Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So pretty much i decided to post this fix because I have had this flashing "r" light happened to me and i spent hours looking for a fix. Even though there are many topics on this, there isnt a direct fix that someone has posted (that i could find). Even when reading
RPM limiters - Most 660s have three RPM limiters – Max RPM (which will not be dealt with here), Reverse RPM and Parking Brake (PB) RPM limiters. If either the reverse or the PB electrical circuits fail, these limiters will be invoked by the CDI and the engine will cough, spit, backfire, even die sometimes when the throttle is just barely applied.

Reverse limiter – The engine has a reverse switch, a small, circular 1 pin switch in the engine case just under the output sprocket. The switch button, which extends into the case, is depressed by the reverse gear moving into its operating position. This switch is normally closed (shorted to ground) EXCEPT when the bike is in reverse. A wire, GREEN with WHITE STRIPE leads from this switch up to the CDI.
So pretty much this post is just to try to help people how to fix this problem since I've encountered the problem and fixed it without taking it to the shop. so here it goes.

The following steps are takin on a 2005 Yamaha Raptor 660
This isnt a sure way to fix your flashing reverse light but should if:

Once you start up your raptor:
1. engine begins to rev high for being in neutrol
2. about when the engine revs up the "r"(Reverse light) flashes steadily on and off roughly 1 sec on 1 sec off.

If this is not the case for your quad chances are the following will not fix it.

But first locate your rev limiter. Mine is located on the left side Pic below

Once you located it there is a screw heading into the side of it. Turn it counter-clockwise until the engine idles as if in gear(well a bit louder)<pic below>

And thats it. Like i said only reason for this post is to help others who were in my position searching for hours and just finding guesstimates on whats wrong. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ive seen this happen but i didnt have the high rev symptoms. Didnt have anything.

But looks like your lowering the idle knob down some from a high idle.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So pretty much i decided to post this fix because I have had this flashing "r" light happened to me and i spent hours looking for a fix. Even though there are many topics on this, there isnt a direct fix that someone has posted (that i could find). Even when reading

So pretty much this post is just to try to help people how to fix this problem since I've encountered the problem and fixed it without taking it to the shop. so here it goes.

The following steps are takin on a 2005 Yamaha Raptor 660
This isnt a sure way to fix your flashing reverse light but should if:

Once you start up your raptor:
1. engine begins to rev high for being in neutrol
2. about when the engine revs up the "r"(Reverse light) flashes steadily on and off roughly 1 sec on 1 sec off.

If this is not the case for your quad chances are the following will not fix it.

But first locate your rev limiter. Mine is located on the left side Pic below

Once you located it there is a screw heading into the side of it. Turn it counter-clockwise until the engine idles as if in gear(well a bit louder)<pic below>

And thats it. Like i said only reason for this post is to help others who were in my position searching for hours and just finding guesstimates on whats wrong. Hope this helps.

What you are describing here is how to adjust your idle speed, if your idle speed is too high and the bike is in neutral, your reverse light will start to flash, so by lowering the idle speed by adjusting the screw you show in your pictures, it should stop the reverse light from flashing......
You may also have a high idle speed being caused by other possibilities such as a lean idle circuit.....................

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
This has nothing to do with the REV LIMITERS as described in my sticky or in the perhaps thousands of posts on this forum about problems with rev limiters... they exist as software (actually firmware) running in the CDI's computer.

What you have shown is simply the Idle Speed adjusting screw... you turn this clockwise to increase idle speed and counter-clockwise to reduce idle speed.

WHen idle speed in neutral is too high for too long the computer in the CDI notices this, and flashes the R light to warn you - Why, you ask? With idle speed too high and bike not moving through the air, the radiator may not be able to fully cool the coolant, with overheat ensuing if it goes on for too long.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Hey guys.
Thanks for this info. Just had this happening on my bike.
I have had water pump issues & had just fitted a replacement.
Was running it up in the garage to check for leaks & the R light started flashing as described.
Guess its time to lower the idle a bit

Regards

D

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
Was running it up in the garage to check for leaks & the R light started flashing as described.
Guess its time to lower the idle a bit

Regards

D
"Running it up" will cause the light to flash... does it do so when the engine is just running at idle for long periods? If not, you have nothing to adjust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts