Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!!!!!

I keep blowing fuses on my 04 660 and have stripped the plastic to look for it.

I ran the bike for an hour, beat on everything with a soft mallet, heated the regulator thinking it may be that, checked every wire were it touched the frame and have come up empty; no "smoking gun"

When the fuse blows all I have to do is replace it and it fires right up and runs again for miles.

I really don't know where to go from here. My only option as I see it is to seperate each circuit with it's own fuse. I have looked at the harness and wiring diagram and know that the brown wire travelling down the frame splits somewhere to each circuit.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone out there knows where this is, as I don't want to totally strip the entire harness the length of the quad.

Also have read lots of "blown fuses" threads but not anything that would stand out.

Comments and or ideas?

Thanks, Floyd.

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Did you check every cable for damage ? maybe a damaged one could touch the ground...
If a fuse blow, I'd think that there would be too much voltage ? so maybe you have a shortcircuit somewhere...

Did you notice if the fuse blown when you rev it very high ? or will it blow just when it iddle ?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Starter switch could be bad. When is it blowing the fuse. When you try starting or just riding.

·
Master of the Electron
15,550 Posts
Under what circumstances does the fuse blow, and what happens when it does? Does the engine quit or do you just notice that the fuse has blown when you try to start it next time?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only notice its blown when i try to start.tried revving hi
gh, no luck. looked oveyr harness real good. charge volts good. using phone so excuse grammar.

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
I only notice its blown when i try to start.tried revving hi
gh, no luck. looked oveyr harness real good. charge volts good. using phone so excuse grammar.
If you only notice it when trying to start, I'd say that it doesn't blow while the engine is running, otherwise it'd stall. If you turn it off by yourself, I believe it blows at this moment... do you use key or kill switch ?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
maybe you could try pulling the plug cap and turning it over....if it doesn't blow then you know its none of the starting equipment....

·
Master of the Electron
15,550 Posts
If you only notice it when trying to start, I'd say that it doesn't blow while the engine is running, otherwise it'd stall. If you turn it off by yourself, I believe it blows at this moment... do you use key or kill switch ?
Not correct - the fuse is between the battery and the regulator, so typically if the fuse blows due to an intermittent short, with engine running, it will continue to run from the voltage supplied by the regulator (you might notice a short hesitation in the engine when the short occurs, though).

Therefore, it's not likely the starting circuit (especially since he can start with a new fuse).

There is a short (probably intermittent) somewhere between the fuse (red) and the switched 12V wires (red/black, brown, red/white). Try all of your accessories with the bike sitting (headlights, brake lights, etc.) to see if you can make the fuse blow... if not, it's got to be either a frayed/chafed/pinched red, red/black, brown or red/white wire that's shorting to frame or a to a black ground wire intermittently... time for a careful look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little more:

Cables:
I have looked at every cable, checked very carefully. Althought there are a few showing wear, none are right through.

Circumstances:
It has happened twice. Both times I was riding for about 20 minutes, went to make a turn and stalled. Now it was not because of the fuse blowing, but because I was trying to turn once, and back up the other time. Both times the bike fired right up after changing the fuse. I though it might be steering related because I was turning left both times; I can't find any relation though.

Starter switch:
I took apart the switch gear on the left handlbar everything looks good. I disconnected the main wire to the starter and activated the start solenoid at least 30 times and even hit it with a screwdriver while doing so; it is operating normally.

Accessories:
I ran the quad for an hour the other night. I taped both brakes on, tapped on the housings, headlights on/off, forward/ reverse, kinked the every harness with my hands, jumped up and down on it, hit every part with a rubber mallet, revved high, and nothing.

Short in the wire harness:
This is where I'm at. Like I noted I have pretty much eleminated a short to the frame. Now it could be in the harness itself. This is where I need to know where the circuits terminate off of the brown wire in the main harness. Somewhere is this bundle each circuit goes its own way. I plan on seperating these to determine which one is at fault.

QM I read in your sticky about the stators grounding and may have to keep this in mind as a possible fault. Untill it quits sparking though I'm sticking with the harness theory.

I just wish the thing would quit all together so at least I can find it.

Thanks for all input, keep it coming.

·
Master of the Electron
15,550 Posts
Stator short won't blow the fuse...

Look carefully by the CDI and in and around the battery box, wires like to get chafed there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts