Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I need some help here. My bike is raptor 700 2015 with Big 3 mods, PCV with timing and Autotune. My bike it start running weird with some hesitation. I attached some photos of my spark plug, I think it looks fine. Its the factory plug and it have about 100hours of use. I tried many times to upload a video here showing the issue, but It fails any time, so, I add a facebook link where I posted my video, please see the video and look on the RPM on the Trialtech Gauge, I stick the throttle steady and the RPM step down and up. Any clue what can it be the issue? Bad spark plug? bad fuel? bad fuel pump? (the bike start with no issue allways, no matter the outside or engine temp) Bad fuel mal? bad ignition map? Im confused.
Facebook link of the video:

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its like the fuel inyection have micro cuts (a fraction of a second), and when I push the throttle It dont accel smooth, you can feel the loose of power and Its crearly noticeable in the RPM gauge, It drops suddenly the RPM and then step up again. It happends in mid RPM about 5000 and on full throttle too like 7000-7500 rpm. Can in be a bad spark plug? some grime in the Fuel filter?
I dont think the throttle position sensor is bad because In the powercommander I have good reading of the TPS from 0 to 100%. The fuel pump not prime every time I move the red key to start the bike but the bike Allways start with no issue, easily. Some time ago, the fuel light dont work when I have low fuel in the fuel tank. I dont know it its helps in the diagnosis or not.
Try this Youtube video if it works for you to see the issue in my bike.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would put a new plug in it first. It sounds like an electrical issue. I have seen a bad electrical connection or bad ground do the same thing. Will run good at steady throttle but break up under engine load.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Mr. 418Stroker, I want to thank you very much to involve in my issue and try to find a diagnosis and a solution for it, I really appreciate that! I want to tell you the problem was just the spark plug, I replace it for a new one, and Its runs perfect, even stronger than before! :) In case you wanna know, I put the spark plug NGK "CR9EKPA" Laser Platinum its recommended by Mr. Cuervo Racing for BIKES 2015+. Highly recommended! easy a cheap upgrade, I can feel it runs better than before the issue for sure. Well, thats all, I hope this can help someone in the future. Have a great wekeend, have fun and be safe! Thank you again I feel very gratefull.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Glad it was a simple fix for you. In a stock or mild engine all you need is an 8 heat range plug. The 9 is one step cooler range plug. The only negative is it may foul sooner than an 8 would. Wish I could run mine on the roads, not legal in my state.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad it was a simple fix for you. In a stock or mild engine all you need is an 8 heat range plug. The 9 is one step cooler range plug. The only negative is it may foul sooner than an 8 would. Wish I could run mine on the roads, not legal in my state.
Its not legal here neither, buy I needed to autotune my bike, so nothing better than a road to do it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, my bike start to do the same issue, same hesitation in my second ride. The first ride with the new spark plug was great, but on the second time I rode the bike, the issue come back. On my 3rd ride the engine suddenly shutdown. I cleaned with contact cleaner the connections from the battery and the coil, also the spark plug wire. I put the ignition table to zero and try different maps, and the hesitation its still there. Any help to figure out where is the problem will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Try a standard plug that is an 8 heat range. I order them through my local car parts store for $3 each. The 9 is for high compression builds or high rpm operation. Post a picture of your current fuel table.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try a standard plug that is an 8 heat range. I order them through my local car parts store for $3 each. The 9 is for high compression builds or high rpm operation. Post a picture of your current fuel table.
This is my current PCV Map. I also try with the ignition table in zero and the issue persist.
I will try the standard spark plug and I will let you know if it fix it. Not sure If I can find it in my town, in that case I will need to order it and wait until it arrives.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it was created by Autotune from a close map. I use the speed limiter to run the bike in all gears and in all throttle percentage columns, from 2% to 100% time enough to see the Air/Fuel ratio its steady 13.2. I describe this process to Dynojet and they said its a good way to get accurate readings. BUT, in DynoJet Youtube Channel it said 2% a 5% throttle columns Autotune should be off because of the reversion of the exhaust. I didnt know that until I already Autotune my Bike so maybe its rich in 2% and 5% column. I tried to lean about 5% in off idle in 2 and 5% column from 1500 to 2250 rpm and I feel the bike run leanner, and it runs hotter too. What you think about the Ignition Map? This is how it looks my current spark plug (the NGK "CR9EKPA" Laser Platinum) it have about 100km of use:

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
The ignition timing is not the issue. Try 12 in the 0% column from 1500-2500 rpm and 13-16 in the 2% column from 1500-2500. Look on YouTube under Curveo Racing's videos he has a few about fuel mapping. I used one of his maps and adjusted it a little in the 0-2% column for my riding style and it works great. I use the accelerator circuit function in the PCV to get good throttle response.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just want to update the issue, after hard time trying to find the problem, I dont know if its common issue or not, but maybe someone can have same issue in maybe this can help him. it was the the small spring of the ignition button, the red one in the left side of the handlebar. It was rusty and did not put enough pressure to achieve correct contact So, whith the vibration of the engine, it moves and it makes little microcuts to the spark plug energy. I replaced the spring and the bike its running very strong with zero issues. Im very very happy! Thank you again, you are allways there to help others, God bless you!
By the way, can you detail more how you use the acceleration funtion on the PCV? I think It will be great for all the community. Thank you very much again!

·
Registered
323 Posts
You have to enable it in the PCV. There are 3 adjustments for it. 1. What throttle setting does it activate, mine is at 1% 2. Fuel increase, mine is at 8% 3. Duration of additional fuel, mine is at 20 revolutions. Settings will vary by your current map, build and riding style. I can be in 4th gear at around 2000rpm and go to full throttle with no hesitation.
I use 3rd gear most of the time when racing and needed perfect response from idle and up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts