Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am desperste for extra fuell on the raptor and i couldnt find anything for under 1000usd. so why dont i just put a 4 gallon tank on the rear grab bar and be done with it while I figure something else? wait i just figured it out while typing....i can easilly brake the subframe if i go hard.....what about if i put it on the seat real close to me......

please give me some ideas....

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Out N' Back Rack maybe ? Won't hold THAT much, but 4 Gallons is a LOT of extra fuel

What bike do you have ? IMS (I think it was) makes a larger gas tank for the 660 - don't think they ever came out with a 700 version though.

The Long Distance Endurance guys generally have those nerf-mount extra tanks. Sure you can pay a pretty penny for them somewhere, or possibly fab up your own if you have the skills/equipment

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
4gal is like 40lbs of fuel. It wont crack the subframe, because you can stand on the grab bar and do a wheelie. Maybe you could rig something up behind the front bumper, so it is protected. Have you checked out Clarke or IMS tanks?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
A good water tight container in the backpack is always an option as well. Hell, I used to carry a bottle in my storage box on the front bump sometimes if I was doing a long enough ride that I was concerned.

Another good option (is possible) is having your buddy w/ a utility bike haul the extra fuel. Good idea to hook him up with some cash or gas for carrying the extra load for you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have the storage tube upfront.

it wont brake the subframe, but after 600 miles of whoops it may crack it, and you dont know what you may encounter in the race, maybe a jump or something.

nobody makes a simple solucion on gas for the raptor 700.

I am in the process of fabbing my own, but it isnt as easy. already found a guy taht puts 2 2.5 gallon tanks on each nerf and an electrical pump, all conected to the main tank for 800 bucks.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just checked out the out n back rack, it looks good. but only one gallon. i bet it cant take much abuse and it will really spoil your ride for a race. I rally race, anywhere between 200 and 600 miles per event

·
Registered
214 Posts
I already have the storage tube upfront.

it wont brake the subframe, but after 600 miles of whoops it may crack it, and you dont know what you may encounter in the race, maybe a jump or something.
true however I weigh 285 lb and a few times while double up with my girl (155 lb) have gone off a jump (on accident) where she has come down and got the grab bar mashed into her rear. and mine still has no cracks in the subframe

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Yessir, that's an '89 Honda Pilot. FL400 (400cc 2 stroke). Damn fun ! That's my Pops' ride.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
:)Nice..as far as the gas goes...You can get a 6 pack rack & cary a 2 gal can with no prob..Not quite the 4 you were looking for but it's a start.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
just checked out the out n back rack, it looks good. but only one gallon. i bet it cant take much abuse and it will really spoil your ride for a race. I rally race, anywhere between 200 and 600 miles per event
How many miles are you getting on the stock tank?

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Seg, looks nice. How fast is it, 65-70mph? It looks pretty cramped. How does it jump, I could see the front or rear coming down to quick and rolling it in the dunes:wow:

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
That doesnt leave alot of room to move around. That is a nice quad though:wow: I am not seeing how it would cost $800.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That doesnt leave alot of room to move around. That is a nice quad though:wow: I am not seeing how it would cost $800.
it has plenty of legroom to move around, not for an mx track, but for endurance racing you dont need that much room. aluminium and aluminium welding here is very expensive

1 - 20 of 32 Posts