's an option.

To those who have the EHS: Is the entire top of the lid cut out under the outerwear (one big hole), or do they leave a couple strips of plastic to support the outerwear? I was thinking to cut out leaving a "+" shaped structure to support the center.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mws said:
I was wondering the same thing... I have all the equipment to machine my own mounting flange.

I see EHS sells replacements, pre-cut with edge sealing. That's an option.

To those who have the EHS: Is the entire top of the lid cut out under the outerwear (one big hole), or do they leave a couple strips of plastic to support the outerwear? I was thinking to cut out leaving a "+" shaped structure to support the center.
....there is nothing in the center....a .0001oz sheet of outerwears doesnt need to much support in the middle :thumbsup:

You could make your own, but I dont have time and I wanted it to look good.....and not homemade.

They have the "kits" available for $70. Definately worth the $20 to me to have someone else do all the work and cutting.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
raptair700r said:
Anybody else have any problems with the Protec moflow? I was in the process of getting one but now I wouldnt mind some more input before I spend the money.
Boom, I see in the pic you dont have the commander inside the airbox anymore? The EHS is a great solution to your idea as opposed to the moflow.

Hey there....I ran the moflow on my yfz...its a nice looking unit and works...its just the "fit" is kinda lame. At the same price you can have something that does the same thing, and fits just like stock.
I always had my PCIII back in the tool compartment. I moved it forward because the velcro was always coming off the wall of the tool compartment, and I wanted to bring tools with me.
I prefer having it up there in front.....turned out nice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
135boom said:
....there is nothing in the center....a .0001oz sheet of outerwears doesnt need to much support in the middle :thumbsup:

You could make your own, but I dont have time and I wanted it to look good.....and not homemade.

They have the "kits" available for $70. Definately worth the $20 to me to have someone else do all the work and cutting.
Thank you! Their pricing is fair and the kit option is great. But when you have a mill at your disposal... well...

I was more concerned about air pressure leading to sagging/drooping of the outerwear over time.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mws said:
135boom said:

Thank you! Their pricing is fair and the kit option is great. But when you have a mill at your disposal... well...

I was more concerned about air pressure leading to sagging/drooping of the outerwear over time.
If you have the tools and your good, and you got the time, then there is no reason not to do it yourself. I was just speaking for myself. :thumbsup:
The air pressure is nil, and ran one on my yfz for several years without any sagging.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oli700 said:
just throw your lids away
done that, been there. In the winter months my airbox turns into a frog pond..and the filter is a mess. Too much mud,snow, and water can get thrown up in there.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Home made lid...cost no more than $10

·
Registered
287 Posts
I contacted Outwears and asked about buying just the material in a sheet. In case anyone is interested, here is the answer:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Outerwears Material. I do have specific sizes you may order with a Visa or Mastercard. I have listed the prices and part numbers below:

PN Size Price

WR12 12” x 12” $10.45

WR18 18” x 18” $17.95

WR24 24” x 24” $32.45

Colors available: Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, Orange, Purple

This is our Water Repellent Pre-filter material. If you’d like to place an order, please call customer service at 269-679-3301

1 - 20 of 22 Posts