Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a ESR in-line temp gauge on my quad to monitor temp a little closer and notice the gauge is like 60 degs off. I have let it set running and it got to 200 degs and with me temp gun checked the water neck and its saying 140 and the top of the rad. is saying about the same. No where can I get 200 degs that the gauge is reading. But if its cooled off hasnt been running it will read ambient temp pretty close. I thinking I got a bad gauge what do you guys think? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
You are reading the outside of the metal/hoses, not the temperature of the coolant. The gauge is reading the actual coolant temperature as it passes over the internals of the gauge.

I would call ESR, explain to them what you are seeing and see if they have an explanation for it or if they agree that it is indeed malfunctioning.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Temp guns also don't register correctly on shiney surfaces. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Submerge the temp sensor portion into a pot of boiling water and see what it says. That'll tell you pretty quick if it's accurate or not.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The outer surface of the radiator is NOT the coolant temp. Like Sprinter said, put it into boiling water and it should read about 212F.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Temp guns also don't register correctly on shiney surfaces. Keep that in mind.

Exactly...reflective surfaces wont radiate heat well, which is what IR temp guns read/measure. Put a piece of black electrical tape on the surface and try it again, that has an emissivity of around 98%, so that will give you a more accurate reading than going off of the bare metal. But also like MD said, you aren't reading the actual coolant temperature like you are with the gauge, only the heat that is radiating off of the surface you are measuring from. It may be close depending on the conductivity of the material, but not exact.

But, none of this may matter, your gauge could actually be off :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts