Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to ask the question I'm sure others have; If Yamaha offers both performance exhaust and intake why don't they offer some sort of fuel programmer? I spoke with my dealer and they said that Yamaha told them you could run them with the add on's and not worry about any reliablity issues but you would gain performance by adding a programmer seeing that 4-strokes like more fuel. The programmer was only needed to boost performance not to keep it from burning down. They said I need to get 2-strokes out of my mind........

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I'd say you need to pick a different dealer. There are knowlegable dealers that will tell you different and some even have the equipment to adjust the fuel map on the factory ECU for the GYT-R pipes and filters. Bottom line is you either need to have the fuel curve adjusted or you need an aftermarket EFI controller to get the most out of your mods. Anyone that tells you different is not looking out for your best interest's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya Randy but my point really is this; Why does Yamaha offer the performance exhaust and intake but no programmer?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dealer said that if I modified my Raptor, I would need to have the fuel-air checked or it would void my warrenty, or worse, melt it down. :slap:

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
oli700 said:
150 Fuelie said:
I hear ya Randy but my point really is this; Why does Yamaha offer the performance exhaust and intake but no programmer?
If you find the answer let us know because people have been asking that question since August of '05
Well at first I thought liability, but then Yamaha offers jet kits for carbbed units so what's the difference?

My next question, does yamaha offer fuel controllers for any of their EFI bikes? If not it's probably a question of R&D cost, production cost, increased complexity and liability, and reliability issues. Then again, it could just be that the off-road EFI is new enough to them they'd rather have the established companies waste the time and money on R&D and come out with their own when they've got more than one atv with EFI.

I guess I could speculate until the end of time, but I doubt we'll ever know for sure what's going through their mind.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Maddog56 said:
oli700 said:
150 Fuelie said:
If you find the answer let us know because people have been asking that question since August of '05
Well at first I thought liability, but then Yamaha offers jet kits for carbbed units so what's the difference?

My next question, does yamaha offer fuel controllers for any of their EFI bikes? If not it's probably a question of R&D cost, production cost, increased complexity and liability, and reliability issues. Then again, it could just be that the off-road EFI is new enough to them they'd rather have the established companies waste the time and money on R&D and come out with their own when they've got more than one atv with EFI.

I guess I could speculate until the end of time, but I doubt we'll ever know for sure what's going through their mind.
If anything they should relabel an existing controller like allot of the aftermarket companies do

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
150 Fuelie said:
He answered your question.
RaptorRandy27 said:
...equipment to adjust the fuel map on the factory ECU for the GYT-R pipes and filters...
They don't need to use a programmer, because the can adjust the factory ECU. Problem with that solution is that if your battery goes dead, then you loose the adjustment and can't ride the bike until you take it back in :crazy:

Just buy a controller.

Look at street bikes with FI they have had FI for some time now and they are also using aftermarket controllers. The real question is why don't the manufactures make their ECU as easy to adjust as the aftermarket stuff? If you figure that out then let me know. Seems that could be a big selling point. The way I understand it is that is basically what the cherry bomb is for the LT450, and I know I wish I could pipe my bike as easy as those guys.

The bike manufactures should make an input to the ECU so that you can receive a device like a flash drive with your exhaust that contains multiple maps. Each map for different configs like exaust, exaust+no lid, exaust+intake, exaust+intake+no lid… You get the idea. Then there could just be an lcd with toggle buttons to choose the map # you want. Heck they have the onboard computer might as well use it.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
They don't need to use a programmer, because the can adjust the factory ECU. Problem with that solution is that if your battery goes dead, then you loose the adjustment and can't ride the bike until you take it back in

Excellent point about the battery :thumbsup:

You will never have that problem with an EFI controller.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They want you to run lean as $hit so they can sell you a motor in 2 years. Simple business.

·
Registered
314 Posts
well, heres my 2cents on it.

to first answer the question, as a need ..no. sure it will run without it, but is your investment worth the risk of NOT running one. thats the question you should realy ask IMO. ;)

secondly, my wife asked me why in the hell would i want this thing to go any faster as if its not fast enough..
answer..."because it can". if your like me and many others, why not run one? because you know as well as i do your going to come across someone who is running that EFI controller and they are going to piss you off out there and your going to kick yourself all the way home and say, damn i should have had that controller. :banghead:

·
Registered
109 Posts
SE700r said:
secondly, my wife asked me why in the hell would i want this thing to go any faster as if its not fast enough..
I've had my Raptor for 2 weeks and my asked me the same question after I bought the GYT-R filter & intake, PC III, 15T Renthal and just today the LTE Duals. My response was "Do I own anything that is stock?" :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
My buddy has the dobeck controller which while riding had a wire break from where it connects to the battery :eek:. Someone wanted to see our controllers out at Glamis, when he went to show his he noticed it was'nt on. This is when he found the wire had broke. The thing is he didn't even notice a difference in the way it rode with or without it :confused:. But he's not the smartest when it comes to performance products of any sort. There was no damage though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
if it broke while he was riding he might have noticed. If it broke between days on the way there or something he might not have been able to tell.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm pretty sure it came off when not being ridden, he would have noticed

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have heard, from the factory the raptor is pretty leaned out so any aftermarket addons will starve the engine of even more much needed fuel. I plan on buying the GYTR intake, full exhaust and Power Commander EFI Controller and installing them at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.