Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
ok I keep reading about the big 3? not wanting to sound a total idiot, but as far as i can make out this term refers to replacement of
1 intake filter, 2, replacement exhaust, 3 replacement or ugraded ignition? take it PC refers to power commander ignition module or add on part.?

now bear in mind its illegal to mod quads here in Spain:wow: however what the eye dont see the heart cannot ponder over:cool:
so dual exhaust is completely out of the question for me or my buddies raptors,
however we can probably get away with a big bore single system as long as it looks somewhat like the standard kit?
Intake filter i have upgraded with a foam filter and sock
now PC presumably plugs into the original ecu and just extends the injector pulse and advances the timing a little to give a bigger bang? is this out of sight with the being plugged into the ecu?
so we are wondering if there is a suitable kit available? is this doable or is it all duals? take it the headers are included in the big 3 and its not just a slip on?
we are at 3000ft elevation here but we often go down to sea level or higher up the mountains depending how we feel testing ourselves and the quads, so the kit would need to cover all eventualities, if not then be easily switchable to cover the different elevations we ride at, as we often tour all day on the quads stopping only for beer food and fuel, and it easily encompasses anything from 0 to 6000ft and sometimes more! however that high the quads get very breathless so we tend to avoid it if we can, we have to run the airbox with lids as its extremely dusty here and then muddy in the winter so airbox lids off is not an option for us.
so if anyone can tell us what we need to know we would be very grateful especially regarding if the new found power would be worth it for us? the quads are pretty damn powerful as they are, and the minimum fuel grade we hafe here is 95 with 98 freely available

sorry for the long post:wow: but it wasnt easy to keep it this short:mad:
any and all information would be gratefully read and digested:haha:
and an idea of price would be good if possible!

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
the big3 for a raptor 700 is and exhaust, air filter, and power programmer which sends more fuel to the motor. The power programmer automatically adjusts for different elevations and temperatures. you do not need and aftermarket ignition system. the power programmer is the same as a jet kit on a carberated motor ;)

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
the big3 for a raptor 700 is and exhaust, air filter, and power programmer which sends more fuel to the motor. The power programmer automatically adjusts for different elevations and temperatures. you do not need and aftermarket ignition system. the power programmer is the same as a jet kit on a carberated motor ;)
Nice explanation Tommy :cool:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
To clarify a bit, the #3 on your list is a piggyback fuel controller and not any type of ignition. There are new fuel controllers coming out that have ignition control built into them, but they don't exist right now and ignition control has nothing to do with the "big 3" as people have been referring to it.

A piggyback fuel programmer increases fuel flow to compensate for the increased airflow achieved with your modifications. Without this the engine runs lean. If you've just replaced your filter and kept the airbox lid in place you likely haven't had too much of a problem. However any modifications to the airbox or exhaust will increase air flow and require more fuel. The raptor's OEM fuel control system compensates for elevation.

You may benefit from an upgraded ignition control module, or since the combination fuel controller/ignition controller boxes should be on the market very soon you may want to wait for one of those. But as I said the ignition control is not a component of the Big 3.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aha!! been reading a lot of posts about it this afternoon, and didnt find much mention of ignition adjustments, so thats explained that then thanks guys, anyone care to enlighten us on a big bore single pipe?with headers?
can see what your saying about waiting, might make sense, but im usually wary of anything new until the people who matter have tried it and given it the thumbs up,i.e the raptor riders!:) purely because we are so far away and we cant just go to a dealer like you guys:wow: everything we do has to be right first time or we are in trouble, i.e no riding and cant have that!!! lol:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts