Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally have them on and dialed in. Full set of Elites set up for 160 pound rider for Cross Country racing. People who sing the praises of these aftermarket shocks weren't kidding. The ride is plush and soaks up just about any bump or rock up to and including the size of a basket ball! I was runing a trail behind my house at speed and tagged this rock I SWEAR would have flipped me, but the Elks just ate it up. I was completely amazed. My rappy handles like a completely different bike! This has piqued my curiosity now. I'm VERY interested in trying the Fox Evols, Axis, Pep's, Ohlins, ect. If I only had the money, it would be very interesting to see how each of these companies products would perform versus the Elkas. Anyway here are some pics of my bike.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phyto said:
did you get a longer rear axle?
No, that's a stock rear axle. I'll get an axle and all the ancillary goodies when I snap this one!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looks good :thumbsup: ....Where'd ya pick 'em up at?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deja_Entendu700 said:
Looks good :thumbsup: ....Where'd ya pick 'em up at?
Thanks for the compliments fellas! Ebay, orignally as Dune Editions, All three for $1100. Elka upgraded to Elites and revalved them for XC for around 500 for all three. Since I'm using stock A arms and swingarm, I made sure they built them up with zero preload dual rate spring sets. The shocks were pristine when I received them from the seller on ebay and came back in even better shape from Elka. In my opinion, even if you're not on a budget, this is the way to go. Once you send them back to Elka to be revalved, serviced, ect. it's like getting a brand new set of shocks.

Frank

·
Registered
352 Posts
Qwick question, Are you still running stock a-arms with the elka setup.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Is it just me, or does it look like your ride height in the front end is really low. Looks like you have about an inch of stroke left sitting idle, before you are hitting the bottom out absorber?

Anyway, looks nice....just wondering about the height and remaining stroke. Looks like you have a LOT of negative travel! They almost look like they were for a yfz and set up for a yfz.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
135boom said:
Is it just me, or does it look like your ride height in the front end is really low. Looks like you have about an inch of stroke left sitting idle, before you are hitting the bottom out absorber?

Anyway, looks nice....just wondering about the height and remaining stroke. Looks like you have a LOT of negative travel! They almost look like they were for a yfz and set up for a yfz.
Boom,

It's just the way it sits. I'm running on 9" on the front and 8.5 in the rear with me on it and all my gear. When you're running the front end picks up and gives you back the travel. I was hitting some heavy duty jumps and bumping nice size rocks and stumps on some trails and I didn't notice any bottoming out or packing up. Keep in mind, I have a self sagging/ zero preload device. I wanted the bike low to minimize body roll.

Beezenuts,

Yes it is the stock A arms and swinger.

Thanks for the input guys!

Frank

·
Registered
211 Posts
looks awsome another person who ponied up the $ and now understands what all the fuss is about! :grin_nod: your next mod should be an axle :thumbsup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikes#04 said:
looks awsome another person who ponied up the $ and now understands what all the fuss is about! :grin_nod: your next mod should be an axle :thumbsup:
Thanks man! Actually, a +1 rear axle and Hardkore hubs will be installed, but not until after the New Year. In the interim, I'm looking at converting to a Hydraulic Clutch, SS brake lines and new rotors.

·
Registered
683 Posts
so!
when are we going to get that bad boy DIRTY :)
looken sweeth there frank..
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hippy said:
so!
when are we going to get that bad boy DIRTY :)
looken sweeth there frank..
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Second week in December sound good? :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts