Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a used Raptor 660 and this bike was missing lots! I have replaced the starter switch,starter relay,battery, lights, and more. My problem is that I can not start with the push button. I have power coming into the relay but none coming out. Any advise would be muchly apprciated!

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
1st, welcome to the forum!

2nd - Does neutral light work? CDI must see that you're in neutral before it will provide 12V to the starter relay coil... the start button pulls the other end of the coil to ground, causing the coil to energize, relay to close, starter to crank.

3rd - Does the reverse light work? If it does, this shows that CDI is getting power. No power to CDI (comes from the run/stop switch) means no power to the start relay coil - no starter crank.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
I added to the post while you were answering - both neutral and reverse lights work?

Do you hear a click from the start relay when you press the start button?

Does the temperature light illuminate while you press the start button?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neutral light works but reverse does not. Also the temperature light does illuminate when the start button is pushed. I hear no click in the start relay.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it? I need you to measure the voltage, relative to battery negative, red/black wire that goes to the CDI, and of the yellow/black wire at the start relay. (both with key switch on, run/stop switch in run, bike in neutral, measure y/b both with clutch pulled and released).

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Just put it on DC volts, 20VDC (or anything above 12) if it has that setting, or auto DCV if not... Make sure black lead is in COM and red lead is in V/Ohm or something close (not A)

You may use a straight pin or safety pin poked into the copper of the wire and touch the red meter lead to this pin.

Put black lead on battery negative and red lead on wire of interest.

Red/black = ?

Yellow/black with clutch released = ?

Yellow/black with clutch pulled = ?

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
60, not 6.0? Should not be above 12.5V or so.

Measure straight across the battery terminals red on +, black in - . What do you see?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My tester has like 3 different readings, ac/v ,db,dc, if i read the av/v it would be 11v black and red an 10v yellow/black. I there a tester you reccomend? if so i wll pick one up tomm and hopefully give you a little beter info

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Okay... then one more -

Yellow/black again - measure while pressing start button - does it stay at 10V or go to near 0V?

Also, please measure straight across the battery and tell me what it is - with and without pushing the start button.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Okay... assuming that the battery stays at 11V when you press the start button (you didn't say):

1st, your battery is a little low, it needs a good charge with a plug in charger.

2nd, your CDI has a bad output, but probably will still work. A quick test is to run a jumper from battery plus to yellow/black wire. The starter should crank from the start button now (assuming the battery has enough charge).

One fix for this problem is connecting a jumper wire from the red/black wire to the yellow/black wire. The drawback to makiing this mod is that the starter button will always start the engine, as long as the run/start button and key are on. I have a better way to fix this, but lets see if just the battery plus to yellow/black wire works first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts