Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in need of a bit of help here and I just havent been able to find the time to get out to the shop and start diagnosing this thing so Im trying to take a short cut and throw this out for some help.

01 660 Raptor

I was out riding for a few hours, a few weeks ago without an issue.

After we were done for the day, I pulled the bike up behind the trailer and shut it off.

After 30 mins of it sitting there, I went to start it up to pull it in the trailer and now it wont start.
The starter works fine. It cranks the motor just fine. Theres no spark.
SO, I put in a new plug............still no spark.

I swapped the coil out with another one I had laying around.........Still no spark
I unplugged the rectifier.....................It starts right up.

If I plug it back in while its running it stays running..........untill I shut it off, then it wont start again unless I unplug the rectifier again.

Like I said, I just havent had time to get back to it so I thought Id post it up here and you what you guys had to say.

Thanks in advance

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
THis is indicative of a short between two coils in the stator - to fix it must be replaced... OR, you can try one thing - cut the red and white/red wires coming from the stator to the wiring harness. In some cases (depending on which windings are shorted) this eliminates the problem and causes no other issues. If this doesn't work, you need to replace the stator, or unplug the rec/reg everytime you start.

Please report back with your results.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I am still curious about this red wire thing, let us know if that changes anything since i have a couple stators kicking around.......

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THis is indicative of a short between two coils in the stator - to fix it must be replaced... OR, you can try one thing - cut the red and white/red wires coming from the stator to the wiring harness. In some cases (depending on which windings are shorted) this eliminates the problem and causes no other issues. If this doesn't work, you need to replace the stator, or unplug the rec/reg everytime you start.

Please report back with your results.
Thats what I figured, but like I said , I just havent had the time to get back to it.
Once I do , I'll let you know what the deal is.

Thanks

QB

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I am still curious about this red wire thing, let us know if that changes anything since i have a couple stators kicking around.......
As am I... It appears to have worked a couple of times so far, but the numbers are just too low, still, to call it a true fix. I'm waiting to hear on this one. We look forward to your response, QB - when you get a chance to try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts