Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am installing the full Dr D ehxaust and I have a possible problem. The stock header has two separate parts which have a clamp that is welded to the pipe where they connect. The head pipe of the Dr D did not come with a clamp, but kind of looks like it should have. Should there be a clamp?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Most aftermarket exhausts do not use clamps unfortunately. Most dont need them though. If you header slips into the rear part there shouldnt be any problem......due to the direction of flow. IF you had a header that slipped over the rear part, that could be bad...haha.

Dr D has been around long enough that I think he knows this :) :thumbsup:

You'll be fine.

....I do wish though that it was a common practice to utilize an exhaust clamp at the mid pipe and header. I didnt use to have a leak, and now I do. I run the pwr bomb header and TBR exhaust. Its not any big deal, its barely leaking....but still, it shouldnt be leaking at all!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine didn't have a clamp either but fits great with no leak. No there is no mounting on the header for a heat shield but there is one by your calf muscle for you to put one on

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I had to unbend the exhaust pipe to make it fit the header pipe ( it was bent like a D drom shipping I guess). The bad part was it now leaks at the silencer/headpipe junction. So as a temporary fix I put a ss clamp from the local hardware store until I can get a wider diesel exhaust type clamp (wide band of metal). Very nice sound and power is excellent. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
DrDsRaptor said:
Well I had to unbend the exhaust pipe to make it fit the header pipe ( it was bent like a D drom shipping I guess). The bad part was it now leaks at the silencer/headpipe junction. So as a temporary fix I put a ss clamp from the local hardware store until I can get a wider diesel exhaust type clamp (wide band of metal). Very nice sound and power is excellent. Thanks for the replies.
I am curious how you guys are getting clamps to work at all with solid pieces of tubing. Where is the extra material going? Is it crinkling up? Take the stock for example, when you clamp it together your not clamping a solid piece of steel tubing....it has slots cut all around it, so when you tighten it, the steel fingers can flex and move together, getting you a snug fit.

I have tried a clamp on my setup and it didnt come close to working, for this exact reason. there is no place for the extra material to go. You would have to cut fingers into the pipe (rear) half of the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got a rand new silencer portion of the exhaust ( the Dr D) Moto-man.com came through and replaced it even though I had put it on and ran it. So psyched to get it on now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts