Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure......its a formula......that should be fairly accurate.
as with anything, garbage in and garbage out. Are your tires a true 20" or are they 20.50"....things like that.

Mike

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
So Cool :thumbsup: This will be fun to mess with!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hey Mike, this is a very nice one....give a lot of details. Thanks!

Here is the other one that I have always used on here.....someone from this forum made it.

http://jandjcreativedesign.com/sprocket.php

not quite as nice, but still gets her done if for some reason your on a work computer and cant download a gearing calculator onto it.

OH, and YES.....these things are accurate, as long as you put in accurate info. Its basic math, and you cant argue it.
What most people screw up on though is tire size. Just because your tire says its 20, doesnt mean its 20 inch's tall.
ITP HD's for example are the size of a lot of 22's.....they measure out at approx 21 inches new, and they are listed as 20's.
ITP XCR's are listed as 20's, and they are more like 19 or so. Starting to forget...but you get the idea. Measure your true tire size, then you will get accurate info from this.

ALSO, something that A LOT of people get hung up on. This isnt how fast "your" quad "will" go, its how fast it "can" go with that gearing.
However, if you can get it to ping off the 9k rev limit in 5th gear, than yeah....your at max gearing potential...and if you had true 20's, you would be doig the 95mph it lists.

Most people cant hit the rev limit in 5th though....it took a down hill for me to, with stock gearing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i was wonderinga bout the accuracy of the speed, how they got the top speeds and such.

is it strictly a formula or could they have tested it on a dyno or something?

another thing about actually being able to reach that speed is air resistance, when you are going that fast it plays a big part and the engine cant get it is limit.

i have never hit the limilter in th 5th,going 83 on a gravel road is scary enough :)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Pro-Pain said:
i was wonderinga bout the accuracy of the speed, how they got the top speeds and such.

is it strictly a formula or could they have tested it on a dyno or something?

another thing about actually being able to reach that speed is air resistance, when you are going that fast it plays a big part and the engine cant get it is limit.

i have never hit the limilter in th 5th,going 83 on a gravel road is scary enough :)

Your completely missing the point. Things like air resistance, weight, power....going up hill with a 500lb rider....none of that matters.
This is showing what your quad is CAPABLE of with the gearing you are running. IF you could hit 9k in each gear, that is what the topspeed would be with "x" gearing in each gear.
As far as achieving the topspeeds....its simple math...a simple formula. You cant argue it, unless you want to argue our mathematics system.

What you can do, is take your 83mph and find out what rpm you are getting up to with your setup. If you are running TRUE 20 inch tires and stock gearing, you would only be turning 7860rpm in 5th.
......get it? You dont have the power to achieve 9k due to things like air resistance, weight, power, or going up hill with a 500lb rider.......but that doesnt mean your quads gearing isnt CAPABLE of 95mph with stock gearing and 20 inch tires.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Your completely missing the point. Things like air resistance, weight, power....going up hill with a 500lb rider....none of that matters.
This is showing what your quad is CAPABLE of with the gearing you are running. IF you could hit 9k in each gear, that is what the topspeed would be with "x" gearing in each gear.
As far as achieving the topspeeds....its simple math...a simple formula. You cant argue it, unless you want to argue our mathematics system.

What you can do, is take your 83mph and find out what rpm you are getting up to with your setup. If you are running TRUE 20 inch tires and stock gearing, you would only be turning 7860rpm in 5th.
......get it? You dont have the power to achieve 9k due to things like air resistance, weight, power, or going up hill with a 500lb rider.......but that doesnt mean your quads gearing isnt CAPABLE of 95mph with stock gearing and 20 inch tires.
[/quote]

Glad you said that some people where missing the point of it, or just didn't know how to use it. They where just looking at 100+ mph and saying dam my bike is fast. If used right it is very helpfull in picking the right gearing, and also remenber that drag racing isn't alway about topend speed.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
..............Yep, I have always checked gearing ratios and such so that I could choose my gearing wisely. Its nice to have these "gearing calculators" so that it takes all the work/math out of it. It does it all for you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
well i didnt COMPLETELY miss the point, i was near it, shit. i was just wondering how the numbers were there, its obvious i wont be doing those speeds.

its a cool prog

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Pro-Pain said:
well i didnt COMPLETELY miss the point, i was near it, shit. i was just wondering how the numbers were there, its obvious i wont be doing those speeds.

its a cool prog
no biggy, just trying to explain. Nothing personal toward you, We just run into this a lot. the frustration isnt because of you, its because of explaining it all the time to many....over and over and over again.

Sorry for coming across as a dick....didnt mean to be! :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Cool Mike, thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
thats cool man you dont need to aopologise, i understand it gets annoying when a million kids ask the same question :grin_nod:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts