Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I got a 03 660. Has low hours on it. Had stock tires still with half tread when I got it.

Anyways, the one way started slipping here and there. So I installed a L&A One way and a brand new 52t gear because my old one was galled up. The bolts that hold it on were still in tact.

So I replaced that and I started it up and it had a tick that it didnt have before. I took it out riding 2 times since then. The noise is sometimes louder and sometimes quieter. I heard it back coming out of the exhaust almost, but definitely on the clutch side of the motor, down by the trans.

I was reading around about ticks on the forum. So I checked the valves, adjusted them. Intake was tight, couldnt fit even a .002 in it. Exhaust was just a tad loose. Adjusted both to specs. I made sure I was on the decompression stroke. All good with that.

Started it up, same noise. So then I did the cam chain tensioner. I followed the advice on the forum. Took the spring out first then the adjust. Was about 1/3" out. So it had plenty of clicks left.

I also read that some people have had the primary drive gear on the other side of the crank come loose? This is my last guess.

I know when we tightened the flywheel back up, we put the motor in gear, put the brakes on, and used a strap wrench on the flywheel. At some point in the tightening process it seemed like something slipped some, but the tires never moved. I'm wondering if maybe that nut loosed up on the drive gear? But according to the service manual it has a tabbed washer to stop it from coming undone Because the noise is on the clutch side. Maybe even trans. You can only hear it during low idle. In gear or neutral, even in gear with the some clutch drag pulling the engine rpms down to take the play out of things. Still does it.

Any ideas? It was defenitely after the one way install. Top end sounds quiet, so does the flywheel side. Runs great though. And I did check the skid plate bolts, they were loose at one point, but they are tight now and still makes the noise.

Almost sounds like you can hear it in the exhaust pipe, tinking, thats why I thought valves.

·
VIP
1,070 Posts
If the noise is on the clutch side, you would have not touched anything on that side while changing the one way gear, so I would check the exhaust heat shields to see if they are vibrating. Even if the bolts are tight, it's possible that the high temp gaskets behind the heat shield have worn out causing the shield to vibrate.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey guys. I got a 03 660. Has low hours on it. Had stock tires still with half tread when I got it.

Anyways, the one way started slipping here and there. So I installed a L&A One way and a brand new 52t gear because my old one was galled up. The bolts that hold it on were still in tact.

So I replaced that and I started it up and it had a tick that it didnt have before. I took it out riding 2 times since then. The noise is sometimes louder and sometimes quieter. I heard it back coming out of the exhaust almost, but definitely on the clutch side of the motor, down by the trans.

I was reading around about ticks on the forum. So I checked the valves, adjusted them. Intake was tight, couldnt fit even a .002 in it. Exhaust was just a tad loose. Adjusted both to specs. I made sure I was on the decompression stroke. All good with that.

Started it up, same noise. So then I did the cam chain tensioner. I followed the advice on the forum. Took the spring out first then the adjust. Was about 1/3" out. So it had plenty of clicks left.

I also read that some people have had the primary drive gear on the other side of the crank come loose? This is my last guess.

I know when we tightened the flywheel back up, we put the motor in gear, put the brakes on, and used a strap wrench on the flywheel. At some point in the tightening process it seemed like something slipped some, but the tires never moved. I'm wondering if maybe that nut loosed up on the drive gear? But according to the service manual it has a tabbed washer to stop it from coming undone Because the noise is on the clutch side. Maybe even trans. You can only hear it during low idle. In gear or neutral, even in gear with the some clutch drag pulling the engine rpms down to take the play out of things. Still does it.

Any ideas? It was defenitely after the one way install. Top end sounds quiet, so does the flywheel side. Runs great though. And I did check the skid plate bolts, they were loose at one point, but they are tight now and still makes the noise.

Almost sounds like you can hear it in the exhaust pipe, tinking, thats why I thought valves.
I have had this happen a couple times, it isnt really that the nut coming loose that causes the problem but that the key holding the gear to the shaft becomes loose in the keyway allowing the gear to rock back and forth on the crankshaft. This is most noticeable at lower rpms and under no load, once you load down the engine the noise should disappear.
You can remove the clutch cover and see if this nut is loose, should it be loose, you should remove the gear and keyway and either get a new one or do as I have done and bend the key slightly so when it is installed in the keyway, it sits in tight, I also Red Loctite the keyway and nut.............

·
Registered
435 Posts
i always heard that yamahas are known for a tick...even in there crotch rockets.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So possibly as we applied the torque to the flywheel nut, the key way on the drive gear could have adjusted, or squished some so that that now the gear is loose on the keyway allowing it to rock back and forth?

So no harm? Or should I take the clutch cover off. Seems like a bigger project than the left side cover. Seems I would have to remove some oil lines.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So possibly as we applied the torque to the flywheel nut, the key way on the drive gear could have adjusted, or squished some so that that now the gear is loose on the keyway allowing it to rock back and forth?

So no harm? Or should I take the clutch cover off. Seems like a bigger project than the left side cover. Seems I would have to remove some oil lines.
I doubt very much if you squashed the key by turning the flywheel and or nut, it was probalby loose in the first place, I would recommend you check the gear to see if it is loose..........

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys wont believe this. I was about to give up. Was putting it back in the storage spot. Had it running. Was looking around the back of the quad. Just happened to look up and seen the spark arrestor pulsing inside the tip. It was going back and forth with the exhaust pulses and echoing all the way back up to the front of the motor. Now shes whisper quiet. No noises.

I cant believe how I missed that. I must of put on my quiet tip when I did the one way and thats how it started at the same time.

Thankx guys. LOL

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
You nearly had it when you said it almost sounded back at the exhaust - amazing how the simplest things can elude detection. A good excuse to get a mechanics stethoscope!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude, we used a screwdriver as a stethoscope on the engine case. It sounded so much like it was in the trans. Just echoed down into the header. Weird. So happy its figured out though. I love my rappy and just got that one way done and would hate to have to take the clutch cover off.

But I got the valves done and out of the way, so now all the maintenance is done. Ready to ride.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Great. Now it's time to ride and have the fun you expected!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Congrats!!!!!!!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Dude, we used a screwdriver as a stethoscope on the engine case. It sounded so much like it was in the trans. Just echoed down into the header. Weird. So happy its figured out though. I love my rappy and just got that one way done and would hate to have to take the clutch cover off.

But I got the valves done and out of the way, so now all the maintenance is done. Ready to ride.
Great...............:D :D :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts