Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to say this forum has been a HUGE resource to me on my 06 Rappy. This is my first post so I'll try to make it worth y'alls time.

My Bike:
+2 ASR extended A-Arms
+2 Axecaliber Rear Axle
Big 3, Duncan Sport (Came with the bike so zip-it)

Few other mods that have 0 bearing on my question.

What I need to know is will a stock, say Pro-Armor skid plate fit on my ASR +2 extended A-arms?

I did some searching here and didn't find this question already answered, but that doesn't mean it isn't there....

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I have looked for a while, and have not found anything that would fit the extended a arms.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
FLWOODSRAPTOR(Chris) my buddy and mechanic,is a custom fabricating monster. He has a custom set he built for his. Maybe draw up a pattern of your a arms. Maybe he could do or coach you thru if you got metal working experience. That's about all I can help with. You gotta custom make em.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like we have a business opportunity here!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are those Skids Sheet metal? I have a 'Suit-Case' Mig welder I just haven't perfected my Aluminum welding skills... May be time to practice.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Everything Chris builds is top notch, that's why he's my mechanic. He's 1/2 peers of KC's classic customs. They make cars as good as Chip Foose. He knows his stuff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you fab the upper part of the skid securing bracket? More brake work?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Skids...

This is what I ended up with. I could not find any skids manufactured by someone else so I made my own! .190 thick 6061 Aluminum, cost me $36 for a plate of it almost big enough to make 2 sets. Then $40 for a local welder to throw a super thick front and backside bead on it. A little time with my skill saw + carbon blade, angle grinder + sanding pad, and a file...

I'm thrilled with them, I almost don't even want to use them cause they sooo purrrdy!

I thought y'all engineering types would get a kick out of this so...

Attachments

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Those look great man! With the tabs welded on the A-arms they're not going anywhere. I did the bottom like you did but I made clamps for the top. GOOD JOB!:thumbsup: Now get rid of those pogo stick front shocks and you'll be set!:grin_nod:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I think the accurate statement would be 'I' did the bottom mounts like 'you' did. It was your skids that I got the idea for that from. I noticed you drilled the holes on the out-board part of the shock mount though. I thought about it then decided to go for the easier, more meat on the in-board. With the hardened grade 10.9 button head M8's I doubt it'll go anywhere :)

Don't worry yourself too much about the pogo's they wont be there for too long. Just have to find the right deal on a better set... Hey, orange wouldn't look too bad on my bike would it ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you misunderstood the thread. As far as I or anyone else has chimed in so far there are 0 options for skid plates on extended A-Arms. Myself and Fl. Woods Raptor took it upon ourselves to do a little home grown skid plate action. IF you have the time, I'm sure you could devise something of your own. If you have stock A-Arms, then the possibilities are limitless.

I will say this, my bud Cajones managed to find a rock/bolder to smack his skid plate into a couple weeks ago. I spent the rest of the ride with his skid plate under my tie downs on my 6-pack rack. His was also not .190inch thick, probably closer to 1/8inch. Moral of that story is, I would go thicker if possible...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.