Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, here is my problem:

Was out on a ride a few weeks back and thought that I broke a sprocket tooth. Turns out I had an exhaust valve fall thru.

Took to the bike to the shop (same one that did all my original engine work and has always done me well on workmanship and price) and they are the ones that found the damage. My bike is 686, 11:1, stage 2 cam, stock bottom end. The rest of my bike is in great shape and I've always babied it when it comes to cleaning and maint.
The shop called me up today and wants $2700 for parts and labor specifying the following:
New head from yamaha ($800 unless I can supply them with a good used head) new piston and ring kit from Wiseco, all the top end stuff to put it back together using the cam I had since its undamaged, same cylinder since it managed to stay fine, but also new crank and some bottom end stuff. I haven't seen it myself yet, but they seem to be leary about using the same bottom end, not necessarily stating that it was damaged.
So now I'm torn... I can buy a whole used bike for $2500-3000. But don't necessarily know if I want to sell or part mine so that I can buy someone elses abused 8 year old bike.
Any advice or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I would part yours out and buy a 700. 2700 is way to much to put in the motor. You can buy complete motors for less hen 1000. You could probably build yours cheaper then they are quoting. The rod may be damaged because the valve hitting it. I would look at upgrading to a different quad aka 700 raptor, you won't be sorry.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey everyone, here is my problem:

Was out on a ride a few weeks back and thought that I broke a sprocket tooth. Turns out I had an exhaust valve fall thru.

Took to the bike to the shop (same one that did all my original engine work and has always done me well on workmanship and price) and they are the ones that found the damage. My bike is 686, 11:1, stage 2 cam, stock bottom end. The rest of my bike is in great shape and I've always babied it when it comes to cleaning and maint.
The shop called me up today and wants $2700 for parts and labor specifying the following:
New head from yamaha ($800 unless I can supply them with a good used head) new piston and ring kit from Wiseco, all the top end stuff to put it back together using the cam I had since its undamaged, same cylinder since it managed to stay fine, but also new crank and some bottom end stuff. I haven't seen it myself yet, but they seem to be leary about using the same bottom end, not necessarily stating that it was damaged.
So now I'm torn... I can buy a whole used bike for $2500-3000. But don't necessarily know if I want to sell or part mine so that I can buy someone elses abused 8 year old bike.
Any advice or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
Tell them to change the rod, I've done more then that to a crank, and it is till turning, dont make me put up the pictures...........

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Tell them to change the rod, I've done more then that to a crank, and it is till turning, dont make me put up the pictures...........
PLEASE DON'T! I'm sick for days after you show those pics Willy!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
If the top end of the engine is trashed and they want to swap out bottom end parts I'd probably just buy a complete used running engine for a third of that cost and drop it in.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
And one more....................a wasted three plugger at that.............

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I hate you...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I dropped a 2 valves on my 660 as well...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
LOL willy, was the wrench inside the engine too? :p

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
at this point I'm leaning more towards just parting the thing since the rest of it is really nice. I may have a list on here soon with some pics

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok I picked it up. Here is the Carnage:
Two of the intakes were on the verge of comming off once the valve head started bouncing around in there. There is one hole in the top of the piston where it almost made it thru the first time, then you can see that it was about to go thru but maybe hit the pin and is permanently imbedded where it's at now. Looks like a clean break at the stem and the only valve that isn't bent is the one that broke. Top side looks just fine and it was running like a top prior to failure. We are looking back into our records to see if these were the stock valves or Kibble Whites. The middle intake valve is bent out so far it even busted the guide inside the port. Can't believe it held on, but I'm assuming the damage would have been much worse if I wasn't at only maybe 2-3k RPM when it happened.

Attachments

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
There's a guy, right now, selling his running engine for $400 - have you PM'd him yet?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok I picked it up. Here is the Carnage:
Two of the intakes were on the verge of comming off once the valve head started bouncing around in there. There is one hole in the top of the piston where it almost made it thru the first time, then you can see that it was about to go thru but maybe hit the pin and is permanently imbedded where it's at now. Looks like a clean break at the stem and the only valve that isn't bent is the one that broke. Top side looks just fine and it was running like a top prior to failure. We are looking back into our records to see if these were the stock valves or Kibble Whites. The middle intake valve is bent out so far it even busted the guide inside the port. Can't believe it held on, but I'm assuming the damage would have been much worse if I wasn't at only maybe 2-3k RPM when it happened.
If the valves have numbers on the head, usually three digits, then you most likely have stock yamaha valves. The valve I had break on my engine was a Kibble White. It had about 30 minutes of run time when it broke. We called the company Kibble White and they offered to replace the valve that broke, but nothing extra..........
My engine was turning over at 8000+ when the valve broke, the head was destroyed and so was a brand new rod and cylinder. All with 30 minutes of run time.
Since then I have only used Ferrea valves..............:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts