Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone give me some advice please.I have a 04 660 raptor which has a poorly engine in need of a new conrod,piston and head.I have been looking at different forums and posts and cant decide which route to take.I want reliablity but also want a bit of grunt.I also dont want to spend mega money as my wife will probably leave me.I will be using it for on and off road.Any advice would be of great help thanks julian.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
For what it's going to cost you, you should be able to find a complete running stock 660 motor to just drop in. Sell off the cases and miscellaneous bottom end parts from your existing motor and that'd be the cheapest option.

Cheap: Hotrods oem replacement crank, sub 102mm 9.9:1 wiseco or the cheap JE model, stock top end with a stage 1 cam.

Less cheap stock stroke: Hotrods oem replacement crank, 101-102mm 11:1 piston, HD valve springs, stage 2 hotcam.

Cheap stroker: Hotrods 719/720 kit, HD valve springs, Stage 3 Hotcam

A good pipe will help with these, but if you're already running a full aftermarket system then the money is better spent where you need it, in the engine. Next step on the latter 2 builds would be porting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
engine rebuild

Thanks for the advice.My only worry about buying a 2nd hand engine is that you dont know what condition its in,could be a bit of a gamble.At least if i rebuild then i know it should be good.Ive been looking at hotrod cranks and have heard mixed views about them.Some say there really good and some say there not very strong.What is youre opinion on them please,thanks julian.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Thanks for the advice.My only worry about buying a 2nd hand engine is that you dont know what condition its in,could be a bit of a gamble.At least if i rebuild then i know it should be good.Ive been looking at hotrod cranks and have heard mixed views about them.Some say there really good and some say there not very strong.What is youre opinion on them please,thanks julian.
The HR cranks are fine. There have been alot breaking on here but there are a few that have held up for many years. I myself broke 1 and think the one in my motor now is broke but I think that was due to piston failure. A HR crank and a 11:1 and stage 2 seems to be a popular setup.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
The hotrods +4mm stroker cranks have had some issues, a small percentage but it isn't insignificant. The stock stroke replacement cranks have had no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
MD what would be a ballpark HP for the 3rd build with an after market pipe?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
So there would be no hope of hitting 65 without head work?

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I haven't seen it happen without some kind of porting, not to say it can't but I don't know how you'd get there. From what I've seen from other people's builds it seems like most of the time the stock head tops out around 60.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Hi, can anyone give me some advice please.I have a 04 660 raptor which has a poorly engine in need of a new conrod,piston and head.I have been looking at different forums and posts and cant decide which route to take.I want reliablity but also want a bit of grunt.I also dont want to spend mega money as my wife will probably leave me.I will be using it for on and off road.Any advice would be of great help thanks julian.
If you are building a dual purpose bike and want a wide power band then I would only clean up the ports, don't do anything drastic on them, drop in an 11:1 piston, a stage 2 cam and heavy springs. You'll love that set up for highway and off road both and you'll have plenty of "Grunt". If you start porting for High volume then you're changing the dynamics of what that motor will do for you...It'll be a screamer! but the low end tends to be less than desirable. You can semi-correct that with low gearing, but you said you want to run it on the street too. Anyway, Good luck with the rebuild.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
on the 3rd build is that with a stock compression piston and stock rod? i assume if a higher comp piston was added then it wouldnt be advised to not run the stock rod right? thats the build im saving for and should have the funds soon

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
You mean the "less cheap, stock stroke" build? I was counting that as #2, with the stroker as #3.

On the stock rod the most I personally would feel comfortable going is a pump gas piston (11:1 or lower) and a stage 2 hotcam on a stock or cleaned up head and stock carbs. Others will say it's good up to a certain hp or compression, others have run 105mm pistons and nitrous on stock rods without a problem, while some have seen the rod fail on bone stock motors. I can't guarantee much of anything, all I can say is what I personally would feel comfortable running.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
i was referring to the "cheap stroker build"

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
seems like the vitos 719 kit would be the way to go?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
All these opinions are good. Your assesment of getting a used engine is correct also. Most need a rebuild. I build a stage 2 engine that consists of a stock Hotrod crank, Weisco 20 over (686) 11-1 piston. HR-2 cam, kibble white springs and ss valves, light port of the head and 12 tooth drive sproket. This engine does very well with out going crazy. Good low end grunt and very fast. The head does not need to be ported with this build. Your carb jets should be changed too along with aftermarket pipe. Anything you build is going to cost more money than your wife will like. Ty to source parts on e-bay or our vendors. Let us know what you are looking for. Lts of the members have spare parts. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Well you can get a 720 stroker kit for the 660 for 895 from vitos. It has the barker 4mil crank, piston(Pump gas or race gas) Stage 3 cam, Valve springs, gaskets and a jet kit. Not a bad price IMO and all good quality parts. I'm sure you could get a few piston choices(101mm,101.5mm) if you call them and try to make a deal then you leave room to freshen up the motor in the future. Don't know if they would do it but they might.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts