Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hipe you can read this and it makes sense

well today i went to work on my bike picked up some free oil and chain lube that was a plus.. then i wen to my parents house got my 660 out started wrenching on it everything was going fine beings it was my first time working hardcore on a quad.. (swapping piston rings and valve seals) let me tell you i think it is the dumbest thing having allen key heads instead of a regular bolt head pain in the ass that was.. sat there the whole time messing around with an allen key lol... i finally get everything apart go clean it up and start to put it back together..(motor on bike) i grab my new rings purchased on ebay with listing new in box hah cleaned off in box is more like it and i didnt know it came with 2 sets either so that was alittle confusing at first tryn to seperate old and the set the looked new after realizing the issue.. so i figured it out went to put cylinder on wtf another pain in the ass. i couldnt get the rings in far enough to have cylinder slide down. i fooled around with it probally about 45 minutes. and some how now i got a piece missing out of my skirt i guess it hit the connecting rod and took that chunk out. so i just stop and took the rest of the motor out of the bike figured it would be easier.. only good thing i did and acomplished today was putting a new stator in lol. so now im thinking of seeing how much i can get for the motor and making a project for my self with a streetbike engine im sure it will be harder trying to get the frame and cables fabricated for the frame but oh well.. and to top off the frustration i have my gf and dad talking crap lol what to do.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Which part is mising a pice of the skirt? Piston skirt or the lower part of the cylinder?

I wouldnt mess with putting new rings on a used piston. Just buy a new piston, it will come with new rings, and wrist pin.

You obvesly dont have the right tools. Go to ace harware and buy a set of metric allen sockets for a ratchet. Dont mess with an actual allen wrench.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea thats what i should have done i thought about the allen sockets thats about the only thing i didnt have is them.. and the piston skirt its literally the size of half a nickel

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
What part is the pice missing from ? The piston, or the bottom part of the cylinder? If it broke from the piston just get a new piston. Something like a 11:1 Wiseco.

·
Registered
521 Posts
the only time i used an actual allen wrench putting my engine back into the raptor was for the one oil line that is on the back of the engine.. had to use an allen wrench that had the rounded end so you could use it at an angle, the allen socket wouldnt fit

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If you think that rebuilding an engine is hard, wait til you try to install a totally different engine into a frame............it isnt impossible, but will be a challenge........

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Just a minor set back, I went thro a LOT of thoes with my build.Keep your head up. I have a great way to install your rings but you must be carfull. I get a big hose clamp & after I get my rings positiond on the piston I install the hose clamp over the rings carfully tighten the clamp so the rings are pushed in there slots ( not to tight & not to loose) then carfully slide your cyl over the piston.. I did it several times with no problem..
Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
banshee that actually sounds like a great idea and i think im going to go with a wiseco 11.1 piston. also i think they make something like for the piston to

1 - 11 of 11 Posts