Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Thinking about getting this ones for Precious. ;)

They are self-sagging and the bike will get like 2" lower.

Will the front get lower than the back causing problems? :3question:

Anyone using this shocks? Opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I for one am not a fan of SSD. Yes it will lower your ride, but for it to make it raked towards the front, raked= front end lower. I am not sure of. It does make sense.

Now to why I am not a fan of SSD, I had Elka Shocks on my Warrior and when you got it stuck in mud, you had to pick up your ATV through the SSD, before you even had the ATV up off the ground. Many times you did not have good footing in these area's (mud) and so the SSD makes it tough (at best to get your wheeler) out of the mud by yourself.

Is there a shock that does not have SSD? I am not sure! I think that the i-Shock does not have this option.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
SEVEN00 said:
I for one am not a fan of SSD. Yes it will lower your ride, but for it to make it raked towards the front, raked= front end lower. I am not sure of. It does make sense.

Now to why I am not a fan of SSD, I had Elka Shocks on my Warrior and when you got it stuck in mud, you had to pick up your ATV through the SSD, before you even had the ATV up off the ground. Many times you did not have good footing in these area's (mud) and so the SSD makes it tough (at best to get your wheeler) out of the mud by yourself.

Is there a shock that does not have SSD? I am not sure! I think that the i-Shock does not have this option.
All Elka shocks are not SSD(zero pre-load). You have to ask for that option when you order them. Different aftermarket companies call it different names. Elka happen's to call it SSD(self sagging device), other's just call it their zero pre-load option. As far as i know, ishock,tcs,ohlins,pep etc.... all offer the zero pre-load option which will lower your ride height. This doesn't mean you have to get it though, it's an option.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

Any more opinions?

Still in doubt if self-sagging is a good idea or not... :3question:

Cheers!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unless elka has changed recently, you can't get quad rates for a yamaha. Our shocks are 1 in. shorter than other makes so they don't have the room for 4 springs :thumbsup: I would shy away from the SSD unless you motocross-lowers bike too much ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quad rates will fit Long Travel A-arms. Triple rate for standard travel on the elkas

·
Registered
11 Posts
The SSD or zero pre-load not only lowers the bike to have a better center of gravity which equals much improved handling, but it also helps to smooth out the ride considerably.

If your shocks do not have SSD the bike basically falls into any hole or bump that you encounter because there is no sag in the suspension. If you shocks have SSD, the suspension has room (or sag) to drop into the hole or bump while the bike stays level and stable. Essentially the suspension is asorbing more of the rough trerrain. This makes for a much better ride.

If you want a better handling quad go with the SSD. If your worried about getting your bike out of the mud easier you may want to stay away from this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would not buy those, because that setup does not include rebound adjustment.

Quote From listing:
"2.Elka Quad Rate Piggyback Long Travel shocks with Compression Adjust (does not include rebound adjust)"

Your best bet is to call Elka, let them know what you want, talk to them about where you ride, how you ride and they will quote different shocks for you, then buy them direct, eliminate the middle man, they will valve them for your weight and riding style. Elka shocks are pretty close to the same price everywhere.

The reason that looked like a good deal on E-Bay for Elka Shocks and Long Travel Arms is because it is an entry level shock from Elka. Add the rebound for whoops, probably will add about $200 to the price. Elka shocks are pretty much the same price from everyone, it is the Arms that change the package deal price.

But call Elka they are awesome to deal with and are straight up as well, better then getting advice second hand from us.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good advice there for sure but not aplicable in my case: I'm in Europe and Elka don't reply, telling me to deal with a s****y representative that is not even in my country. That middle man will multiply by 2 the price...

It's not easy to mod a quad in Europe... :( :( :(

As for number of adjustments I'll go with this statment from the Elka web site:

Most people think that more adjustability is always better. This is true for the most part, but only if you know how to use this adjustability properly and are willing to fine-tune your suspension when you need to. Some riders, on the other hand, feel they don’t need many adjustment options because either they don’t race or they almost always ride around the same places.

It’s true that racers will benefit greatly from more adjustment options because they need to adapt their suspension to different racetracks and ever-changing racing conditions. However, intermediate-level racers might not always need the latest technological gizmo as they probably won’t be able to push enough to use it to its fullest potential.

Recreational riders typically use their ATVs in more varied conditions than racers. They will have fun on a track one day and head for the woods the next. The more versatility you expect, the more adjustment options you will need to fully enjoy your ride. But if you usually ride the same kind of terrain, you can get away with less adjustability and save some money.

Cheers!!! ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi men, this time i have the same problem, i live in Europe and looking for roll design suspension kit. I advise you to find a dealer in Europe, because there is no way to avoid the customs and taxes. Anyway atvgalaxy is a very good seller, you can also ask them about your elka questions, i'm going with sport and racing triple rate piggypack longtravel. I have an offer from rmx-racing from Germany, and waiting to reply from atvworld. If you have onother seller please note. I think you have to look very good for your suspension kit, because its one of the most expensieve and important think on your quad :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.