Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I ran the bike hard today for the first time with the new setup. Dr D full exhaust, pc III (mapped by fuel moto), k&n with pro design. The head pipe turned blue and silver up close to the head down to the bends. Is this bad? Does it mean the fueling is off. The spark plug looked a little bit black but not wet or caked with soot. Am I going to damage something or does it sound ok?

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Its gonna be really hard to get the stainless an even color. Mine is tuned a tad on the rich side and mine is a blue/purple color here and there.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So does it sound okay to run. It felt strong and ran well. I just don't want to F anything UP.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
You should be just fine. The plug should be sooty around the ring and light brown on the electrode. Its hard to read plugs on these newer quads, especially with EFI, because of the ignition systems on em are far greater than they were 10 years ago. Need a wideband O2 to really see what ya got on A/F.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This is common. Stainless steel and also titanium will discolor because of the heat. Obviously its hotter near the head, thats why its not uniform. Same with motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone told me that meant it was running lean, but with the plug being black I would think it would probably be more on the rich side. I don't really feel like spending three bills to have it dynoed yet. I would like to run it as is for now. So everyone thinks it sounds fine from the description I have given?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Your not really gonna be able to tell if the afr is right by the color of the headers. I mean look at the stock setup from the factory, they glow cherry red and this is ok with yamaha :confused:. Discoloration is normal. My HMF did the same thing. You should be ok, just check the plug after a clean run. Dont let it idle and then check it.

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Blownhotrodder said:
Your not really gonna be able to tell if the afr is right by the color of the headers. I mean look at the stock setup from the factory, they glow cherry red and this is ok with yamaha :confused:. Discoloration is normal. My HMF did the same thing. You should be ok, just check the plug after a clean run. Dont let it idle and then check it.
yup, mine too, my hmf is turning copper colored while the head pipe is turning a nice electric blue :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts