Raptor Forum banner

Barkers or Empire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 700r looking at putting the big 3 (barkers/empire/FCI/PC5) on this winter and down to two options (links provided below)

If you had the choice between Empire or Barkers which would you go with and why? Do the Empires provide better numbers that justify the $200 difference in price?

Just looking for any insight, thanks.

Barkers ($1420): Yamaha Raptor 700 Dual Exhaust System / PC5 / FCI Big 3 Package for 20 – Barker's Performance (barkersexhaust.com)

Empire ($1608): Empire Industries Yamaha Raptor 700 2006-2014 Dual Exhaust Big 3 Power Package With Air Box - Empire Industries Inc

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I have a 07 700r looking at putting the big 3 (barkers/empire/FCI/PC5) on this winter and down to two options (links provided below)

If you had the choice between Empire or Barkers which would you go with and why? Do the Empires provide better numbers that justify the $200 difference in price?

Barkers ($1420): Yamaha Raptor 700 Dual Exhaust System / PC5 / FCI Big 3 Package for 20 – Barker's Performance (barkersexhaust.com)

Empire ($1608): Empire Industries Yamaha Raptor 700 2006-2014 Dual Exhaust Big 3 Power Package With Air Box - Empire Industries Inc

You're stuck between two good exhaust systems for the 06-04 model Raptor. The Empire shorties are head turner, and the Barker duals were the benchmark. I ran a Barker with and without a quiet core for 2-3 years without one failure. They're both solid options and you really can't go wrong with either setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Barkers duals and love them. Empire has/had a problem with having to remove the speed sensor due to the left pipe hitting the sensor which threw ecu error codes which in turn killed the engine power. People were just zip tying the removed sensor somewhere but after a while they always threw codes again. The only fix was to remove the exhaust and plug the sensor back in for a while to clear the codes and then remove the sensor again and then reinstall the exhaust. One guy I talked to said it would last about 1-2 hours of riding before it threw codes again and he would have to do the whole removal thing all over again. Huge pain in the behind. I’m not sure if they still have that problem or not but I would definitely find out before you buy them. Empire may have changed how they run the pipe so it’s no longer a problem. The Barkers route the piping so there is plenty of clearance around the speed sensor so that’s not an issue. Both exhausts sound great. As for looks, it’s all personal preference. I prefer the look of Barkers but the Empires look good too. When riding with the guy with empire Duals I noticed the empires are noticeably louder than my barkers but they both had about the same deep tone. That could be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you like your pipes. One other small thing is that the Barkers come with 2 heat shields for the header pipe that replace the stock ones. The empire’s dont come with any heat shields so you’ll need to find something aftermarket so you aren’t roasting your right leg and burning pants. That pipe gets extremely hot. However you decide, happy modding!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I have the Barkers duals and love them. Empire has/had a problem with having to remove the speed sensor due to the left pipe hitting the sensor which threw ecu error codes which in turn killed the engine power. People were just zip tying the removed sensor somewhere but after a while they always threw codes again. The only fix was to remove the exhaust and plug the sensor back in for a while to clear the codes and then remove the sensor again and then reinstall the exhaust. One guy I talked to said it would last about 1-2 hours of riding before it threw codes again and he would have to do the whole removal thing all over again. Huge pain in the behind. I’m not sure if they still have that problem or not but I would definitely find out before you buy them. Empire may have changed how they run the pipe so it’s no longer a problem. The Barkers route the piping so there is plenty of clearance around the speed sensor so that’s not an issue. Both exhausts sound great. As for looks, it’s all personal preference. I prefer the look of Barkers but the Empires look good too. When riding with the guy with empire Duals I noticed the empires are noticeably louder than my barkers but they both had about the same deep tone. That could be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you like your pipes. One other small thing is that the Barkers come with 2 heat shields for the header pipe that replace the stock ones. The empire’s dont come with any heat shields so you’ll need to find something aftermarket so you aren’t roasting your right leg and burning pants. That pipe gets extremely hot. However you decide, happy modding!
Speed sensor is a non-issue on 06-14 models.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Between those 2, the empire selection looked to have an air box which would up the cost some as well as hurt power and increase install difficulty
Barkers packing doesn’t tend to last all that long.
Just pick which you like the looks of better. For just a big 3 setup, you aren’t going to notice any minute power differences.
If you plan on getting into the motor down the road, I would suggest monster big bore duals over either of these.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Both are great! As others have said, you can't go wrong with either. I custom designed my Barkers to be all black with a red name plate to match my quad. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Between those 2, the empire selection looked to have an air box which would up the cost some as well as hurt power and increase install difficulty
Barkers packing doesn’t tend to last all that long.
Just pick which you like the looks of better. For just a big 3 setup, you aren’t going to notice any minute power differences.
If you plan on getting into the motor down the road, I would suggest monster big bore duals over either of these.
I ran a Barker with and without a quiet core and never had a packing issue. I had over 200 hours on that setup before the hour meter died.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts