Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a ride last saturday night, had absolutely no problems, everything worked as it should. I normally put it back in the garage but I couldn't really find the motivation to move the cars around to fit it in there, so I just left it outside. We got a hell of a thunderstorm the next morning while it was still sitting outside and when I went to move it into the garage it was completely dead, no power to anything. No neutral light, reverse light, headlights, etc. When I hit the starter it doesn't even try to do anything, no clicking from the relay. Checked the fuse at the relay and its good, so no problems there either. Tried jumping the relay with a screwdriver and the motor turned over but wouldn't fire, I'm thinking it doesn't have spark either, but the battery is definitely not the problem. I have no idea what could be causing the problem, I have to be overlooking something. Help!

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Key switch may be water logged... short the two wires that go to it (red and brown) together and see if your power comes back.

As you now know, not a good idea to leave them out in the rain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to bring the issue back up, especially after so long...with school and work, its a little difficult to get to take care of the things I want to. So I finally checked out the key switch, tied the two wires together and still nothing. I swapped out a starter relay just for the heck of it, made sure all the fuses were fine, still..no dice. Tried jumping the starter relay, it turns over..so the battery is not the issue. Where do I go from here?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
check the battery, the wire came off mine and it was acting the same. also make sure your kill switch is on.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it? A couple of simple measurements will tell us where your problem is.

But, to verify, with key switch on and run/stop at run, NO lights come on, headlights don't work, etc., correct?

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Then you should find a friend that does and has - you're going to need to make a couple of measurements to go further with this, without taking it to professionals.

I can tell you this much (based solely upon your statements to date): Battery and battery cables are fine. Fuse is not making contact with fuse holder, OR red wire from starter relay is not making contact in its connector OR red wire is interrupted somewhere along its path between the starter relay and the key switch.

A couple of measurements will point to the culprit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry about the late replies, during the week I'm not able to check it out as I'm at school and my weekends are filled up with work...I do have a friend who has a meter and is able to use it so I'll definitely ask him to help. I may be able to check it out thursday night when I get home and I'll see if I can make heads or tails of it. Can you let me know what needs to be checked and what the meter should be reading?

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Measure with negative (black) meter lead on battery negative, meter set to DC Volts, 12 or more (or auto), positive (red) lead to:

1) wire from battery to starter relay at the relay
2) red wire in connector on top of starter relay
3) red wire at key switch
4) brown wire at key switch (with key switch on)
5) red/black wire at run/stop switch or at CDI (with key and run/stop both on)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Starting from back when the whole issue started, I cut both of the wires (red,brown) at the key and tied them together, I'm not sure whether or not its this simple to bypass the key, regardless, it did nothing. The problem still exists.

-I have power at the starter relay from the positive wire connected to the battery, slightly over 12 volts

-I have power at the red wire in the connector at the top of the starter relay

-I have power at the red wire at the key

This is where it becomes confusing to me. I rejoined the red and brown wires back into those at the key, turned the key on, and I have no power comming out of the brown wire. I still have power at the red wire. However, when I seperate the brown wire and test at the key again (with the red wire still connected to the key), the small portion of brown wire comming from the key gets power. I don't understand why when I rejoin the brown wire that it completely goes dead. Could there be a short somewhere?

From there I didn't check any more wires, as there is no power to any of the switches, lights, coil, etc.

I believe the problem lies with the brown wire, although I don't have the slightest idea.

And again, I apologize for not being a little more quick with this.
Thank you for all your help

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Starting from back when the whole issue started, I cut both of the wires (red,brown) at the key and tied them together, I'm not sure whether or not its this simple to bypass the key, regardless, it did nothing. The problem still exists.

-I have power at the starter relay from the positive wire connected to the battery, slightly over 12 volts

This is where it becomes confusing to me. I rejoined the red and brown wires back into those at the key, turned the key on, and I have no power comming out of the brown wire. I still have power at the red wire. However, when I seperate the brown wire and test at the key again (with the red wire still connected to the key), the small portion of brown wire comming from the key gets power. I don't understand why when I rejoin the brown wire that it completely goes dead. Could there be a short somewhere?

From there I didn't check any more wires, as there is no power to any of the switches, lights, coil, etc.

I believe the problem lies with the brown wire, although I don't have the slightest idea.

The red wire that supplies power to the ignition switch gets its power from the fuse, check this circuit, maybe you have a bad connection at the fuse, or a problem with the red wire...............

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts

This leads me to believe that the key switch has high resistance when turned on.

Twist red and brown together (as you had before) and continue following 12V - find where it dies again. It should split from the brown wire into a brown and red/white wires... follow each one and see if one loses 12V - use a straight pin to pierce the insulation and get to the copper inside, touching your red probe to the pin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But the resistance in the key is only there when the brown wire is re connected? It seems fine when its not, I get the same amount comming from the red as I do the brown (at the key) when I have the brown wire seperated. When I rejoin the brown wire, it kills it.

I should be home in the morning to keep digging deeper, I'll follow the brown wire into the red/white and see if I can find anything that would be causing this.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
If you don't understand electronics and Ohms Law (E=IR) it won't make sense - I do and it does.

Connect the red and brown wires together and see where 12V dies now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Taking the key out of the equation, I tied the brown and red wires together. When I test for power, it remains completely dead. When I seperate them and test at the red, it reads close to 12.

As soon as the brown wire is connected into the red, it completely kills it.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Okay, so the source feeding the red wire is high resistance - check carefully the fuse, the fuse contacts for tightness, etc.

WHen you connect brown to red (or turn on the key switch) what happens to battery voltage? Where do you lose 12V - you have to find this spot to tell you where the problem is.

BTW, from previous statements your key switch may be bad also - so for now, test with the red and brown wires twisted together - then we'll test the switch separately... it's hard to troubleshoot if there are multiple issues - remove the key switch from the equation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts