Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter/ fall will be the first with this machine. Just wondering is there anything you guys do before winter thats important i should know. It get's to about -45Celcius up here. At the moment im calling around town to look into renting out a heat storage locker for the winter as i dont have heat where i store it. Also im thinking about riding it a few times in the winter to, anything i need to do to prepare it for winter riding.

Thanks8)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Change the oil out for 5W30. You may want to get a bottle of WD to spray down the bike. Excluding the break pads and rotors of course. Salt can cause some rust on the frame etc. Remember when the snow melts it will embed the salt on the frame inducing rust so brush off all the snow before putting it away. I think there is a product out there finalsol that will help prevent this too. never tried them but see ppl riding scooters in NYC with them its like a glove for the grips and the break/clutch lever blocking the cold wind. I would also recommend investing in a case off beer,large tube, big open field and a tow rope.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
A battery tender is a must. It will help you battery stay good throughout the winter and last alot longer then it will if you let it sit. I have just rode it like normal in the winter but I leave the snow for my Snowmobiles now. Every time I went riding in the snow me or someone I was with would somehow trash a transmission. It has been awhile since I have ruined a trans but I think its the spinning and then catching traction that must do it. I still ride them in the snow just not as much as I use to and plus sleds are WAY faster anyway...

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
This winter/ fall will be the first with this machine. Just wondering is there anything you guys do before winter thats important i should know. It get's to about -45Celcius up here. At the moment im calling around town to look into renting out a heat storage locker for the winter as i dont have heat where i store it. Also im thinking about riding it a few times in the winter to, anything i need to do to prepare it for winter riding.

Thanks8)
Thin oil/LET IT WARM UP :)
Battery tender 20 bucks and your set. Start it once a month and let idle/ride.

It gets about 20 Bellow up here lol

·
VIP
1,057 Posts
Don't forget some fuel stabilzer in the tank if it is going to sit for longer than 2 months at a time. :thumbsup:

Depending on how old your quad is, you may also want to test the anti-freeze or better yet just change it for some fresh stuff.

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A battery tender is a must. It will help you battery stay good throughout the winter and last alot longer then it will if you let it sit. I have just rode it like normal in the winter but I leave the snow for my Snowmobiles now. Every time I went riding in the snow me or someone I was with would somehow trash a transmission. It has been awhile since I have ruined a trans but I think its the spinning and then catching traction that must do it. I still ride them in the snow just not as much as I use to and plus sleds are WAY faster anyway...
ya im gonna change the anti freeze in it, i put new stuff in when i got it this year but just to be on the safe side...and whats a battery tender???? haha noob i no...im gonna assume it just holds the charge or something? where do i get one dealer or just anywhere like canadian tire or walmart?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Everything that's been said so far is good. I'd add the following:

- Let it warm up at least 3-4 min before even thinking of moving it
- We put a cardboard on the radiator when it's -10 celcius or less, esp if it's windy otherwise it won't hold it's temp. We cover 100% of the rad.
- 4snow tires if you're going to ride snow with 2-3 psi.
- You might need to remove your nerf bars or heel baskets with the 4snow, they'll rub when they expand
- If you have a set of crappy old front tires available, put a bunch of ice screws in 'em and put that up front. This is a major addition to the fun factor in icy conditions.. tracks better than summertime :)

The battery goes dead quick when it's cold so keeping it tended is a very good idea!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
whats a battery tender???? haha noob i no...im gonna assume it just holds the charge or something? where do i get one dealer or just anywhere like canadian tire or walmart?
Y'a it's a low amp battery charger.. Lots of the bigger ones have an option for it but you can get a very small one for like 20-25$ at Canadian Tire.

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Y'a it's a low amp battery charger.. Lots of the bigger ones have an option for it but you can get a very small one for like 20-25$ at Canadian Tire.

ok cool so would i just connect it after every ride when storing it or can it stayed connected the even when i go for rides

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
ok cool so would i just connect it after every ride when storing it or can it stayed connected the even when i go for rides
It's a miniature battery charger so you don't actually leave it on the bike when you ride. If you ride it every week you'd probably be OK without one, but when it gets really cold, the battery drains out pretty quick.

Another thing to take into account is your GPS, camera, or anything that uses stand-alone batteries. I use a GPS as my speedometer because it's required in my area and I had to hook it to the main battery because the AA batteries it uses would just freeze to death in the winter time... I'd get 1 hour tops of use out of them. Hooked it to the bike's 12V last winter and had no issues since :)

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Ok you said to cover up the radiator but I asked a friend about that and he freaked out and said that it might over heat because it cant work right.
But I said what if it runs cold and h said it wouldn't because there is a thermostat.
I'm LOST.

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a miniature battery charger so you don't actually leave it on the bike when you ride. If you ride it every week you'd probably be OK without one, but when it gets really cold, the battery drains out pretty quick.

Another thing to take into account is your GPS, camera, or anything that uses stand-alone batteries. I use a GPS as my speedometer because it's required in my area and I had to hook it to the main battery because the AA batteries it uses would just freeze to death in the winter time... I'd get 1 hour tops of use out of them. Hooked it to the bike's 12V last winter and had no issues since :)

ok cool ill probably only ride it once a month so ill be getting one, i dont see myself riding it lots in the winter. Ya i dont have a speedometer thinking of buying one though.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Ok you said to cover up the radiator but I asked a friend about that and he freaked out and said that it might over heat because it cant work right.
But I said what if it runs cold and h said it wouldn't because there is a thermostat.
I'm LOST.
You'd think that but this winter me and my best ridding buddy had to do it. My friend had engine ice in it from the summer and his bike wouldn't even reach 140 degrees. Mine would get to 170 eventually and take forever to get there... Anything under 160 runs like crap in my experience...

We both used a full size cardboard for the rest of the winter and never had any overheating or underheating issues.

Mind you, the temps were particularly cold up here last winter... Most of the time we were ridding in -20 to -30 celcius and lots of our trails in the winter are in open and flat fields, lots of wind..

The thermostat is irrelevant if the engine can't keep it's temp.. It was cold enough and there was enough wind to keep it cold without the thermostat ever opening.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
You'd think that but this winter me and my best ridding buddy had to do it. My friend had engine ice in it from the summer and his bike wouldn't even reach 140 degrees. Mine would get to 170 eventually and take forever to get there... Anything under 160 runs like crap in my experience...

We both used a full size cardboard for the rest of the winter and never had any overheating or underheating issues.

Mind you, the temps were particularly cold up here last winter... Most of the time we were ridding in -20 to -30 celcius and lots of our trails in the winter are in open and flat fields, lots of wind..

The thermostat is irrelevant if the engine can't keep it's temp.. It was cold enough and there was enough wind to keep it cold without the thermostat ever opening.
Ok I will try it because I have an over sized tank too! :)

Yeah it's about -23C here too and going though all that snow it build up on my motor too

·
Registered
448 Posts
Watch for those awesome loss of traction corners and be prepared for spin out fun with the rear wheel drive. I went of the trail last year bc I was cocky fish tailing in the snow

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to slide down the roads sideways going 40+ until the neighbors thought it would be funny to put sand on em by their houses.

Lol thats hilarious but its not at the same time lol....sounds fun though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts