Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got word that I’ll need a rebuild from the crankshaft up. The engine hasn’t been taken apart, but that’s what two different yamaha dealers agreed on, and I definitely trust one. I cant spend $3k on just an engine. Are there any good kits I can use for a complete rebuild? Are there any credible sites to buy a new engine? Im looking for the most effective way to not need any engine work for a long time while not basically paying for another raptor.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
So I got word that I’ll need a rebuild from the crankshaft up. The engine hasn’t been taken apart, but that’s what two different yamaha dealers agreed on, and I definitely trust one. I cant spend $3k on just an engine. Are there any good kits I can use for a complete rebuild? Are there any credible sites to buy a new engine? Im looking for the most effective way to not need any engine work for a long time while not basically paying for another raptor.
You could save money by not replacing the oil pump, inner case bearings, valves, springs, cutting the valve seats, replating the cylinder, etc but then those areas become the new weak points. So, its recommended to replace everything. You dont want to spend your hard earned money fixing it just to have it drop a valve and kill it again. The kits are generally the cheapest way to go but they are filled with subpar generic parts. They will work but not last as long as investing in quality parts. Ultimately, you have to decide how much money your ready to spend. Then we will happily help you spend it!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: DEZPERADO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4, I am going to remove the motor tomorrow morning and take it to the dealer to pull it apart. They're going to tell me exactly what I need. Im hoping that everything is in the top half. If so, Im just going to get a top rebuild kit from the dealer and most likely do it myself. If its a bottom build issue then thats a different story.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
You can save money by using a Chinese cylinder, they just require extra attention. Do not cheap out on the crank or piston. Use oem bearings/seals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, I need a full engine rebuild. Probably going to cost me $2k. I was going to ask them to just do the bottom end while I did the top end but apparently I dont have the proper tools. Does anybody know of a complete engine rebuild kit that has EVERY part needed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts